“Good food, beautiful view”

Gramma Dot's Seaside Saloon
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Gorgeous view, excellent service, delicious food. Prices were average for this type of food in this area. The only thing I'd caution about is that this is a small place (part of its charm), which means there is not a lot of room for squirmy kids. That's not a criticism of the restaurant, just something good to know ahead of time if you have children under 10.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,634)

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Lunch at Gramma Dot's has its benefits, particularly if you like homemade potato chips. They were, I think, the highlight of the meal, although the New England Clam Chowder was quite good too.

I ordered the Coconut Curry Lobster, which was, on its own, very good. The curry flavor was not overpowering and the coconut added a different and welcome flavor to the standard lobster salad. On the down side, however, was the fruit that came with it: the grapes were fine, but the strawberries and blackberries were not fresh and the honeydew was not ripe.

My wife had the mesquite grouper, which she liked so much she forgot to offer me a taste. So, I can't speak from experience here, but she clearly thought it was delicious. If you are wondering how to order it (mesquite, grilled or blackened), the locals order it mesquite, according to our friendly waitress).

One issue that cannot go without mentioning is that the restaurant uses an enormous amount of styrofoam cups and soup bowls. It is disconcerting to be in the marina, looking over the beautiful water, eating in such an unsustainable and irresponsible way. I hope they reconsider the heavy use of styrofoam in the future.

2  Thank cplong
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I would recommend the grouper caesar salad. There were a variety of ways the grouper could be prepared and the helpful server gave me very good advice regarding which to choose (mesquite grilled, the way everyone who works there has it!). It is also available as a sandwich but I prefer salads. Everyone else in my party seemed to enjoy their lunches as well. My husband definitely found the lobster salad to his liking. I am sure this would be a great place to have dinner as well.
My only criticism of Dot's is all the throwaway serveware and styrofoam!! I haven't had coffee in a styrofoam cup in...I can't remember when. My daughters were served their hot soups in styrofoam soup cups. Yuck! That stuff is nasty and it degrades when hot things are in them such that we're digesting it along with our meals/drinks. I would strongly suggest Dot's invest in some ceramic serving pieces and a dishwasher to make the meal more environmentally friendly and pleasant for diners!

Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

Located in Ireland's Marina this place is a little gem. Lots of choice and a great selection of seafood. The service is friendly and informal and as usual portions are generous and very much like home cooking.our table had sword fish, coconut shrimp, filet mignon and lobster. Highly recommended.

Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Peal and eat shrimp were a great appetizer. It was served with fruit and yogurt which seemed odd but was a good pairing. We had the Stone Crab Claw special and blackened Grouper. Both were served with mixed veggies, potato croquet (delicious) and the fruit and yogurt in a chocolate shell. Grouper was blackened but tasted like it was grilled over Mesquite. Key lime pie is a must have!

Meal was a little pricey but portion size was large and the food very tasty. Overall I would make a future trip here if I was in Sanibel.