“WARNING!!! Royal Shell Vacations **DO NOT** accept CREDIT CARD!!”

Shorewood Condominiums
Reviewed February 3, 2014

First of all, I'm writing prior to even staying at "The Shorewood" . We will be staying there over Canadian March break. I have never written a review and I am not a complainer by nature, but I feel the need to vent today. This morning we received a friendly reminder via e-mail from 'Royal Shell Vacations' that we needed to submit our final payment. A month ago when we booked, we paid (via our "Business Travel' VISA) the first down payment.
Upon getting the email this morning, I felt excited and relieved to get the final payment out of the way, so we could say that all the details have been completed and 'we are ready to roll!'....until I read the fine print..... THEY DO NOT ACCEPT CREDIT CARD for the final payment!!!!!??? They only accept a personal cheque, OR wire transfer (which is expensive!) OR 'E-Check' form (which costs $5.55). I called Visa and asked if they could write a credit card cheque. They indeed are willing to do this at a huge cost to us. We will not end up with travel points, we will be charged, and this is also considered a "cash advance" and we will have to immediately start paying a very high interest!
I called the RSV office to confirm this, as I really couldn't believe it myself... In this day and age I simply can't wrap my head around a company that will not accept a major credit card for a holiday!!?? .....Mailing a personal cheque??! Wire Transfer?? Really?? This isn't the 80's anymore!!
My husband and I are very disappointed as we always book our holidays with our Business Travel Visa. We collect points this way, and as a result end up paying for a portion of our holiday. AND this is also how our company pays for our holiday. We have NEVER experienced a time when we could not use our credit card to book a holiday!!
Just archaic!!!!

We are hoping our stay at Shorewood 1D makes up for this.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
11  Thank B T
There are newer reviews for Shorewood Condominiums

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed in D1 last April. We have stayed in MANY condos all over the south, but D1 was by far the best. It is extremely spacious and tastefully decorated. We had 3 adults and 2 teens and everyone was happy. They are kind enough to allow you use of their beach chairs, umbrellas and beach toys. They even have a wonderful cart to help haul it out. What a lifesaver it was! The pool was nice and very quiet. The screened in porch was fabulous for eating breakfast and reading! It might have been my favorite aspect of the condo. It also has this cute spiral staircase that goes straight down to the outside off the back porch. Our kids loved it! If we ever decide to buy a condo, I would want it to be just like Shorewood D1!

Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank cmdaniel
Reviewed April 14, 2012

We stayed at Shorewood last November the condo is extremely comfortable and everything you could want is provided. There is a lot of space so you will not be on top of each other, the location is great too. It is no distance to the beach so you can pop back for a drink if you are thirsty!
The beach is delightful and very unspoilt, the shells are amazing and one is able to enjoy long walks along this paradise.
The restaurants on Sanibel are the best we had on our trip to Florida, the food was good at all the 4 places we were taken.
Sanibel is quite a unique place in Florida, near to nature and away from the commercialism.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Carolyn O
Reviewed May 19, 2008

This has been our 4th visit to The Shorewood condo complex and we have stayed in 3 of the 13 condos. This trip we stayed in apartment 1D. Whilst this did not have the spectacular gulf views the beach front apartments have. It was amazing quality.

It was like a brand new condo. On the first floor in block D slightly away from the beach but overlooking the pool. There was a lift (which was broken when we arrived but was soon fixed)

The furnishings looked new and the beds were some of the most comfortable we have slept in. This all added to the wonderful relaxed feeling of being so close to the beach and not suffering any loss of luxury at home. The condo had 1 king and 2 twin bed rooms sleeping a maximum of 6. The 3rd bedroom is a little small and the closet is outside in the hallway there was storage under the TV cabinet in the room.

The master had a bath and shower with one more bathroom serving the other two bedrooms. The kitchen had every item you could want if you like cooking on vacation (we eat out every night!!) with a full size washer and dryer. A dishwasher, fridge freezer and microwave are also fitted and worked fine.

The living room was bright and had some beautiful pictures. Glass topped dining table with covered chairs added a touch of elegance to the place. A wonderful white carpet leading out onto a balcony big enough to eat and snooze on.
We just tuned to WAVV 101.1 and let the music wash over us. Very smooth!

All the glassware and crockery were of very good quality, much better than we expected. Try using the "pinapple" tea set. Very funky!

There was a TV in each of the 3 bedrooms. The living room has a new 32" HDV TV which gave wonderful pictures. There was a DVD player in the master and living room. They even have a few DVD's to entertain you if you don't find a book (lots available) to read. The moves were a bit dated but fun to watch. There was a little library in the 3rd bedroom with some good books to read in the beach.

There is tenis court and a heated pool with ample parking. A garage is also available. We even found a store room on the ground floor with beach chairs and toys for the kids.

We hired a bike and used it most of the time to go to the shops (about a mile)

I had to stay in touch with my office in Spain and was so pleased to find the apartment had high speed wifi internet access, I could even sit by the pool and still get a signal!!. There were good instructions on how to link your computer and if now a cable for hard wire connection. Unlimited access was all included in the price and it was lighting fast.

We soon found the Sanibel eating out site which made chosing where to go for dinner easy. There are at least 4 great places to eat within a short bike ride.

The coplex was quite small and eveyone (we think only 4 other condos were occupied during our stay), was very friendly so we soon felt very much at home. The stone gravel drive made a noise at night when late comers came home which woke us a few times if the windows were open.

Sanibel is a secret to those who know it because it never changes and is just so safe and friendly.
Be sure to go and eat at Grandma Dots in the marina the shrimp is to die for!! and see my review of Sweet Malissas Cafe if you want to splash out on a fantastic eating experience. The Theatre which is 2 miles away was an unexpected pleasure.

We spent a day in the Ding Darling reserve and it was very good, we are told that in Summer you need anti bug cream (we used Skin so soft which was very effective) but in November to March it was great. If its romance you want go for a drive to Captiva and watch the sunset on the beach and eat in the Mucky Duck. If you are english and homesick, you can even get good old english fish and chips!!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank ovimorecp
Reviewed July 17, 2007

We have stayed at the Shorewood complex for several years and feel it is a great family environment. We meet our children and their families every 4th of July week in Sanibel and the Shorewood units are perfect for our family. We had stayed in unit 1B for 3 years and felt that it was getting tired and old looking and needed an update. So, we upgraded (or so we thought) to 3B this year (2007). The unit had a great view, but the first problem was the A/C was frozen up. The rental agency sent someone out right away. It took two different repair services just to get the temp down to 76 from the high 80's. The temp in 3B never got below 76. This was way too hot for our comfort, especially at night while trying to sleep. We ended up having to close the shades during the afternoon to conserve the cool air. We paid for the view!!!!!!! The bedroom fan still has two blades. We didn't use the top deck, except on the 4th to see the fireworks. We will not stay in this unit again as it is too pricey for what you actually get. Other units in the complex are less expensive and will fill our needs.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
3  Thank AngiBabyLakeland_FL
Reviewed June 10, 2007

My parents, fiance and I stayed in Shorewood 3B from June 2-9 of this year. Shorewood 3b is the top of the middle complex of shorewood and is gulf front. It was EXTREMELY roomy! It also had TWO decks. One screened in, and the other on top. Both decks very roomy. The condo itself was very nice. Clean, big, nice size kitchen, living room, bedrooms, and bath. The property of shorewood is also very nice. Maintained well, the pool is lovely, designed elegant, the loungechair were comfortable and someone came to clean the pool every other day. From the pool you just walk out on the walkway to the beach. The walkway has a hose to hose off as does the pool. The tennis court are very nice as well they just do not have lights for nightime play.They is an elevator as well. Now for some cons regarding 3B only, these things need to be said if u are planning on renting out condo 3b! The condo needs about 10k in repairs. When we went there the main fan in the living room was broke. The fan in the room where my fiance and I stayed in WORKED, BUT, only had two fan wings (which means the other two somehow were broken off) and where the fan was there was a huge whole in the wall. so one word if used DANGEROUS. That really should have been fixed before someone came to rent. Also, the tvs are old, and there are many remote controls and we werent able to use them. I know you aren't coming to Sanibel to watch tv but u want the luxury of having a remote control use instead of changing it manually. The kitchen needs to be redone. Some furniture needs to be replaced. The sliding doors on the porch need to be replaced as well. Don't get me wrong this unit was very nice but it has the potential to be IMMACULATELY ELEGANT MODERN. If u decide to rent out this particular one, i would call ahead to make sure my concerns have been fixed, just to get ur full moneys worth. As for the island itself, if you are looking to get away from it all and see beautiful wildlife,find beautiful rare seashells,and get beach time go here. All restaurants had fresh food especially seafood and sanibel and captiva are casually elegant islands. Cons of the island, BUGS BUGS AND BUGS! Yes it will be crazy hot but be prepared to get bit. Especially the no see ums. Even with bugspray they will still get ya. Towards the end of the trip i had to bust out the cortezone cream because the no see ums got my arms and legs. When I returned home the itching went away. No see ums can come through screened in places. I got bit the most on the porch. BE AWARE! Also, on the beach was a lot of redtide (seaweed that brings in dead fish and such) also it can make u sneeze and such and leaves a bad smelly fishy odor. Because of this, we were at the pool more. I dont know if it was the month or what but it was bothersome. The island is beautiful and worth seeing but I REPEAT u will get bit! Sanibel Island is a family tradition so we will be going back and we will most likely stay at shorewood 3b again IF THE REPAIRS ARE DONE! I hope this reveiw was helpful!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Lainy0957
Reviewed April 17, 2006

We have stayed at Shorewood on two occasions and really enjoy the complex as it is quiet in summer and we often have sole use of the pool, and the tennis court is rarely used in the warmer months.
Hurricane Charley caused us to exit early in 2004 but we have rarely found a nicer place to stay at reasonable prices.
It is within easy cycling distance to shops etc and is right on the beach.

• Stayed: August 2005