“Thoroughly enjoyed the Sandbar on Sanibel”
Review of The Sandbar

The Sandbar
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Since opening in 2013, The Sandbar has become known for its incredibly fresh seafood and choice cuts of beef and pork. We take great pride in having the best service staff on the islands. Check out the reviews or come in and find out for yourself!
Reviewed March 15, 2014

My wife and I just returned from a 2-week vacation on Sanibel Island where for more than 15 years we've stayed at The Shalimar on West Gulf. Chet and Nancy, owners of The Shalimar, opened The Sandbar last year--and it was very good then. It's even better now. During our stay, we at there 3 times: once for lunch and twice for dinner. Each time it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. The waitstaff was very attentive and professional--and nice on top of all that. The food was creative and delicious. My wife diverged from seafood one evening and had a filet she pronounced delicious. I enjoyed the coconut shrimp one evening and tile fish another. I'd never heard of tile fish, but it was prepared very well and was delicious. We tried the Boom Boom Shrimp as an appetizer at lunch. Very interesting--and very tasty. We'll do it again.

All in all, The Sandbar is proving itself to be a real winner on West Gulf--and it's so convenient for those of us who are lucky enough to stay at The Shalimar.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,198)

Reviewed March 12, 2014

First of all, we had a reservation at 7pm and weren't seated until 7:15. We reviewed the menus quickly and ordered our wine and entrees at the same time. At 7:30, I still did not have a glass of wine in my hand. A bad start.

The decor is odd. Two widescreen TV's in the bar area of a 'higher end'' restaurant? A partial tile roof covering the bar area? And a (partial) retail fish sales area? And you have to walk to the middle of the restaurant to get to the check-in station? Odd.

To be fair, the bread was very good. The key lime pie was very good. Everything else was ok. The salad was mostly iceberg and overly saturated. The chowder was tasty but overly thick and not laced with the 'massive amount of clams' advertised. The entree labeled the Bronze Platter of grouper, shrimp and scallops consisted of very bland grouper (?) ok shrimp and ONE medium sized scallop. Ok, but nothing special. The pacing of our service was very, very, very slow. Slow. Did I say slow?

One of my companion's entree was a paiai-like dish. It was ok but unspectacular for the price.

My other companion ordered 'starters' as their main dish. They were ok.

The noise level was WAY TOO HIGH (CAPS INTENTIONAL). We had to speak very loudly to be heard across the table.

So, overall, ok food, below average ambience. Not worth the premium charged.

2  Thank t g
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Sharing crab cake appetizer & cranberry/goat cheese enhanced salad while hubbies enjoyed crab bisque & boom-boom shrimp - yummy! Our fish entrees exceeded our expectations. An efficient waitress added to our delight as she explained dinner options - mixed grille: a true winner w/grilled red snapper, single sea scallop & 3-4 large shrimp/accompanying veggies - string beans/carrot. I ordered sea scallops only - all large & cooked perfectly. All in all, a lovely PM dinner as we thoroughly enjoyed the local artist's drawings prominently displayed throughout the eatery. Comfortable setting & not too noisy for a lively restaurant.

1  Thank Denise L
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Very good dining experience in a friendly, lively restaurant. We were with someone in a wheelchair and staff was very helpful in finding an appropriate table. Food was fine and wide choices available. Only drawback was the live music, which was too loud for the space where we were. Farther off tables might have been better.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Very attractive little place with a very attentive bartender. Liz directed us to the yummy special appetizers served at a discounted price before 5 PM. I had the boom-boom shrimp. Delicious! There are five or six items offered and all got rave reviews from out group of eight. Will return for dinner.

The art work is very special....fun and beachy. We took note of the the artist. Check her work out when you visit. Good time had by all!