We selected Castaways for our mother-daughter senior spring break trip as it was able to accommodate our group of 6 during our short window of travel days. We booked the cottages a tad late so we were also willing to move from a bay side cottage to a beach cottage based on availability. We also researched with the chamber of commerce that called it a "quaint property". The pictures offered on their website were in not representative as the cottages in general were dingy, dirty, ill equipped, and unmaintained. The management was not the least bit concerned that we had to keep visiting them for forks, knives, spoons, dishes, sheets, blankets, etc., but they were very concerned with getting payment in full for our 4 nights which was in excess of $1500 as soon as we checked in. Not only was the main office closed at 8 pm the first night of our arrival, they left a series of sticky notes to incoming guests on the window. One day I informed them that I slept on the pull out sofa without sheets, even though we had moved into the new cottage that day and were told it was "ready"...the manager mildly apologized, went out to find the "sheet lady" but sadly she never arrived at the cottage. In fact, I had to flag her down myself later when I saw her driving by. It is our groups opinion that as management was clearly aware that 6 people were staying on the facilities should be prepared for 6 people, meaning at least 6 dishes, utensils, glasses, sheets, pillows, blankets, etc. Guests should not have to scrounge around searching for basic materials, especially given the prices per night. Lastly, the facility is general is unmaintained and unclean. Interior of cottages lacked operating smoke alarms and were outfitted with low quality materials and fixtures. I would not ever return or recommend this property to family or friends.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Waterview cottages, efficiencies, or motel units are surrounded by the Gulf of Mexico and beautiful Sunset Bay. Discover miles of sandy beaches, shelling, fishing, swimming, or just relaxing Island style. The Castaways is a touch of paradise you're sure to remember. World-class shelling and bird-watching. Great fishing from our private docks or in the Gulf of Mexico.Marina with canoe,kayak and bicycle rentals, charter captains, bait and other sundry items.Three restaurants and general store within walking distance. Heated swimming pool. Pet-friendly units available for guests who want their 4-footed friends to enjoy a true family vacation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Castaways Cottages of Sanibel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castaways Beach And Bay Cottages Hotel Sanibel Island
- Castaways Beach And Bay Hotel
- Castaways Beach And Bay Resort