“Fun Place”

Doc Ford's Rum Bar & Grille Sanibel Island
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood, Grill
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Description: Doc Ford's Rum Bar & Grille is the place to find the best Caribbean flavors on Sanibel Island and surrounding areas! It is named after the character from author Randy Wayne White's best-selling book series and is a favorite dining spot for travelers from all over the world as well as a favorite for the locals looking for great food and atmosphere!
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Went there in August for the first time. Loved my salad. I am not a big fish eater, but there were choices for those who don't eat fish. After reading about the place in Randy White's books, it was fun to finally visit the place.

Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

Everyone in our group raved about their food. Three in our group had the crab cakes with key lime sauce and another had salmon-they said they were among the best they have eaten. Service was great.

1  Thank IntlBookTraveler
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Went to Doc's based on the reviews. The exterior and interior are a bit disconnected. Plenty of televisions playing sports channel and ESPN. Plenty of drink choices including lemonade and ice tea for the land lubbers. Calamari appetizer was a nice size portion but greasy. Ribs were average with watery cole slaw, the snapper wrapped in banana leaf was buried in a pesto, paella was full of fish but without saffron. Service is friendly and attentive. If you're looking for a large bill for average food, belly up to the bar. There are plenty of better places.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

This is a must eat at restaurant when visiting Sanibel. Every time we come, we stop here before we even go to our hotel. The Yucatan Shrimp is just amazing, it is simply one of my favorite dishes. Just give me that dish with a hunk of bread and I am in heaven. We have also tried many other dishes here, and they have all been very good. The Mojitos are pretty good too! If you are visiting Sanibel, this is a place you must go to.

Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

We went based on the reviews. We had a great and friendly waitress. We had the Yucatan shrimp and the raw oysters as appetizers. They were amazing. The oysters were fresh. The Yucatan shrimp were big. The sauce that it comes with is a big spicy, which I love. They give you bread to dip in the Yucatan sauce, sooo good!
I ordered the shrimp and grits which was very good. My husband order the chef special with sea scallops and vegetable hash with crab. His food was way better. The scallops were seared to perfection.

We had dessert. My son had the brownie which was ok. My husband had the carrot cake, not impressed. I had the key lime pie. I didn't like it too much because it tasted a lot like mint but my husband loved it.

My husband ordered their aged rum and he was very pleased with it.

1  Thank Lisavill