“Great Choice on Sanibel”

Sanibel Arms West Condominium
Reviewed June 23, 2008

Great stay in a great condo, D5 was our unit, nicely kept up, great to be oceanfront. Two complaints from reading past reviews, they do not supply bikes, you must rent them. Also, the beach chairs provided are pretty bad, bring your own if you are picky. Other than this, the place was great, nicely kept up, kids loved it. Had a smoker below us who did not heed the no-smoking signs in their lanai, but I didn't complain. You will enjoy your stay here, great complex...

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank 30,043

Reviewed April 29, 2008

Recently stayed, with husband and two children, at Sanibel Arms West Condos (B2).

Best place on the island. Moderately priced; beautiful, clean condo (2 bed., 2 bath)

Everything we needed was there; bikes, beach chairs, pool, GREAT beach.

Had to arrive a day early due to problem with plane tickets. I called ahead and they made certain our condo was ready.

I will definitely go back again! Can't wait to return!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank fletchme
Reviewed April 25, 2008

After spending 9 days at this facility, our 3 kids (15,11,9) had no desire to leave. The condos were easy to find and get to. We could jump on bikes and ride to nearby shops,restaurants,ice cream stores,etc.. The condos are nice sized with plenty of room for relaxing and/or entertaining. The 2 screened in porches were very nice to have also. The individual condos as well as the overall property are very well maintained and offer a lot of privacy. The pool is very nice and is screened in. The kids had never seen anything like this befor and thought it was cool. The elevated sun deck (overlooking the pool/not screened in) was nice ,as you could watch over the kids and view the gulf as well. The beach is awesome and we all had a blast swimming,walking,shelling (found a ton of cool ones/the condos even have a place to put your shells in and wash them off as you come off the beach),playing catch with footballs,baseballs,frisbees,etc..
The condos have everything you need except food and drinks. The food at the stores on the island is a little pricey so we went to the mainland to stock up.
The entire staff ,from the office to maintenence workers ,were always friendly and helpful, from giving directions to helping make reservations. One staff member even went to a local shop and purchased a replacement souvenir alligator head for our son because the one he purchased got chewed up by our dog when we got home.
Overall this place met and exceeded our expectations. We will definitely be returning in the future.

Stayed: April 2008
1  Thank camelotskibums
Reviewed April 18, 2008

My family and I went to Sanibel Island during Spring Break for five days. We decided to stay at Sanibel Arms West, mostly because it offered condos about the same size as others on the island, but for lower nightly rates.
Our condo was spacious and comfortable. There were two bedrooms, one kitchen, two bathrooms, a dining room, a living room, and a screened porch. I thought the furniture was relatively comfortable, except for the bed in the couch in the living room. I was the person who slept there for the entire stay, and I can clearly remember the bars on the back of the mattress digging into my back. In addition, the mattress in our room was on an odd angle, forcing me to put my pillow at the foot of the bed instead of at the head.
I loved having the screened porch in our room! When the temperature reached ninety degrees and beyond, the porch was still comfortable because it was shaded and there was a fan located in the center of the porch’s ceiling. Sometimes, I would sit on the porch for hours, reading in the breeze coming off of the Gulf.
The beach was only a short walk away from our condo. It was beautiful! I was able to see one of the bridges leading to the island and Naples. It was much cooler near the beach than near the condos, making it extremely comfortable to sit lazily in the sun or wade in the water. My only complaint about the beach was the ridiculous amount of shells washing up on the beach at high tide. They make walking near the waterline barefoot extraordinarily uncomfortable.
During our stay, it was typical to see ominous-looking clouds on one side of the horizon, but it only rained a couple of times. Even when it did rain, the showers were light and short.
One frustrating fact about the island in general was the lack of places to eat. There are a few restaurants, but they are generally small and crowded throughout the day. Anyone who is planning on staying on the island should remember to bring groceries for your stay before crossing the bridge. The toll was six dollars; therefore, most visitors would not want to cross the bridge multiple times during the trip. There was a moderate selection of restaurants on the other side of the bridge, including a Ruby Tuesday, but I didn’t think eating in restaurants during the trip was worth paying six dollars for each crossing.
I recommend going on the dolphin tour available at Sanibel. The trolley picked my family and me up at our condo and it took us to a boat on the other side of the bridge. The boat traveled around the Gulf and the captain pointed out dolphins playfully jumping around the boat. Some of the dolphins came within ten feet of our boat and rode in the wake it made.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank kelseasc413
Reviewed January 23, 2008

We have been staying at Sanibel Arms West for last approx. 8 years. Never before have I submitted a review on anything, but our experience says we should do so.

Great value. The condos are well maintained not only inside but even the outdoor grounds. Mgmt. is on site and Steve Snyder and staff are accommodating, helpful, and don't make mistakes. The screened in outdoor pool is wonderful. Bikes are on site and in good condition. It seems like each year they add amenities. This year there was a new lounge room at the pool with free computers for the guests as well as improved laundry facility and outdoor gas grills.

After having previously stayed at a couple other places we contacted the Sanibel chamber of commerce for suggestions and they indicated that Sanibel Arms West was among the best values on the island. and were they ever right.

Whereas some of the places are only Saturday to Saturday, I have found Steve to attempt to be accomodating to my in and out needs when possible. One example of their service comes to mind on this last trip. We inquired about a cruise from Captiva, and Jenni not only explained the cruise but then called for us and booked our cruise instead of just handing me their phone number.

We plan to return to Sanibel Arms West again next year and suggest you also give them a try.

Stayed: January 2008
2  Thank TitleistDale
Reviewed January 15, 2008

The Sanibel Arms West (SAW) complex was incredible. The pool was large, but ideal for little kids (very warm) and the private beach in front of SAW was beautiful. The pictures on the internet of SAW and the beach do not do it justice.

The unit we stayed in H7 was great for our family and very well maintained. Having a washer and drier certainly made life easier. The lanai with a view of the Gulf was amazing. It was great to be able to eat meals facing the ocean. The unit met every need that we had. The ceiling fans and screens, along with the good
weather resulted in us not having to use the air conditioning the entire time we were there.

We also found the people (both office staff and guests) at the SAW to be very friendly and there were a lot of young children around.

We plan to return.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Shane&Judy
Reviewed January 3, 2008

If you want great rates call the hotel directly or go on line. Most other companies, I won't mention by name rip you off and are very unfriendly. The staff at SAW is very friendly and they take the time to explain things to you. I have made reservations again and plan on enjoying myself. Great location and I look forward to going again. The neat thing is that the porch and balcony are screened in and you can sit out and enjoy sunrise and sunset.
I'd recommend Sanibel Arms West to anyone. Last, but not least, if you are looking for a fancy restaraunt, this is not for you. There are plenty of restaraunts on the island and you have a full kitchen available to you if you want to cook.

Stayed: September 2007