“Great Sunsets!”

11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great Sunsets!”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Very convenient and free location to watch the sunset on Pine Island Sound. The sunset was awesome and we will surely return to relax and uncork some wine.

Clear Spring, MD
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Great place to fish, sort of”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I am no expert fisherman. I can amuse my 5 and 9 year old and help them have a lot of fun fishing. Is it a great place to fish? I have no idea. In one of our outings we caught a pig fish and multiple spots, and picked up a huge crab as well. The kids loved it. Other times we caught nothing or one fish. No pressure, no crowds, just drive your car up, pop the trunk, and start fishing. With a family, you really can't beat that.

Visited December 2011
Dunnellon, Florida
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 449 helpful votes
“Not safe for biking but otherwise it is a thing of beauty”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I tried biking on the causeway early this year when I visited in May and stayed at a Ft. Myers Marriott within biking distance. The first bridge looks steeper than it is; if you are in decent shape, you should be able to climb that bridge with no problem. But for me, the problem is that the railing is at your hip, and if you just turn your head, you may sway, go over that railing, and fall to your death in the water. I believe there was already one unfortunate biking tragedy after the causeway renovation. I know they improved the causeway for biking, but I still feel it is dangerous, so much so that I did not want to have to bike over it again. In October I made sure we returned to our old condo on the island so I would not have to bike over that causeway. But the drive over the causeway is glorious; when you go over it for the first time on your trip, you have to get a little emotional. It is beautiful. I don't feel $6 toll is expensive because once you are on the island you do not want to leave - stock up once in Fort Myers for groceries, maybe go to the Edison Estate if you want and come on back and stay. That toll keeps you safe, because it no doubt keeps a lot of crime out. Like I said, you do not want to leave - there is even a Last Chance Turnaround before that last bridge when you're leaving if you change your mind and want to go back to Sanibel.

Plainville, Connecticut
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 107 helpful votes
“A Beautiful Entrance to Sanibel and Captiva Islands”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

The new causeway is amazing. Gorgeous views of Sanibel, surrounding islands and the bays. Small beaches on each side from which you can swim, surf, fish or just relax. Public restrooms are available. Amazing to see dolphins swimming and pelicans, terns, and osprey swooping. Just a gorgeous start to your Sanibel and Captiva vacations. $6 seems OK as we rarely leave the island!

Naples, Florida
95 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“A man made thing of beauty”
Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

The cause way is the only automotive way to access Sanibel and Captive. It's six bucks to cross the causeway, a bit expensive I think. You can pull into one of the parking lots and enjoy views of the beautiful arch of the causeway, the beach and water. The water was a bit rough on this day but the surfers didn't seem to mind.