“Hidden Gem”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

We have been coming to Sanibel for over 25 years. We have seen a steady decline in the restaurants over the last 10 years.

Since there was no compelling favorite to provide our dining business, we decided to try the Starfish Grille. We are so glad we did. Everyone in our party loved their food.

For appetizers, we had seared scallops in a tarragon butter sauce and bruschetta with wild mushrooms and goat cheese. Both were outstanding! I was especially impressed with the bruschetta. The mixture of the goat cheese and balsamic vinegar really combined to create an amazing sauce for the mushrooms on the Bruschetta.

The entrees were excellent. My wife had a Filet Mignon which was perfectly cooked and exceedingly tender. I had the flash fried grouper in a caper sage butter sauce.

In addition, we loved the atmosphere. It is a trendy and whimsical oasis in the midst of the typical unimaginative Sanibel restaurant decors. The Starfish Grille would have been right at home on South Beach in Miami. We really appreciated the tree in the middle of the restaurant with glowing paper star lanterns. Also, the bar was set up to have a blue lighting under the bar. This is the type of bar that you could spend hours enjoying tropical and trendy concoctions

The only drawback of the night was that for our party of 7, two of our dinners, inexplicably, didn't arrive with the rest of the entrees. There seemed to be some confusion on the part of our waitresses about this and it took about 10 minutes before it was resolved. While this may have made some people irate, we were all enjoying each others company so it ended up only a small nuisance. It more than made up for the wait when we tasted the quality of our dinner. The other couple with us vouched for the fact that this was an unusual occurrence.

I wish more people knew about this restaurant. I felt like I have found a hidden gem that is yet to be discovered by many Sanibel travelers.

Can't wait to come back

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Staying at the hotel with the family over Thanksgiving. Had been here 2 years ago and had a really nice turkey dinner. Last night, however, was completely the opposite. I really wish I had taken a photo of the plate that was brought to me. About a tablespoon each of corn, stuffing, green beans, mashed potato, cranberries, and some shredded up turkey. The turkey looked like the bits you save after you "pick it" when you make the bird at home. The saddest looking meal I have ever been served. At $32, it should have been an overloaded plate! Our server forgot to offer soup and salad before bringing out the main course. So I had a tiny salad afterwards. The balamic dressing was delicious, but there was about as much lettuce as on a burger.
Apple crisp was not. It was more like a buckle, a soft sugary biscuit-like topping. It was ok. The pumpkin pie was pretty good, though. Overall a huge disappointment. I promised the kids I will make turkey dinner when we get home!

chris w, Owner at Starfish Grille, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

We sincerely apologize for experience. It seems as thought there was a communication breakdown with our server and your group. Our Thanksgiving Day special was "unlimited" for $32.95.

Our special was : Choice of soup or salad.

Turkey served with mash potatoes,gravey,cranberry sauce,corn,greenbean casserole and dinner rolls.

Choice of Pumpkin pie or Apple crisp with a scoop of ice-cream.

Our customers were re ordering turkey and sides throughout the day and into the evening.

It seems as though the "endless" concept was not explained properly to you and we are certainly sorry about that!

Please revisit us again on your next trip and permit us to do something special for you.
Chris W.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Delightful first stay in Sanibel Island and we enjoyed all our meals at Starfish Grill & their Tiki Bar. We will returni at the end of November & will definitely be dining there again.
We received excellent personalized service.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

We had our annual meeting at the Starfish grill and could not have asked for more. The service was excellent. I was expecting self service for our large group, but was pleasantly surprised at how attentive everyone was to our needs. The food was excellent we had a breakfast buffet. Everything was fresh and cooked to perfection. Thank you for making our meeting special. FYI we have lunch a lot there also and it is always fabulous also.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Food is very good with nice atmosphere and friendly staff. Most nights they have a special event like 2 for 1 wine nights .

1  Thank Beachbum21550