“Tiki motel completes the Sanibel experience!”
Review of Kona Kai Motel

Kona Kai Motel
Reviewed June 4, 2013

This was the 2nd stay at the Kona Kai & it does not fail to please! Kona Kai is the best way to complete the tropical vacation and changes your fantasy into reality! The flora is authentic, actually, the biggest & most fragrant spider flowers I've ever seen- even in Hawaii! Geckos everywhere, sea shells, pagan tiki gods, attractive porch, kitchenette, what more can you ask for? The staff is incredibly helpful and they remembered me from last year, too. If you go to Sanibel, spend the night in Kona Kai and get an extra day in at the beach, which has the best beach combing on the Mainland! Mahalo, Brenda from Kona Kai!

Room Tip: Make sure to bring some groceries for your picnic lunch and/or breakfast- Motel has nice kitchenette...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nancy L
There are newer reviews for Kona Kai Motel

Reviewed May 27, 2013

If you are headed to Sanibel you need to stay at Kona Kai! Brenda and Lenny, along with all the staff, help you feel right at home and make sure you are enjoying your stay to the fulliest! All the rooms are wonderful and the property has beautifully kept landscape, even has a baby pineapple and plenty of seashells on display. I stayed for my best friend's wedding and we were all able to stay at Kona Kai together. The outdoor commons area is perfect for meeting new people or enjoying a meal with your family in paradise. The pool is great for relaxing during the day. Kona Kai has a great location, there are a couple shops near by, restuarants in walking distance, and a convience store next door. I can't wait to get back to Sanibel and visit Brenda and Lenny again at the Kona Kai while I enjoy another stay in PARADISE.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Hannah M
Reviewed May 20, 2013

This property is breathtaking . Having been to Kona on Hawaii's Big Island , I can attest to the authenticity of the landscaping. This indeed looks like Kona and like Kona, feels like Paradise. The efficiency units are so worth it and their location on Periwinkle Drive puts you in the heart of the shopping area ( such as it is) and ALL the great restaurants. Okay, so you are not on the beach but it is a mere 10 minutes away on foot. The pool on the property is huge which is nice when taking a break from beach heat. There are an abundance of barbeque grills , tables, and outdoor gathering areas on the property and we were "greeted" by chameleons every morning just outside our unit's door. We were also struck by how QUIET it was . We slept the best we have in MANY months and every single night! What makes this property even more inviting are the married couple ( Brenda and Lenny) who manage it and also live on the property so they are always accessible . We had a problem with our unit one night and coyly approached them about it believing we were responsible for the "issue. " Brenda IMMEDIATELY moved us to another unit , an upgrade at no additional charge, no questions asked. This is hospitality you seldom find with hotel chains. Apparently, they have many guests who sadly, only stay one night not realizing what they are missing out on. Take full advantage of what the island has to offer and stay here for SEVERAL nights!

Room Tip: Pay a little more and select a unit that has a separate living area.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 2011lovinitsteph
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Excellent, amazing, words which barely describe my comfortable stay there for an extended period. We stayed in one of the suites with two queen size beds and a kitchenette. It was nice and quiet in the room at night. Brenda and her fella were absolutely fantastic, helping guests with all matters and making the place shine 200%. Our visit was for a funeral and to settle things. Long stressful, emotional days followed by relaxing evenings in a quaint, quirky, little place made alive by Brenda and her husband (who is a master gardener). I plan to repeat my stay if they are still running the place so magnificently.

Room Tip: Get a suite and bring a bike.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank C K
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Not only is Sanibel an amazing place to visit, but the Kona Kai is an amazing way to experience it. I arrived in late April for a friends wedding. We all stayed at the Kona Kai. They are somehow able to create an atmosphere that is open and intimate at the same time. The common areas are very inviting and serve to promote meeting people on vacation, which is one of the best parts! The pool is fun and has fun pool accessories available. The staff, especially Brenda and Lenny (the couple that runs the show), are extremely personable and truly make you feel a part of some sort of family. They have a great location as well, as a convience store is next door and the beach is a couple blocks away (an easy walk). I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and, should I find myself heading to Sanibel again, will absolutely be enjoying the Kona Kai again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ALintel
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I stayed at Kona Kai at the end of April for a week. Let me say, the grounds and landscaping are exceptional. The plants are so lush and full. The pond, twinkling lights, and the pool were everything I hoped for and more. The location of Kona Kai is right next to a 7/11, within walking distance to a grocery store as well as many restaurants. We really appreciated the grills so we could grill out for lunch and dinner, saving us a lot of money on food.
Kona Kai is an easy 5-10 minute bike ride to the beach. There is a bike rental store half a block from Kona Kai. We spent almost all of our time at the pool though, the beach is nice for sight seeing, but the pool is wonderful for a calm, relaxing afternoon.
The management, Brenda and Lenny are ALWAYS available for anything you may need, and extremely friendly. I will be visiting Kona Kai again, knowing that Brenda and Lenny will accommodate us.
Our room was the cleanest hotel room we have ever stayed in. The bathroom was sparkling clean, and the sheets were fresh. Our kitchenette was the perfect size for the week. The television had cable which was nice for early morning news.
All in all, I will be booking another trip to Sanibel Island within the next year. It really is a perfect piece of paradise!

Room Tip: Room 5 had one queen bed, a full bathroom, and a kitchenette. Perfect size for a couple.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ashtyn B
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Kona Kai is more than just a place to relax and unwind, I visited this April with my wife and some of our closest friends and we enjoyed all that there was to offer. Very great location for great food and access to great beaches. Easy to come and go as you please with an amazing layout that captures private romance as well as an inviting social atmosphere. The many grilling areas and the great in room accommodations made it easy for us to prepare our own home cooked food. The staff was great as well and made us feel at home and we never wanted to leave. I highly recommend you visit Sanibel, Fl and when you do stay at the Kona Kai!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple