“In Love with the Tarpon Tale Inn” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tarpon Tale Inn

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Tarpon Tale Inn
OKC
“In Love with the Tarpon Tale Inn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2008

We loved the TTI. We were looking for a quiet, relaxing way to celebrate our first anniversary and we found it! When we arrived we found our key in an envelope in the office and went straight to our room. No hassles with checking in! We stayed in the Birdhouse cottage, it was so cute and just perfect for two people. We were worried that the room would be too small but it was just perfect! The grounds were so nice and it was very quiet. You dont even realize you have neighbors!

We enjoyed the Lighthouse Restaurant (across the street) for breakfast and the shops next door were great too. We also enjoyed the beach in the morning (just a short walk or drive around the corner) and would walk over to the bayside (which also was a short walk) late afternoon for shelling.

We couldnt be more pleased with our stay in Sanibel and would definitely recommend the TTI to our friends.

G&F of OKC

• Liked — Quietness
  • Disliked — wish it were closer to the beach - although it wasnt a problem
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Dawn R, Owner at Tarpon Tale Inn, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you so much!
Dawn

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2008

From Heather and Jessica
We are both native Floridians and yet felt like we were in paradise in some far away island. Our stay at the Tarpon Tale Inn was something we never experienced...relaxing, peaceful, like staying with family rather than a hotel. The Inn location was great we loved the secluded part of Periwinkle Way far enough from most of the traffic but close enough to venture to all the shops and restaurants. We loved parking the car and getting around by bike. We recommend the Tarpon Tale Inn to the traveler who wants a quite, secluded and peaceful time in paradise.

Stayed May 2008
Eastbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2008

This was our second time at the Tarpon Tale Inn and was a lovely as our first visit in 2007.

We stayed in the same efficiency room which was spotless again and had everything we needed provided by Dawn the owner.
Beach towels, chairs and sunshades are available to borrow free of charge. There are also bikes you can use - however, you do have to get used to back peddling to stop!
Each room has its own screened patio and furniture which was lovely to sit out on in the evenings.

There is a short but very pleasant walk to the beach, which was never crowded during our stay and the deli next door is brilliant.

We thoroughly enjoyed the bike ride to the the many restuarants we visited during our stay - one of our favourites being McT's!

We were quite happy to keep the room tidy and appreciated the relaxed atmosphere of the Inn. Dawn was always on hand in the mornings to answer questions about the Island and kept a very good lending library, which I made good use of!

Sanibel and Tarpon Tale Inn provided an ideal place to recharge
our batteries and we hope to return again.

• Liked — The relaxed atmosphere
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Saginaw
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2008

The Tarpon Tale Inn was PARADISE! We spent one week there in March and LOVED our stay. The rooms were clean, clean, clean and sooo comfortable. I have never stayed anywhere so spotless! The bed mattresses were knew and extremely comfortable. Dawn, our host was the sweetest person in the world and so helpful with all island hints. The private beach is about 1 block away down a cute dirt road. We took the free bikes which made it a quick two minute ride.

Some hints for your trip: Lighthouse Cafe for breakfast (right across the road:>)

Grandma Dots for lunch...loved the fried oysters

And the Sanibel Streak house for dinner.

We loved our stay at the Tarpon Tale and look forward to returning in June.

• Liked — Clean and CUTE CUTE CUTE!
  • Disliked — We had to go home :>(
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2008

I was reading the prior review and wondered if the poster stayed at the same place while I was there, as I too just returned.

I didn't have a problem with the inn or the setting. It's on the quieter end of Sanibel Island, near the lighthouse. Yes, it is on Periwinkle Way (the island's main drag---the ONLY one, btw) but there is hardly the chaotic traffic scene of down island, which I personally witnessed. I don't know if I'd want to be staying in that congested area, and unless you pay for a costly beachfront resort or a condo rental, there aren't alot of other options. The ice cream shop, deli and cafe across the street are all great options for food.

The room were small, but I wasn't in it much. My bed was comfortable, there was a fridge, tv and a shower, so no complaints. I don't make a mess---so cleaned up after myself every day just fine. It was nice not to have to deal with staff---I'd stayed elsewhere recently and had a very unfortunate incident with a maid, so this was a welcome relief. I felt like I was staying at a wonderful old beach house in, say, Nantucket, Montauk or Balboa Island. If you expect 5 star ambience, seclusion or pretentiousness (like ladies having to wear closed toe shoes to dinner---in warm high season!!!), there are plenty of other, pricier choices. If you need family facilities, then you should be looking into a condo rental. The inn is great for short stays of up to a few weeks, but is hardly the place to build a snowbird's nest for the season...nor should it be. It's not a traditional hosted inn---I had been corresponding with the owners beforehand and knew what to expect, that was fine for me. I found the owners there in the mornings when I was checking email and they gave me plenty of info and tips for my exploration of the islands.

I biked everywhere and sat in the back on the hammock and read there some afternoons to unwind. On the whole, as a single woman traveling alone, I found the inn perfect for my needs. And it was easy to get to---because you turn left off the causeway, not right into a sea of traffic. Lighthouse Beach is nearby, and yes, you have to pay to park there as most beach resorts require in popular areas all over the USA!

I read the reviews here and elsewhere and studied the map and guidebooks about Sanibel feel I made a good choice. I hope I can get back someday (but for us on the west coast, it can be a haul to get to Florida!). Sanibel's very special, but it may not be for everyone. If you want it to be like Hilton Head...please, by all means, go there instead :-)

• Liked — Not having to lug my gear up stairs (I overpacked, AGAIN!); the location :-)
  • Disliked — OK, one towel didn't match. So what? :-)
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
Ann Arbor, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2007

From the map of Old Sanibel to which the Tarpon Tale Inn refers potential guests, it appears that the Inn, if not on the Gulf, has visual access to it . WRONG. It also appears that Old Sanibel is a small village like setting with shops and stores located in a circumscribed area. WRONG. The Tarpon Tale Inn is on the main highway. The grounds are very poorly maintained, and to us, the setting was clautrophobic.

If you don't mind walking to the beach, it's about 4 blocks from the inn and very nice. Like almost all the beaches on Sanibel - there is no parking available for non-residents. This means if you want to bring beach chairs, stuff for kids, a food hamper, know you have to carry it all.

Re service: There wasn't any. No one greeted us when we arrived. Our key was in an envelope on a corkboard as you entered the reception area along with a letter instructing us where to find clean towels, cleaning supplies, etc. There is no maid service at all. 2 days into our stay, we met the owner while she was doing laundry on site, otherwise, she was invisible (altho she did say she was always reachable by phone and we have no reason to think she wasn't).

The room itself was comfortable but quite run down - i think the website said they were recently renovated - this seems hard to believe. Towels are scratchy and dingy from wear and tear. Bikes are provided, and while I found them usable, my husband who is much more safety conscious didn't.

There was a computer in the reception area so checking email was easy without needing to bring your own.

Restaurant tip: The crunchy grouper at Timbers is the best fried fish I ever had. Food on the island is generally mediocre and surprisingly pricy. We enjoyed the breakfast we had at the Over Easy Cafe and the coffee at the Sanibel Bean.

• Liked — comfortable bed
  • Disliked — location, poor maintenance, poor value for the money
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank fenmen
iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2007

We stayed at the Tarpon Tale Inn for the first 3 nights of our Sanibel vacation. It has quaint, cute cottages, ours was one large room which included a full kitchen. The bathroom was rather small but served it's purpose. Everything was very clean and comfortable. When we checked in there was a note to us on the bulletin board telling us to go to our room and our key would be on the table. We didn't see the owner until the day we checked out. This place is located on Periwinkle, the main road of the Island, but when you walk down the nicely landscaped path to your cottage, you feel far away from the busy street. They provide bikes, which we used a couple of times. Some of them could use a little repairing.

I liked staying in this east end location because it was so close to many shops and restaurants. The Lighthouse Cafe and Pinocchio's was right across the street.

The only thing I didn't like was the 2 plus blocks you had to walk to get to the beach. But the price was right and it was a very good place to relax and enjoy some much needed peace and quiet.

• Liked — Close to everything, good price, clean and comfortable.
  • Disliked — Too far from beach.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple