“shelling”
Review of Blind Pass Beach

Blind Pass Beach
Reviewed July 20, 2013

had seen better shelling a couple of years ago. had better luck @ the beach by the hotel a little bit north of the hotel. look for sandbars and birds feeding

1  Thank IndianaBob

Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

When in Sanibel, I always make one trip to Blind Pass, primarily for shell collecting. Swimming is discouraged because of the fast currents (esp by the bridge) but many people are seen wading in the water, shell hunting or fishing.
Sometimes this waterway has a foul smell BUT to die-hard shell collectors, that's just a minor annoyance!
I've found the largest shells around the bridge area. The beach slopes sharply at the waters edge. One "secret" to finding conchs & lightening whelks is this: take a long handled "butterfly net" or shell scooper (many kids on the beach have them). Wade into the water about knee deep. The slope drops sharply. Lean forward & use the long handled net to scoop shells off the bottom of this waterway. I have found many big shells this way. But be cautious...I've also found more shells with living creatures, than any other area on Sanibel. These are illegal to keep & should be returned to the water. There are still plenty of uninhibited nice shells.
Another tip---Use bug spray. This area has sand, lots of vegetation, and water. The no-see-ums are aggressive! This is the only reason that I limit Blind Pass to one visit! I come back with as many bites as I do shells! Luckily, the bites are gone within a week & I'll have the beautiful shells forever. (I've also found beautiful fossilized shells/rocks, including a very large fossilized coral that looks fantastic in my landscaping at home).
It's also a busy place for wildlife. Lots of various birds at this site, looking for meals. They're enjoyable to watch.
With all the beaches in Sanibel/Captiva, I wouldn't recommend this one to everyone- just the obsessive shell collectors!

2  Thank KyBeagle
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Then get down there and start looking..prepare to socialize with others about their treasures that they have found..my favorite place for shelling.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

In truth, I was a little disappointed here. I'd read about how it was the best place to shell on the island and that there were frequently sand dollars to be found all over.

And it is true, if you want to wade through millions of shells in hundreds of immense piles, you probably can find a lot of good stuff for your collection. But it was a classic needle in the haystack situation and I guess I wasn't up for that on the morning we went.

Since it is a commonly fished area and an outlet to the Gulf, there was an incredibly overwhelming stench of dead fish! This probably also colored my experience there a little too much in the negative.

That said, it was a very pretty beach to walk, we got some very good photos. And were even treated to a nature show. 2 Pelicans put on a clinic about how they fish, and it was up close and quite personal. We were able to stand no more than 10-15 feet away as 2 of them continually fished by propelling themselves up a few feet in the air and then plunging back into the water to nab their next entree item swimming below. This went on for a good 25 minutes. I was able to capture several exciting hunting photos along the way.

In all, the place was still enjoyable but I'd come in with one set of expectations that just weren't met. I came out still having enjoyed my time there, minus the smell of course!

1  Thank HoustonToby
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The beach is beautiful with its white soft sand and there were layers of shells for miles. We rode our bikes since that is the easiest way to get around and park. You just lock your bike to the bike rack and head to the beach. The water was perfect- 85 degrees and light waves. As with any beach, watch for sand flies and jelly fish. This beach is great for shelling. We gathered several bags worth of many varieties. The best time is low tide.