“"Great Stay!"” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 19 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Columbia City, Indiana
“"Great Stay!"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

My wife and i were looking for a nice quiet place for our anniversary and we found it at the Kona Kai.Beautiful setting,clean rooms,great pool,so much to see and do nearby.You will not find a friendlier and more helpful staff.Would recommend to anyone looking for quiet friendly place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Andrew h

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

Right on main street very noisy with road traffic poorly kept an old air conditioner was dumped next to the pool. My opinion is that this place is an overplaced tourist trap. Not a relaxing place on the beach.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank John W
Brenda C, Manager at Kona Kai Motel, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Aloha from Sanibel,
I am so sorry that you seem not to have had the wonderful experience we wish for all our guests. Through the lack of pronuciation and jejune adjective in your title I waded, looking for the explanation of why you never contacted management about any of your concerns.
With all the beauty that the Kona Kai has to offer in meditation gardens, pond, gazebo lit with fairy lights, sparkling pool and majestic Sanibel River it's such a shame that the only photo you posted was of the garbage pile behind the pool waiting for next morning pick up.
The Kona Kai is located in the heart of the island, close to all the shops and restaurants and less than a mile to the beach. No where do we advertise that we are beachfront. I am praying you find exactly what you are looking for directly on the beach for the $100.00 a night you paid here.
Thank you for expressing your opinion as we always like to hear from guests. Mahalo
Fort Pierce, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

I discovered the Kona Kai through the Ding Darling national Wildlife Refuge website, as I was coming to spend a few days there. I wanted a nice, quiet place, not a big modern resort, and I found a gem! Brenda and Lenny are fabulous, and did everything they could to make my stay wonderful. They actually went out of their way- I had arrived in St. Petersburg on Thurs. night, with plans to stay there Thurs, and drive down Friday- check in time 2 PM. Had a miserable arrival in St. Pete- stood in line for an hour and a half waiting for the rental car (at midnight)- the airport hotel messed up my reservations, and put me in a room full of mold, so couldn't sleep, and decided to drive to Sanibel at about 5 AM, arriving at 9 AM. I stopped by the motel to see if I could just drop my stuff off, and go out to the refuge or something until check-in, but they went ahead and got me checked in early, in a lovely little room by the pool. (great, relaxing pool!) the grounds are great- they are redesigning everything, and it is in the style of tropical gardens. there is even a short walk back to the end of the property on the Sanibel river, with chairs for hanging out,where I got some great Osprey photos. The rooms and suites are arranged around wooden walkways and tropical gardens, with porches, covered seating, a central grill for guest use, etc. It is definitely an old-style "housekeeping" motel- this is not the Hilton (thank heavens!) Just a nice, comfortable old-style family vacation spot. If you are looking for a nice,quiet, "Old Florida style" friendly spot, close to everything on Sanibel, with both privacy and friendly help, this is the place! I hope to visit here again on my next trip the gulf side of Florida!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
9 Thank sauceybrat
Kentucky, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

Decided at last minute to stay overnite, watched a beautiful sunset, but desperately wanted a shower! Aloha room for 3 was a good size , really nice bath room, tiled shower stall, lots of light, deck with chairs, pool was closed, but it was clean, the cottage garden walkway is so cozy,,,,, great value,

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank Business_Traveler170
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

It's a yearly treat that the Stechert family enjoys by going to Sanibel Island for a little family va-ca! We have been staying at the Kona Kai for the last several years. All we can say is this,"Stay at the Koni Kai...you won't regret it!"

Brenda & Lenny (On-site Managers) are the very best people in the world! Very accommodating...and very attentive to your needs!

Thanks for Everything!!

The Stechert's

Room Tip: Get the room by the Pool!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Greg S
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

I needed to get away earlier this month for some R&R and this place was just what the "doctor" ordered! Affordable, beautiful and the management is very nice, hospitable and accomodating. I will recommend this motel to everyone that asks!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Greg I
Sebring, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary last month and wanted to check out Sanibel Island. We found this resort online and read reviews and took our chance. The place is deceiving from the outside like a sanctuary when you enter the courtyard and pool. We enjoyed our mini vacation exploring the island. Brenda and Lenny were wonderful and very helpful to recommend places to eat and do activities in the island. The location is convenient and walking distance from the beach, shopping and restaurants. Definitely recommend to our friends and family and couples who wants privacy.

Room Tip: They have family rooms and couple rooms that are private at the back.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Sanibel Inn
Sanibel Inn
#9 of 19 in Sanibel Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,212 reviews

Been to Kona Kai Motel? Share your experiences!