“Delicious! Unbelievable Service! Great Sunsets!”

Mad Hatter Restaurant
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Funky little elegant restaurant with really delicious fare and top notch service! Definitely not your run of the mill beach food! Great for special occasions!

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Limited parking around sunset but you can park across the road at the general store. I ordered the scallops for $29 and got three. They were bery good but $10 a scallop was a shocker. Tables are very close together so don't expect private conversations. The night we went there was a drunk.

1  Thank surferjoy1
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Party of 5, everything was delicious. Unique salads, very fresh. Delicious fish, scallops? My only complaint, I asked to have some shrimp, or fish, added to salad, but they would not accommodate, said chef would not deviate from the menu. Otherwise everything was very good , service excellent, great view. Recommend.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

I start by saying this is still the best restaurant on Sanibel. Yes, it is expensive, but we haven't found any restaurant since 2010 that is better. The setting by the beach is lovely. We have visited Mad Hatter around 3 times a year. On all our other visits I would have awarded 5 stars however, our meal last night wasn't the best- and that was the consensus of all four of us. For example, I had crab cake to start and my daughter had them for a main course and they just weren't as great as they usually taste. I had the special 'sea food risotto'. The sea food was cooked well- but the rice was overcooked, tasteless and like a bowl of oatmeal. I wondered if Chef Kurt was not cooking on Saturday evening, as the food wasn't up to normal standard.

Apart from a slight hiccup with the lady showing us to our table, telling my husband to wait for the server to take a drinks order, the service was excellent, as always- everything runs smoothly and drinks are refreshed instantly as you need them.

We'll eat here again in December and hopefully be able to report the normally excellent food is back to full strength!

3  Thank SanibelGirl6033
Reviewed August 19, 2013

This is a small elegant restaurant situated right on the gulf so every table has a nice view of the water. The food was excellent as was the wine. Service was also very good.