We stayed at Castaways during spring break and had a wonderful time. We rented unit 34 which has a small dock right outside the back porch. You could see the marina from this site which was great for the fisherman in our family. There are many reviews about the resort being old and I agree that it is but it was a perfect place for a family vacation. Our cottage was completely equipped with dishes, silverware, pot and pans so we could cook the fish that we caught. We shipped down dry goods as the grocery stores are limited and expensive. The front desk staff were more than willing to accept our package and hold it until we arrived at the site. The pool is heated and was never very crowded and pool towels are provided. The beach is directly across the street, so it was convenient to shelling any time of the day. There is a path that runs along side the resort which we used for running and biking every day. We did not rent a car while we were there as Castaways is conveniently located on the island and we were able to ride our bikes to Bowman Beach and the general store and anywhere else we wanted to go. The staff was great, we arrived a couple hours before check in and even though our cottage was not ready, they allowed us to put our luggage on the back porch of our unit and use the resort while we waited for housekeeping.
Castaways has a paddleboarding outfitter, YOLO, right on site which was great as my family and I did the ecotour with them one day. They also rent kayaks and canoes. You can book a fishing trip with Captain Joey right at the Marina. We caught red drum and trout and had them for dinner. There is also fishing under the bridge which isj just a short walk from the cottage.
My family and I will definitely visit Castaway's again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Waterview cottages, efficiencies, or motel units are surrounded by the Gulf of Mexico and beautiful Sunset Bay. Discover miles of sandy beaches, shelling, fishing, swimming, or just relaxing Island style. The Castaways is a touch of paradise you're sure to remember. World-class shelling and bird-watching. Great fishing from our private docks or in the Gulf of Mexico.Marina with canoe,kayak and bicycle rentals, charter captains, bait and other sundry items.Three restaurants and general store within walking distance. Heated swimming pool. Pet-friendly units available for guests who want their 4-footed friends to enjoy a true family vacation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, Priceline and Hotels.com so you can book your Castaways Cottages of Sanibel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castaways Beach And Bay Cottages Hotel Sanibel Island
- Castaways Beach And Bay Hotel
- Castaways Beach And Bay Resort