“Quiet and Quaint”
Review of Seahorse Cottages

and 1 more site!
Seahorse Cottages
Reviewed November 19, 2006

I loved the fact that we never even "checked in/out". Just a simple phone call and that's it. We barely even saw any guests and the ones we did were very friendly. Everything was neat and clean. Plenty of towels provided along with beach chairs, umbrellas, bikes, and wagons to use as needed. It is a little far from the middle of town, but September is so slow that we had no trouble finding parking. We especially enjoyed the covered porches for relaxing in the mornings and evenings. The entrance is difficult to find at first (arrived at night) but if that is my biggest complaint than who can say this trip was anything but fantastic. Very private, romantic and peaceful. We will definitely return - hopefully sonner than later.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
11  Thank yentruoc52

Reviewed April 29, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Seahorse Cottages the last week in April, 2006. We fell in love with our 1 bedroom cottage. It had all the amenities. It is just a block from the Gulf and a few yards from the bay on a secluded street in Old Town Sanibel. The cottages have a small pool. We're floaters, rather than swimmers, so the pool was perfect for us.

These 4 cottages accomodate 10 guests, adults only. Except for checking in, we never saw the owners, and only glimpsed other guests. There is no daily maid service. We felt as though we were in our own, private cottage. It was wonderful. The cottage was darling, tastefully decorated with antiques and very comfortable. It was clean. Free bicycles and wagons for shelling were included with the cottage. We biked a little, relaxed a lot. The cottages have wireless internet, so we were able to finish up work there, even though on vacation.

Sanibel has wonderful restaurants, Ding Darling Nature Preserve, great seashelling, beautiful sunsets. The atmosphere is casual - no need to get all dressed up. I would recommend Seahorse Cottages to any adults looking for a great Get Away.
l

• Stayed: April 2006
9  Thank Grillery
Burtonsville, MD
Reviewed January 14, 2006

My wife & I honeymooned in Sanibel (Oct 2005) and spent a week at Seahorse Cottages. We choose Seahorse over the nearby/similarily-priced 'Tarpoon Tale Inn' because of Seahorse's patio/pool facilities. There are four or five cottages all connected to each other in a long row. We stayed in the one closest to the office.

Seahorse was nice. Everything was accurate as described on the website. There were no big suprises: Our cottage was clean, quiet, and romantic. The kitchen worked for the occasional inexpensive meal. The TV and DVD player worked fine. Most rooms have fans. The pool & patio were small, but fine for a quick dip or sunbathing. Neighbors were friendly. The bikes and beach equipment (umbrellas!) worked great. We used the bikes on a long sunrise ride through the refuge. I talked with Peggy (the innkeeper) in person twice, she was kind, helpful, and unobtrusive. Common washer & dryer worked fine.

The location is good. It's a half mile off the main road on a quiet sidestreet. Lighthouse cafe (great breakfast) and a sandwich deli were a block away. Both the bay and gulf beaches were a 3 minute walk away. To get to the center of the island (and beyond) you definitely need a car (unless you can handle a 30 minute bike ride in the beating sun).

One nugget: Peggy set up wireless internet access. It doesn't reach all of the cottages so she doesn't advertise it, but if you ask for a cottage closer to the office--you should be able to get it.

The only con about Seahorse is that the cottages are definitely on the small side. The bedroom and bathroom were particularly tight. Tolerable, but tight. The kitchen and living room were more reasonable. Other than that it's a very nice place! We'll almost certainly stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2005
15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Monticello, KY
Reviewed July 21, 2005

My wife and I spent 1 week in June at the Seahorse. This was our 4th time staying there and we absolutely love the place. I must admit we were saddened to learn that Lou and Carol are no longer the owners. We had grown very accustomed to being treated not as guests, but as old friends. I am happy to say, however, that the new owner, Peggy, does a more than adequate job of keeping up this tradition. She took care of all our needs and made our stay just as enjoyable as always. We look forward to going back next year.

• Stayed: June 2005
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Orlando, FL
Reviewed October 5, 2004

Seahorse Cottages is one of our favorite places. Lou & Carol go above and beyond the call to make sure your stay is a pleasant one. They treat their guests more like family than like customers. Everything you need is there for you, books, bikes, coolers, wagons etc. Bring your bathing suit and a few changes of casual clothes and you are ready for an awesome, relaxing stay. Besides their hospitality, Lou & Carol are very knowledgeable regarding dining and activities on the island. They provided the input that allowed me to plan the weekend I proposed to my wife, obviously making it a special place for us.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Broomall, PA
Reviewed February 27, 2004

I stayed at the Seahorse Cottages for 5 nights in January by myself. The accomodations were superb. The owners Lou and Carol were just fantastic people ! Very helpful and caring and always making sure that I was comfortable and had everything I needed. What a wonderful place to unwind and relax and destress. I highly recommend Seahorse Cottages to anyone who wants a top notch place to stay on Sanibel Island. You won't ever forget your time in this little piece of paradise !!!!

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Titusville,Fl.
Reviewed July 16, 2003

I have had the pleasure of staying at the Seahorse Cottages many times.
Several times alone,several times with friends.One time with 9 girlfriends and we rented all the cottages. I recomend the last is the way to go. We had a blast.Lou and Carol the owners are very hospitable, down to earth people.They are also knowlegdeable in places to eat, what to see and do on the Island. Seahorse Cottages are located at the east end right behind great island shops and a local resturant with world famous breakfasts. A Great RELAXING time will be had by all who stay there.

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member