“Bump up the service and 5 Stars for Starfish.”
Review of Starfish Grille - CLOSED

Starfish Grille
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Oh, Starfish Grille. I hope you figure out, someday, what you want to be. When that day comes, you will have the PERFECT restaurant. The food, for dinner, is wonderful. I had some of the best fish tacos I have ever had. The decor is beautiful, tranquil, soft & serene. The service, though, is scattered, confused and not prepared for busy times. On X-mas night, we sat at our table for, literally, 45 minutes (we timed it). Not a single server greeted us, told us they would be right with us, etc. We just sat there, as though invisible. This was after gracing the Starfish Grille, two, separate times, prior. We were staying at the Holiday Inn, where Starfish is attached. The hostess (she called herself a consultant) didn't even remember us, after having a 2-hour, wine-fueled conversation with us, on our first night of dining. We could not tell who the manager was (if there was one) or who was in charge. For breakfast, they ran out of orange juice (in Florida?). At dinner, there were many liquors that our waiter couldn't guarantee were in stock. Not a good sign. All the elements are there for a PERFECT restaurant. Now, it needs management and a trained staff. With these additions, this restaurant could be unstoppable. With the beach access, for a post-dinner stroll, there is no reason the Starfish Grille, after some REAL management and hefty promotion, can't be the King of Eats on the Island.

chris w, Owner at Starfish Grille, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Hello,

Upon reading your review I was stunned, to say the least!

We send our sincere apologies to you and your party for the experience you had on Christmas day.

Your were correct with your assumption that there was not a manager on duty that day. I am the owner and manager. Christmas eve I came down with a flu virus and was out Christmas and the 26th as well.

Our other manager was on Holiday. We had our busiest day of the year on Christmas and the staff attempted to service properly all of our customers. Somehow, your table was neglected. Why no one recognized this and corrected the situation I do not know. However, this instance will be a focal point moving forward.

I was glad to hear that two previous visits to the Starfish Grille went well for you.
Your Christmas experience should of never occurred.

We pride ourselves on being passionate about all guests that enter our doors. To be neglected for 45 minutes is inexcusable..

Your well written review will be the topic of our weekly staff meeting.

From all of us here at the Starfish Grille, please accept our sincere apologies.
Please visit us again.

Chris W.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

We have had breakfast lunch & dinner and enjoyed everything. We were treated like family for breakfast by Rosie and her staff. They remembered personal preferences.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

... that's what my hubby called it after having a perfectly average dinner here. The dining room, as others have mentioned, is inviting and fun, with star lights hanging from the ceiling and accents of ocean blue. Our server was pleasant. The pretty aqua napkins were synthetic and kept slipping off our laps, forcing us to get the server to replace them.

The food was alright. I ordered the shrimp scampi over pasta and what arrived wasn't an actual shrimp scampi. It had other flavors and non-scampi ingredients in it, but it was OK ... that is, if you thought of it as some kind of shrimp dish you might get in a good cafeteria. My hubby ordered a grouper puttanesca special that he describes as non-descript. My rum punch-type cocktail looked like soda pop but was decent, albeit a little sweet even for a rum punch.

We won't be back here and I'm regretting haven forgotten to bring the discount coupon.

1  Thank Anne C
Reviewed December 9, 2013

This is a very cool restaurant at the Holiday Inn on Sanibel Island. The food is great and the atmosphere is interesting. There is an upside down tree in the middle of the restaurant. Of course it isn't real, but it's cool. There are illuminated stars hanging around the ceiling of the restaurant. The place glows. Its neat! My husband and daughter loved the shark bites appetizer and I loved the shrimp cocktail. The dinner rolls were to die for! We liked it so much we went back a few days later. If you get the chance walk around the grounds of the Holiday Inn. It's right on the ocean. It was absolutely beautiful. Prettier than the resort we were staying in. Overall, great place to eat.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

The food was amazing. And we love the tiki bar! We finally decided to eat at the resturaunt one night and was very pleased. We would like to give a special thank you to Wes. We've seen him down at the tiki on his golf cart and he's always so pleasant. He always puts a smile on our faces. So we were thrilled to see him inside the resturaunt. He's always putting in so much work! We love the starfish and Wes!!