“Two Thumbs Up!”
Review of Seahorse Cottages

Seahorse Cottages
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Reviewed June 2, 2008

Really enjoyed our recent stay at Seahorse Cottages. We rented the one bedroom unit, it was neat, private and had everything we needed (the beach umbrella and wagon were a nice touch). The location is great on the quiet east end of the island, really convenient to the beach, shops and causeway. The pool was nice to relax in as well, just the right combination of sunlight and shade. Had a wonderful time, will definitely stay with you folks again.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nickmcnickster

Reviewed February 2, 2008

My friend and I stayed in the studio cottage with one queen bed and a sofa. Too bad they don't have any small cottages with 2 beds. The sofa wasn't very comfortable for sleeping (not a pull-out sofa). Peggy, the owner, was great though, providing us with whatever we needed during the stay. The place was clean and included everything you'd ever need. Even beach towels were provided.

We used the free bikes, shell cleaning station, hammock and swinging chair. It was nice to be able to sit on own porch and enjoy the peaceful surroundings, front or back. The lack of kids here was a real bonus. The pool was tiny but always clean. Unfortunately, it wasn't heated when we arrived (blown fuse) but Peggy fixed that right away. I didn't report it right away though because I wasn't sure if it was advertised as heated or not. Too bad the staff hadn't noticed the problem before we got there because we were there over some very cool days and the pool never got very warm before we had to leave.

This property is beautiful. The landscaping uses many different varieties of trees with a shell covered ground. You hear birds all around. There is a short walk or bike ride to each of three beaches because you are at the end of the island. Each beach is different in terms of how sandy, fishy or covered in shells it is. The variety is awesome and we got up each morning to explore as much as we could.

The shopping nearby is good too. There's a great place to have a good breakfast (Lighthouse Restaurant I believe) and another that serves home-made ice cream in a little plaza 1 minute away, walking. If you want a quiet peaceful relaxing beach vacation, this is the place.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with friends
7  Thank MirandaF
Reviewed January 24, 2008

My husband and I were looking for a quick getaway over the
Christmas holiday and found the Seahorse Cottages on the internet. Peggy, the Innkeeper was very helpful and described the cottage to me and we immediately booked a 4 night stay. The property is just as described on their website and more! We stayed in Cottage #1A which is a studio and it was equipped with everything we needed. The cottage was immaculate!
They provide complimentary bikes, beach towels, sand chairs and wagons. There is a pool which is small but heated and well tended. The area is quiet and relaxing. The Lighthouse Cafe is just a short walk and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner.
I would highly recommend the Seahorse Cottages to anyone who is looking for a quiet getaway that's within walking distance to two beaches. We loved it! Thanks to Peggy and Christine
for being so personable and making our trip so enjoyable!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank kam528
Reviewed November 24, 2007

This was our first stay at these cottages. The location is out of the way, which is fine with us, and very quiet. The cottages are nice but the housekeeping could be a bit better. The floors are tile and seem to always have sand on them. There were also ants in the kitchen.

The cottages are spacious and fairly well appointed. We had a deluxe 1 bedroom and had a TV in the bedroom, a TV in the living room with a DVD/VCR player. Bicycle usage is complimentary, although we never used them.

Overall, we'd probably stay again in the future, but they need to solve the ant problem.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank reiddg
sanibelinnkeeper, owner/innkeeper at Seahorse Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2007

I am responding to the above review as owner and innkeeper of Seahorse Cottages. I am sorry that the above guest found any problems with our cottages. All the other reviews show that we do our best to provide each guest with a relaxing vacation in paradise. I wish that I had been contacted so that I had the opportunity to remedy any shortcomings he felt present. All our cottages are fully cleaned and the floors both vacuumed and mopped prior to a guest's arrival and I am confident that at check in there was no sand on the floor. Being at the beach however, sand is easily tracked in. Buttonwood Lane is a sandy lane, as is our driveway. Mats are provided outside the door and inside the door, but I'm sure that does not stop all the sand from coming in. Brooms, and hand vacs are provided in the closet or if asked I would have gladly provided a full size vac for his use. As far as the ants, I apologize for them but again wish I had been told. We have an exterminator who treats the cottages on a regular basis and is available within a few hours notice should additional spot treatments be necessary. If we had been notified we would have had the problem corrected within a few hours. Ants are a reality on this island, but we do our best to keep them out of the cottages. We would have welcomed the opportunity to have them taken care of quiickly during his stay.

Reviewed October 25, 2007

My wife and I recently returned from a 4 night 5 day stay at the cottages. As always, we relied on TripAdvisor in helping us select our accomadations. The reviews were right on the money, clean, quiet, well appointed and close to everything. The kitchen was well stocked and they gave you everything you need to enjoy time at the beach. We will definately return to the Seahorse.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jime19
Reviewed October 2, 2007

We stayed at Seahorse Cottages in May this year for 14 nights and got married on the beach next to the cottages on May 3rd at sunrise!! It was lovely, my husband and I had the Deluxe room, my parents had the normal one bedroom and my brother and a friend stayed in the studio. The rooms are all clean and more than adequate. The gardens surrounding the cottages are lovely with shell lined paths and palm trees, a BBQ area is also provided.

The swimming pool is quite sweet as it's so small (you can push yourself from one end to the other!!) But perfect to cool yourself off in the heat.

Just round the corner you have The Lighthouse Cafe which claims to serve the best breakfast in the world and as we had our wedding breakfast in there that was definately true!!.

If you want access right on the beach then seahorse cottages is not for you, but for us it was perfect it's about 30 steps to one beach and a 5 minute walk to the other beach.

If anyone wants any more info just send a message on the link below and I will be happy to answer them, I have also stayed at the parrot's nest which is next door.

Book it and enjoy!!

• Stayed: May 2007
4  Thank LoveToFly75
Reviewed November 19, 2006

I loved the fact that we never even "checked in/out". Just a simple phone call and that's it. We barely even saw any guests and the ones we did were very friendly. Everything was neat and clean. Plenty of towels provided along with beach chairs, umbrellas, bikes, and wagons to use as needed. It is a little far from the middle of town, but September is so slow that we had no trouble finding parking. We especially enjoyed the covered porches for relaxing in the mornings and evenings. The entrance is difficult to find at first (arrived at night) but if that is my biggest complaint than who can say this trip was anything but fantastic. Very private, romantic and peaceful. We will definitely return - hopefully sonner than later.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple