“Loved the tropical salad!”

Doc Ford's Rum Bar & Grille Sanibel Island
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood, Grill
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Description: Doc Ford's Rum Bar & Grille is the place to find the best Caribbean flavors on Sanibel Island and surrounding areas! It is named after the character from author Randy Wayne White's best-selling book series and is a favorite dining spot for travelers from all over the world as well as a favorite for the locals looking for great food and atmosphere!
Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

This place was busy and we now know why... They have delicious food. I had the tropical salad and it was delightful! I want to try to replicate it when I get home. The service was good and the overall atmosphere was nice as well. We would go back.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,654)

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Took the family to Doc Ford's and had a great time. Don't be discouraged by the long wait. Grab a drink and settle in. We met lots of good people to talk to and once we sat down we enjoyed huge portions of good food. My son ordered buffalo shrimp and everyone thought they were awesome. The fish is fresh, the burgers are good and overall we came away feeling positive about the place. We'll definitely go back the next time we are in Sanibel.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Food is incredible and very reasonably priced. We sat outside under the stars and our waiter (Sam - from Russia) gave us the best service we have had in a very long time. Impeccable!

There is something for everyone. Husband and I had the Ceviche, Crab Cakes and Baby Back Ribs. MMMM Friends had Mussels and Grouper sandwich. Best in town!

1  Thank Valerie D
Reviewed April 28, 2013

If you want to sit outside (inside too) and enjoy good food with live entertainment this is the place for you. You can have a nice lunch while absorbing the natical flavor of the area. Watch boats passing, look over the shrimping fleet and enjoy the view looking over Mantazas Pass.

1  Thank Roger P
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We initially thought we would not go to Doc Fords, as it somehow seemed a little "touristy" from the descriptions that I read before our trip. Well, after being on Captiva (and Sanibel) and hearing from some folks that we should go there, we did. GLAD WE DID! Yes, it's a bit unlike most of the other Sanibel restaurants in that it's not teeny, pastel and overly beachy...it's got vaulting ceilings and is a sort of cross between a seafood place and a sports bar (in that there are big screens hanging up). BUT, the FOOD WAS GREAT...we started with the Caribbean Jerk Tostadas, which were excellent. Great jerk flavor and unusual spices...nice portion for 4 people to split. We all loved it to the point that we sat there trying to figure out the ingredients so that we could replicate it at home. One daughter had a big bowl of the chowder (which was creamy and delicious) and I had the Campeche Fish Tacos. First time having a fish taco, as they never really appealed to me. But, figuring we were by the water, I thought I'd go for it. They were awesome. Crunchy red cabbage, papaya, grilled fish...yum, yum, yum. All the ingredients were fresh and well prepared. We've since trying making those at home, too, they were that good. My husband enjoyed his meal, too, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was (sorry). BUT, one of the big reasons Doc Ford's earns points from me is that they were the only restaurant in 6 days of staying on Captiva Island that offered my young daughter either french fries OR BROCCOLI with her lunch. God bless them!! At every other place, there was not an offering of an alternative, healthy side for a child off the child's menu.
Go to Doc Ford's...you'll enjoy the food, the atmosphere is nice, staff is courteous, place is clean and you'll walk away happy and satisfied, unlike some of the other lunch spots on the island.