Castaways Cottages of Sanibel
Casa Ybel Resort(Sanibel Island)
$319
Official Site
West Wind Inn(Sanibel Island)
$225
$191
Seaside Inn(Sanibel Island)(Great Value!)
$229
Seaside Inn
Anchor Inn & Cottages(Sanibel Island)(Great Value!)
$153
$138
Hotels.com
$239
$178
Travelocity
Beachview Cottages(Sanibel Island)(Great Value!)
$210
Song of the Sea(Sanibel Island)
$309
Travelocity
Sunshine Island Inn(Sanibel Island)(Great Value!)
$129
$109
Seahorse Cottages(Sanibel Island)
No availability for your dates from our partners
Parrot Nest(Sanibel Island)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsgeneral storethe cottagesmarina sidemarina storelazy flamingosunset grilltween watersmad hatterrestaurants within walking distanceold floridablind passsmall storescreened porchbeach cottagequeen bedlaid backthe kitchen
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 8, 2008

Been going to Sanibel Captiva since I was around 6 years old with my parents and I still go back to this day with my kids and family now. I have stayed at many different motels cottages and homes on the islands kona kai was a nice one but castaways location just takes the cake I had cottage number 2, don't expect 5 star ritz carlton because its far from that expect a quait beach cottage with all the ammenities you could ask for. A lil slow on towel pick up but no big deal people that complain about the lil things like this need a multiy week vacation anyway. The beach yard with tiki torches picnic tables sand tiki huts and bbq's just made it perfect and the location on the beach has a huge sand bar that at low tide allows you to walk out 100's of yards and find tons of shells. Were in are early 30's had a 12 year old and a 1 year old and an 8 month old Loved it and if you want fancier they let you use the ammenities at Tween Waters inn just up the street. Sooooo relaxing! We will be back! Rent Beach side units too much to lug stuff across highway...

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank asher2007
Reviewed May 27, 2008

Three nights-May 16, 17, 18 Room 24

We have been to Castaways in the past and loved it. This time it was the pits. The most annoying part for us is the fact that problems seem to be fixed based on customer complaints rather than keeping up the property.

Minutes after stepping into the room, I pulled back the left side curtain on the sliding door. The left side of the curtain rod came down and the knob on the end hit me on my forehead. I actually had a dent in my forehead for days and it hurt. When I went to the office later and told the manager what happen, his only words were "Do you want me to send someone to put up the rod" No comment on my injury. My husband had tools and fixed the rod.

I have seen better sofas at Salvation Army, and it was a two seater. And climbing on a chair to adjust the air conditioner behind the big TV cabinet was weird.

The other thing we didn't complain about till the day we left. Whenever we turned on the water, it splashed everywhere and on our clothes and feet. It was like a mist. We didn't want anyone doing their repairs on our time.

We kept commenting how last summer we had stayed across the street from Waikiki Beach with a spectacular view for less money than this dippy room with a view of the fence.

The beach is beautiful and the shells ok. The water was too choppy for swimming the whole time. We love all the nooks and scrannies of Sanibel, so we had a great time.

And the prices at the Cafe next to the General Store were too high.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank CJMiller
Reviewed May 18, 2008

My wife and I stayed in unit #8 recently. It faces the beach and shares the same grounds area as Units #9 and #11. The front desk staff at Castaways are not friendly and need to take a course in hospitality 101. However, the support crews are much nicer! The unit itself is old and in need of a major rehab. The kitchen's pot and pans were dirty and needed cleaning. The bed was at least 15 years old and not comfortable. The bathroom toilet did not flush and it took well over 8 hours to get it fixed. The shower's water pressure was almost non-existent. The faucet water had a salty taste and I would recommend drinking bottled water only. The unit was well overpriced as was mentioned in other posts on here.

The beautiful beach made our stay worth the other unit distractions. It's really beautiful and not as crowded as the other Sanibel beaches.

• Stayed: May 2008
2  Thank beachbumintn
Reviewed April 24, 2008

We rented unit # 5 which looked directly onto the beach, and it was worth it. The 2 bedroom cottage was very clean and came with all the pots, pans, full size refrig., and french doors opening up to the screened in porch. Units #5 and #6 are elevated, so you can see the ocean from the back porch. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. There is a general store and restaurant directly across the road ( a 2-minute walk). The shelling was average, and our daughter was a little disappointed having not found any sand dollars, but overall I reccomend Castaways and will definately come back. (I also reccomend Doc Ford's restaurant. The food was VERY good, reasonable, and very family oriented)

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank robacker
Reviewed April 15, 2008

My family stayed at Castaways for three nights in April. It was $255 a night plus $20 a night for our yellow lab. I was a disappointed in our cottage. It was #27 and overlooked a small lagoon area. It is actually pictured in the brochure, and pictures can be deceiving. In the brochure, it appeared the beach was in front of our cottage and this smaller lagoon area behind us. Actually the beach is across a fairly busy road that runs through Sannibel to Captiva. I was not comfortable letting my 10 and 11 year old boys go to the beach without an adult to help them get across. The lagoon area is very shallow. We considered bringing our boat and it is a good thing we didn't because it would have gotten stuck. We were told it is a max of three feet deep when the tide is in. Our cottage had tiled floors, which is good because there is sand everywhere. The unit has one very loud air conditioner. I didn't think it was very clean. We arrived early for check in and actually waited outside for our unit to be cleaned. Housekeeping worked on it for no more that five minutes. When we entered there was long black hairs on the wet tile that had just been mopped. We had a problem with ants. There was bug spray under the sink, but dealing with ants was not something I wanted to do for almost $300 a night. Our cottage had a little screened porch with a broken screen and rickety old door that needed to be replaced. It was rundown and dated with dark wood pannelled walls inside the cottage. We were given one bar of soap for both the bathroom sink and shower, so I had to ask for more. There is no maid service, so if you want clean towels you have to put your used ones outside your door and then housekeeping will replace what you have used. We put 4 towels out and got back one towel and 10 washclothes one day. In the morning the no-see-ums are unbelievable. I came home with over 100 bites and I am assuming it was the no-see-ums and not bedbugs! Bring bug spray! We brought our dog and were told she would be given a treat upon arrival, but she never got anything. No big deal, but don't say you give each dog a treat and then not do it.

On the positive, the beach across the street is very pretty and my boys and husband loved fishing off the "docks", although they didn't catch much. We did see an otter back there, which was neat.

Castaways is also 7 or more miles from the more populated part of Sannibel. We brought our bikes, but there was no where to bike to because it was just too far from anything. There is a small market and three restaurants within walking distance, but that is it. It is very quiet.

I would not go back. I was very glad to get home and am sad that we spent over $900 for that cottage.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family