“Ok, but not the best”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Sorrento, Florida
“Ok, but not the best”
Reviewed August 28, 2011

We stayed in cottage 11 and it was ok, but needs an overhaul. The best thing was that it is right on the beach and not that many people on the beach. Nice and relaxing. Picture of the cottage does not look like the one on there website.. Ants in cottage and the bathroom in need of repair. Pool in the sister one Tween waters inn is huge, but was nosiy and too many kids there for me. So we went back to the beach much better. But nothing special about this one. Maid comes every 4 days and that was ok with me as I don't like them coming everyday. You can get new towels everyday if you need them. Has screened in porch that faces the ocean.

2 Thank Dg1313

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Spring City, Tennessee
Reviewed August 24, 2011

I have stayed at the Castaways many times. I have had many unfortunate experiences from refrigerators not working, circuit breakers tripping and having to wait on the maintenance man to come from Ft. Meyers to fix it, Palmetto Bug (a/k/a HUGE ROACH) falling on me from a vent above my head while sitting on the toilet, cigarette burns in blankets, insufficient a/c, electrical outlets not working...and these are just the things I can remember.

So you are wondering why I keep going back? Location, Location, Location. It is located at Turner Beach and Blind Pass which is where I prefer to be for shelling and fishing and convenience of not having to pay to park, there is a marina there and they accept dogs.

There are no phones in the units so be sure you have a cel phone. Internet is now available and there is an internet cafe' located behind the marina.

I don't like that they charge $20 per extra person/pet per night. It may be in line with others but I don't agree with the policy overall. A flat fee to clean is all there should be.

The English woman managing the counter was not all that friendly but the maintenance people and the housekeeper were very sociable.

I feel The Castaways is overpriced for what amenities it offers, the lack of creature comforts such as a snack bar, pool towels that are soft instead feel like sand paper, lack of good insulation, lack of paddle fans in all rooms, no outdoor light, or water source to wash off feet before coming into room, etc., at least on our unit. We paid $1,700 for a week. I know they offer package deals and specials but they did not offer us any discount.

But they are trying to refurbish the units and I must say it was much more inviting, the king sized bed was very comfortable, and maintenance were readily available to fix problems.

I brought a fan with me which I was glad I did as the bedroom did not have one.

The two bedroom unit that could accommodate up to six people was two small in the living area to be comfortable with more than three.

Ask lots of questions, and consider if you really want to pay that kind of money for lack of the nicer quality things and more amenities that other places offer.

The fishing was lousy and the bay only offers mullet and catfish.

Next time I'll probably choose a condo with all of the creature comforts that I deserve.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished unit.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed August 20, 2011

I would highly recommend Castaways to anyone looking for a relaxing vacation. We have stayed on several occasions and really consider it heaven on earth. Everyone knows that the shelling is outstanding. I feel the rates are well in line for the location to the beach. Sitting on the screen porches, reading a book, sipping a glass of wine while the warm ocean breeze blows is a good as it gets. If you are looking for a full service hotel, this is not it, nor does it pretend to be. They are cottages. Clean and comfortable. The staff is always courteous and pleasant. Staying at the Castaways is a wonderful way to pretend that you have your own home on the beach even if only for a while.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Karen C
Uckfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2011

The cottages are clean, the staff are friendly and helpfull, it is in a fabulous location and the shelling is out of this World. We found our paradise!

1 Thank Mary G
Lake Worth, Florida
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Where do I start? Well first the staff greeting you are very rude and that is putting it politely. We stayed in cottage 11 with our 2 children. My parents stayed in cottage 8 right next to ours with my niece and their small dog. The location was great for shelling and fishing. Our cottage was EXTREMELY RUN DOWN!!! There were stains on the pull out sofa, dirty stained tile floors, bathroom shower would collect water under it and you would actually be floating on top of the shower floor and could feel the water underneath. Both our cottage and my parents cottage was infested with cockaroaches! We also found "bugs" in our bed crawling on our pillow cases. The sheets were dirty and did not look clean. The extra blankets they provided were covered in dog hair! We stayed 7 days and for the amount of money we spent our cottages should have been better maintained. We will not be coming back to the Castaways again.

Room Tip: Very dirty bring your own cleaning supplies!
8 Thank shellqueen2917
CastawaysBob, Manager at Castaways Cottages of Sanibel, responded to this review, August 10, 2011
We appreciate any comments made from guests staying at our resort and endeavour to make their stay as enjoyable and relaxing as possible. However, in response to the recent comments made by shellqueen2917 on August 6, 2011, we feel these are not fair or accurate. These guests stayed for 7 nights in two of our most popular beachfront cottages and did not report any problems during this time. The guests in one of the units declined housekeeping during their stay due to them having a dog - but did leave the housekeeper a tip on departure. On check-out they reported seeing cockroaches in their units. We immediately contacted 'Truly Nolen' our pest control company who visit and treat our resort on a monthly basis. They inspected one of the units (the other unit was occupied) and did not report any evidence of cockroaches or other bugs. We appreciate that our resort is not for everyone. Our old-style florida cottages date back to the 1950's - we do not claim to be a five star hotel. Over the years we have updated the inside of our cottages and we work hard to keep them maintained on a regular basis. We are a small resort rather than a large hotel. Our front desk staff have all been trained through our county "Guest First" program and know the value of giving our guests a warm welcome. I would suggest that anyone reading this reply go to our web site and check out the pictures of the cottages in question. The photos were taken 4 months ago and reflect our decor. The couches were purchased in March of this year as were the dining room furniture.
How can this be "run down". The floors in these units are ceramic tiled as they are Pet units and are thoroughly cleaned at every check-out. The guests had their own pet, a small dog that left pet hair in the room to be cleaned, this is to be expected and our pet cottages are extra cleaned to remove all pet hair.
This guest also badly reviewed one of Captiva's historic and famous restaurants that people come from all over the world to visit. We have never heard of a complaint about this restaurant in all the years that I have managed the Castaways.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions but when they are grossly unfair I felt this reply was very necessary.

Manager of Castaways
SW Florida
Reviewed August 6, 2011

They were up front about our cottage being small, but it turned out to be more like a closet, stuffy, hot and the bed was ultra cheap with very old bedspread. We ended up leaving in the middle of the night and returned this morning to remove our things I had always thought it looked like a cute beach resort from the road. Others near us had the same complaint. How can there be such disparity in reviews. I'll post pictures. Furniture looked to have been picked from the rubble of Hurricane Charley in 2004.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed July 7, 2011

I have never wrote in here before, but since they have had there new renovations I am so pleased to take a minute to share my thoughts on this vacation.
The cottages are great, clean and have all the basic things you need to get you vacation started the right way.
They now have an internet cafe and serve Kerrig Coffee, Wifii connections in our rooms. They have painted many of the cottages which has made them, feel fresh and new and due to the colors it feels very tropical...

The office staff are always kind and come to the rescue with anything that I need, This nice man with a British accent came to our room because MY computer was having issues connecting to the internet and some how he managed to fix my issue.
It is pet friendly, so for those of you who have dogs as I do, the cottages are like sweet little aparments. I even saw a lady with a cat on a lease at the beach.

The sunsets are beautiful from the beach side of castaways. The shelling well lets just say is AMAZING at this point on the island.
This is a perfect vacation for family's who enjoy spending quality time together, swimming, beach fun, shelling, kayacking, bike riding, fishing, realxing,
If you are looking for lots of buzz and lots people try another one of their resorts. This is ,the place of relaxation, tranquilty and great service.
We have been going here for 5 years now and it keep getting better.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
#5 of 19 in Sanibel Island
Waterside Inn on the Beach
Waterside Inn on the Beach
#6 of 19 in Sanibel Island

Been to Castaways Cottages of Sanibel? Share your experiences!