The website and the location is what drew me to stay at The Castaways. But would I stay here again? NO.
Directly behind Blind Pass for great shelling!
At a marina if you boat
Great location if you want to visit Captiva Islands and place to eat there.
Cons: Where to start...
Little to no parking, the last 3 days we were there a man parked his large dodge truck directly in front of my unit!
Pet friendly, but they did not supply pick up bags, and no one seemed to pick up after their pets.
Staff was blah at check in. I just gave you $1,000 bucks, you could at least smile...
On the first night of the trip I returned to my unit from shelling to take my lil' dachshund puppy out to potty, BUT I could not get the door open!!! The keys would not work! I ran to the office to let them know it would not open. The lady was nice enough and got the other keys to come see if she could get it open. Unit 25, like most other have two doors. She told us about the front door..."Well you dead bolted it, they'll be no getting in there." Apparently it has a dead bolt, but no key and you are not supposed to lock it... no one told us that?!?! The side door on the patio... apparently they've had some key issues and don't know which ones work and which don't, we were given a set they DID NOT WORK... what would I have done if it was after office hours?!?! They seemed just blah about the issue.
The only staff we saw during the week were a few guys who took all week spreading out new mulch, when there was trash all over the place though... I could think of more important things besides mulch... weeding, trash pick up, poop patrol, cut the grass... the bushes and yard areas in general just looked like no one had paid them any attention in months.
Holes in our screened in porch...
Air unit almost falling out of wall...
Large stain in middle of couch...
TV did not even fit on the stand, you couldn't let children play near it.
Patio table wasting away, chair straps broke.
Something ate a hole through our bread one night on counter!!
The bathroom ... O M G... keep in mind we were in unit 25, while a couple we met on the beach said their bed linens were GROSS, she'd rather sleep on floor but her bathroom wasn't bad... but ours WOW... the toilet rocked back and forth, the cabinet at floor and behind was rotting and not clean, no room to shut door move around etc. window in shower and bars rusting...EWW EWW EWW
Front door had a large gap between door and floor to let all sorts of creatures inside.
Grout in between tiles were brown...
The Castaways is good for a shelling location and a great idea, BUT the place is not well maintained... the lysol smell over load when you open the door for the first time does not mask the falling apart, this place at least our unit and the grounds are well past there prime. Not sure what unit other travelers stayed in or what they consider OK for paying 200.00 bucks a night for, but this unit and the grounds were not it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Waterview cottages, efficiencies, or motel units are surrounded by the Gulf of Mexico and beautiful Sunset Bay. Discover miles of sandy beaches, shelling, fishing, swimming, or just relaxing Island style. The Castaways is a touch of paradise you're sure to remember. World-class shelling and bird-watching. Great fishing from our private docks or in the Gulf of Mexico.Marina with canoe,kayak and bicycle rentals, charter captains, bait and other sundry items.Three restaurants and general store within walking distance. Heated swimming pool. Pet-friendly units available for guests who want their 4-footed friends to enjoy a true family vacation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Castaways Cottages of Sanibel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castaways Beach And Bay Cottages Hotel Sanibel Island
- Castaways Beach And Bay Hotel
- Castaways Beach And Bay Resort