“Good Value, Great Food & Beer, More Wait Staff Needed”
Review of Fresh Taqueria

Fresh Taqueria
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Fresh Taqueria has an eclectic menu that fuses Mexican Spanish and Southern cuisines. Our menu changes frequently depending upon what is available from local farms. We offer many gluten free and vegetarian options on our menu. Our food is prepared fresh daily sourced from local and sustainable sources. We are located in the red building across from suntrust on Periwinkle Way. Our parking lot is the third driveway west of the restaurant (the empty lot with our sign out front).
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I read the negative reviews, but decided it was worth a try. Sanibel has some great food, but there's not much diversity in ethnic cuisine. I was not disappointed here! The tortilla soup was spicy and loaded with corn and tomato. Full of flavor! The ceviche is tasty. Nothing special, just a white fish. The avocado pieces were perfectly ripe. We had the carnitas, camarons, and Mama's tacos. All were delicious! Nothing was greasy. The carnitas had a nice verde sauce. The side of black beans was loaded with garlic. Not a problem for me; I love garlic! Nice variety of craft beers, though I would have like getting a glass for my beer. The margaritas are good. Light on the tequila, but the fresh squeezed limes are refreshing.
While I loved the food, the service was troubling. I cannot blame the one waitress or bus boy; they were very accommodating, professional, and polite. But the place was packed and they were the only servers! So service was slow. I agree with other reviewers about ambiance. The place looks warm and inviting on the outside, but the inside is stark white withe little other color or decoration.
Still, worth going for the food. I felt it was a good value for fresh, quality ingredients prepared very well. Next visit, I'd like to try more of the tapas. With some minor fixes, this place could be amazing!

There are newer reviews for Fresh Taqueria

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Best tacos were: Mama's buttermilk chicken, Camaron - shrimp, the Southern and the Fish Taco. Very fresh. Kids loved the Captain Eli's root beer. The Nacho chips with 3 various salsa's and guacamole were also a great appetizer. The interior need's some care but the food is excellent.
Note: parking lot is 3 driveways down from the restaurant. With some more diner's it would certainly have a better atmosphere.

1  Thank Dany L
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We tried this restaurant but were a little dissapointed when we left.
The food is not very special and the place looks better from the outside than the inside.
People are friendly and the price is OK but that's about it.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We ate here for dinner one night and could not believe that it was so empty. The food was delicious. Everything we tried was uniquely flavored, although I can understand others' reviews when they said that the flavors were often surprising (this didn't bother us at all and we enjoyed the unexpected flavors which all blended well together). We tried the black beans, salsa trio (mango salsa in particular was excellent), fish taco, chicken taco, couscous, and cheese plate. The couscous was the only dish that was really surprising--much heavier on the balsamic than I expected and not at all sweet despite the description (but it was still good). My only complaint is that there is no kids menu which could be tricky given the spicy flavors, although our daughter was happy to eat the black beans, some pieces of the tacos, and the cheese plate. I am pretty sure we will eat here again before we leave Sanibel, as all of the other restaurants seem to offer the same kind of (rather boring) food.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

The tacos were amazing, just like the ones i had in mexico. Salsa, chips, guac and margaritas were excellant. The only thing needing improvement was the interior decor