“5 years running, I keep coming back for more.”

Castaways Cottages of Sanibel
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Sanibel Island
GreenLeadersSilver level
New Jersey
“5 years running, I keep coming back for more.”
Reviewed July 7, 2011

I have never wrote in here before, but since they have had there new renovations I am so pleased to take a minute to share my thoughts on this vacation.
The cottages are great, clean and have all the basic things you need to get you vacation started the right way.
They now have an internet cafe and serve Kerrig Coffee, Wifii connections in our rooms. They have painted many of the cottages which has made them, feel fresh and new and due to the colors it feels very tropical...

The office staff are always kind and come to the rescue with anything that I need, This nice man with a British accent came to our room because MY computer was having issues connecting to the internet and some how he managed to fix my issue.
It is pet friendly, so for those of you who have dogs as I do, the cottages are like sweet little aparments. I even saw a lady with a cat on a lease at the beach.

The sunsets are beautiful from the beach side of castaways. The shelling well lets just say is AMAZING at this point on the island.
This is a perfect vacation for family's who enjoy spending quality time together, swimming, beach fun, shelling, kayacking, bike riding, fishing, realxing,
If you are looking for lots of buzz and lots people try another one of their resorts. This is ,the place of relaxation, tranquilty and great service.
We have been going here for 5 years now and it keep getting better.

4 Thank shoshie321

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Miami
Reviewed July 7, 2011

This is a family-run business and they attend one with much attention and courtesy. I rented a room across the pool and my daughter and her family rented a cottage on the beach. The facilities were extremely clean and very functional. I loved the salt-water pool and the beach was fabulous. We attended a FREE 4th of July Picnic that had hamburgers and hotdogs with the best baked beans I have ever tasted. The beans had pulled pork and sausage in it. It was a meal in itself. The staff made us feel welcome and cared for. I will definitely go back. My daughter and her husband have been going there since they were engaged and have two girls now. His brother just got engaged there so we will be coming here for many years to come.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Indialantic, Florida
Reviewed June 29, 2011

I begin coming to Castaways 7 years ago and it's charm has keep me captive. Most cottages have a screened in porches, outdoor grills and kitchens. Staff is always friendly and accommodating. It is run like a vacation home. Unlike a hotel they do not come in daily to fluff the suites. This appeals to me because like my privacy. Fresh towels are available daily You just set your dirty towels in a bag on the porch and when you return from kayaking, biking, boating (rentals available here) or shelling clean towels are waiting.

Castaways is steps away from the gulf and a great spot to collect shells. You can offend spot dolphin just off shore. Great Blue Herons and egrets hang around hoping to pick off spoils from the anglers.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cayocosta
Loxahatchee, FL
Reviewed June 28, 2011

My husbands family has been going here for over 10 years as a family vacation. I joined them the last couple of years. Its a nice place-average pricing. There are beach front cottages or bayside. Boat dock/slips available/fishing/biking/canoeing/sight-seeing/state parks. Lazy Flamingo is next store with great food-its a hole in the wall restaurant. General Store less then a minute walk away. Be careful when renting some cottages as some are run-down and some are renovated. The pool is small and luke warm, it stayed around 90 degrees water temp the whole time-Not refreshing! The mosquito's and NO-SEEUM'S ARE DREAD-FULLY BAD AT NIGHT AND FIRST THING IN THE MORNING SO MAKE SURE YOU BRING A TON OF BUG REPELLANT & SUNSCREEN BC ITS HOTTER THEN HECK!!! That's all-have a great time! :)

3 Thank anghalstead
Bayonet Point, Florida
Reviewed June 23, 2011

If your goal is to relax on the beach, fish from a canoe, enjoy star filled nights or just sit by the pool, then the Castaways on Sanibel will suit your needs. My family and I just spent 5 days at the Castaways cabin #4 on the beach and had the Best time in recent memory. Special thanks to all of the staff there, as they were very accomodating and provided excellent customer service. We will definitely be going back next year!

3 Thank PhishinPhillyBill
clermont, fl
Reviewed June 21, 2011

I stayed with my Dad, Stepmom, and Brother for a couple of nights last month. We rented unit #40 by the bay and found it spacious, clean, and convenient. This is one of the best locations on the islands. You are really closer to Captiva and its attractions than Sanibel. They give you a pass to park at Tween Waters which has the best beach in the area not to mention the pool bar which is the best on the gulf coast. I could go on and on but know that you won't find a much better value in the area and the location is A+.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank GONOLES1
Naples, Florida
Reviewed June 8, 2011

We have had the pleasure to stay at this lovely little gem five times prior to this trip. Upon arrival to ourn temporary home my hear starts to race. It should be slowing as the blue water and white sand become into view. I can not help it as we pull into our space in front of unit #25 (our third stay in this unit, # 23, 27 and 29 are also lovely) I realize we are early. Upon check-in we are offered a special dog tag for our Black Lab, a dog treat and our keys! They were lovely and welcoming! Our bright cherry little cottage is perfect. My husband quickly unloaded fishing gear onto our screened in porch, where we play games with a cool glass of wine before making our decision which of the close restaurants we will dine at...The Old Captiva House for a romantic excellent dinner and sunset with the Crow Bar live music next door is always our first choice. As usual I have to turn the A/C up because we live in Florida and 78* is Cold to us! But the Air is there if you need it! After a nice warm shower that seems to never go cold, were off to cross the street to the beautiful sandy beach and some shelling, swimming and fishing. We have been coming here year after year and with all of the choices in Florida close by, we will continue to come back year after year. This year two times! Truly paradise.

Room Tip: Unit #25 is great