“Best Chef on Sanibel - but Understaffed”
Review of Normandie

Normandie
Reserve with OpenTable
Normandie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Normandie is a casual family restaurant on property,we server on of the best breakfast on the island from 8 am to 11:30, lunch inside the restaurant or at our pool bar with the most incredible view of the gulf from 11:30 to 3:30 ( 2:30 inside) and dinner from 5:00 pm to 9 pm. the Normandie is the best kept secret on the island !!
Reviewed June 15, 2014

We ate at both Normandie and its poolside conterpart, the Upper Deck. Both had fare that was amazing. The crunchy grouper sandwich at the Upper Deck is the best grouper on all of Sanibel/Captiva. My daughter said the Uper Deck chicken quesadilla and utimate grilled cheese (provolone, mozzarella, tomato, fresh basil, prosciutto) were the best she'd ever had. At the Normandie, my husband had the special (rib steak) that was perfectly cooked. I had grilled grouper with lemon basil caper cream sauce. It was so delicious. My son and I both had the lobster sherry bisque. It was layered with flavors. Wish I had another bowl now. I must add that I felt sorry for the servers because both places were so understaffed. The Upper Deck has one employee who tends bar, takes lunch orders and runs back and forth from the Normandie to pick up lunches. While she is gone, there is no one to tend bar. When we had dinner at the Normandie, there was one poor employee who was host, bartender and waiter for the entire room. While he was waiting tables, there was no one at the bar, and vice versa. The poor guy ran around as quickly as he could to keep up. Our brut came to the table WARM and it took him a while to bring us a decent bucket of ice to chill it. Other than that one glitch, he did a good job for one lone employee. The quality of the food more than made up for it. It is well worth the trip to find the Normandie, located at the West Wind Inn. I have dined in many Sanibel restaurants, and this one has the best chef, hands down. Plus, the prices are not outrageous like in some Sanibel eateries.

1  Thank I'm_Travelin'

Reviewed June 12, 2014

We came here for breakfast, lunch and dinner as we stayed onsite at the West Wind Inn for several days. We never had a bad meal, in fact, we loved coming here, over and over. Breakfast was reasonably priced and super fast (omelettes $8), lunch by the pool was awesome (quesadillas for $7) and dinner was really a treat (grouper west wind for $25 with all the sides). They can get crowded for breakfast and dinner so make a reservation or come early.

3  Thank southmiamijill
Reviewed June 2, 2014

My husband and I love to start our day with a couple of hours of shelling, followed by lunch at the pool bar at West Wind Inn. Most people don't even realize it is open to the public. They have lots of fresh fish options, and not everything is fried. The grouper lite is great, as you can order it blackened or grilled, with a nice salad. They mix up a great Pina Colada, and don't forget the rum floater!

1  Thank CathWrenMoore
Reviewed June 2, 2014

If we go out for breakfast, this is our go to place. Love the Lighthouse omelet, "a beacon of a breakfast." We have dined here many times over the years and the food is always good and the staff friendly!

Reviewed May 11, 2014

This place changed over this year. New lay out, decore menue and staff. It' very noiisey What a disappointment. The staff use to be friendly and great. Now they hardly speak English, don' t ask how things are would you like anything else, etc. They just flop the bill down. It cost $9.50 for 2 eggs toast and bacon. No garnish no potatoe just bland eggs.This use to be good food at reasonable prices that the locals would go. On Mother's Day morning the place was empty. I wonder why was it the unfriendly service or the overpriced small portions. Whatever happens to Joanie, Zema. Mike, and Kerrie?

1  Thank Paul H