“Enjoyed our stay”

GreenLeadersGold level
Lake Mary, Florida
“Enjoyed our stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Leaving today and wish we could stay another week. We want to thank the manager Chris, the front desk staff, the housekeeping staff, the maintenance staff and the lady that maintains the breakfast area, for a wonderful visit. The property is beautifully maintained. We stayed in Matthews Lodge and room 226 which we want to claim as our personal room when we return. The Wi-Fi worked great; the breakfast in the morning was adequate; and we even enjoyed the tennis courts. We will definitely return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank VickyandDanny
Fishingflats, Manager at Island Inn, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Island Inn for your stay on Sanibel Island and for taking the time to share your experience. The staff at the Inn remembers you and the pleasure was certainly ours. I hope you have a nice remainder of your summer and that you can visit the Island Inn again soon! :-)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed in the Kimball Lodge and had a great view of the gulf. The staff was courteous and very helpful. We loved how they had paddle boards and kayaks on sight. We loved paddle boarding so much the first day we did it a second day. Saw a manatee and two sea turtles while doing it. Had we not stayed there, we likely wouldn't have thought of even going paddle boarding.

Fishingflats, Manager at Island Inn, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience concerning your stay at the Island Inn on Sanibel. I'm so glad you enjoyed your time at the Inn and used the Inn's kayaks and paddleboards to get out and see some of the natural wonders we are so fortunate to have surrounding us. I'm surprised you did not see any dolphins, too!

Again, thank you for your stay and I hope you are able to visit the Island Inn again soon! :-)
O'Fallon, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed at the Island Inn from for 5 nights in the middle of June 2013. We had never been to Sanibel Island before, and the resort was quite a welcome to the island.

We were greeted by two very helpful ladies when we checked in. They gave us a map of the grounds, password for Wi-Fi access, and various other pamphlets and brochures that would be helpful to us during our stay. They also included some coupons for a free taster cone to Zebra's Frozen Yogurt (delicious, by the way, but that's a different review).

When we came into our room, I was in awe. It stated on the website when I booked that the rooms had been recently updated, but I was not prepared for how gorgeous the rooms were. We stayed in Starkey Lodge on the first floor (we didn't even request this; booking put us on the first floor since we had 3 kids). Our view from the room was breathtaking, both a view of the pool and of the Gulf of Mexico.

Our particular room had two queen size beds, couch, full kitchen (stove, microwave, refrigerator, coffee pot, toaster, dinnerware, silverware, cookware, etc.). We also had a kitchen table with 4 chairs and a breakfast bar with two stools. The bathroom was well equipped with a tiled shower, double sink vanity, and stocked with plenty of towels, soap, shampoo, lotion, etc. for the first 3 days. There was also a flat screen TV and DVD player in the room, as well as a window air conditioner and ceiling fan (which was plenty to keep our room cool even though the temp outside was in the 90s). We never had any issues connecting to Wi-Fi while we were here either.

My husband took our younger kids to breakfast each morning, while I stayed back with our sleeping oldest child. He said there were pastries (one of which he brought me back: a pecan roll which was delicious!), yogurts, hard boiled eggs, juice, etc. It was served in Traditions on the Beach, which is their on site restaurant (although we did not get to try the dinner menu from here).

The beach was by far our favorite part of the resort. I could spend hours sifting through the piles of shells on the shore. We would alternate between the pool and the beach. The pool was actually warmer than the beach; I believe it was a heated pool, but they should turn it off during the summer since it's not really needed. There were also various activities on the resort: horseshoes, beach volleyball, shuffleboard among them. There are BBQ grills scattered abut the resort also so you can use these for a meal. There are free beach chairs for guest use; you just have to make sure to bring them back up with you.

Overall, for the price we paid for our room, I couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. When we come back to Sanibel, we will definitely be staying here again!

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor of Starkey Lodge, Room 237. Awesome view of the gulf and the entire gro...
Fishingflats, Manager at Island Inn, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Island Inn for your first Sanibel Island vacation experience. Also, thank you for writing such a thorough and accurate review of our facilities, accommodations, amenities and guests services. I'm so happy the Inn met your family's needs and expectations and we will look forward to your next visit! :-)
St. Petersburg, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

THe Island Inn dates back to 1895, though it has clearly been updated and renovated since its origins. The property sits on the beach and includes various buildings, with cottages and single room units. We stayed in Matthews Lodge, which is quite close to the beach and has gulf views. Our room had a king size bed, a spacious bathroom with a stall shower, a screened in porch facing the beach and the amenities of : small coffee maker, iron and ironing board, small fridge, microwave and safe.
The room was tastefully decorated, with a light beach feel to it. THere was ample storage space in the bathroom vanity and in a big dresser. There was a flat screen TV, with a DVD player beside it. The clock had an i pod dock. Unfortunately the clock did not light up so i couldn't use it to tell time at night.
I was disappointed in the bed linens. THe bottom sheet was skimpy and pulled off the bed and was almost scratchy to the touch.
The air conditioning unit was on the side above the bed, and blew strongly to that side of the bed---not very pleasant for my husband.
Breakfast is included in the room rate. I was forewarned by previous reviews as to the limitations of this buffet---mainly pastries ( freshly baked) with hard boiled eggs, yogurt, cut fruit, juice, coffee and tea. It was odd to have the eggs yet no regular bread to eat them with---croissants were the least sweet bread item.
THe Inn provides beach lounges---which you must drag out to the beach. They rent umbrellas for $8 a day. THey gladly give you extra towels for the beach---but they are bath towels. You can rent; kayaks, paddle boards and bikes by the hour or the day. THere is a volley ball net, two shuffleboard mats and a lovely small in ground pool. The Inn's beach is quite nice and has tons of shells!!!
There is a small coin laundry, a ice machine, a soda machine, free WIFI, free parking and a small library with books, puzzles, a computer and printer.
The restaurant is only open for dinner, and during off season only until 9PM. THere is a bar attached but I am not sure how late it stays open.
The place is very kid friendly. The pool was pretty much monopolized by the children---but their parents were very attentive. There are no lifeguards here---at the pool or at the beach.
ALl of the staff were very friendly and helpful. When the maid saw that we had bought coffee to use in the in room coffee pot, she left us a package of coffee filters.
I didn't give this hotel a higher rating because I expected better quality breakfast, sheets and more meal options at the price we paid per night. I did enjoy my stay and since it was our first time in Sanibel, I don't know how this Inn compares to other similariily priced resorts. It does get an excellant for location and for staff helpfulness~~~~

Room Tip: A cottage might be a very good deal for familes and/or groups of friends since they include full kit...
Green Features: THey did have recycling containers in the rooms and did remind guests about saving their towels.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LPE22
Fishingflats, Manager at Island Inn, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Island Inn and for leaving a review of your experience. I’m so glad you enjoyed your overall time at the Inn. Please allow me to address some of the concerns you expressed within your review so prospective guest’s expectations are realized.

The iPod/iPhone docking alarm clock has a large button on the top of the unit to adjust illumination labeled “dimmer”. Guests are encouraged to contact our front desk staff if they feel an item in their accommodation is not functioning properly, as it is usually something easy to fix, such as this.

I’m surprised the Complimentary light Continental breakfast expectations were not accurate, as you mentioned you had learned of the items available before your stay from previous reviews. To reiterate for prospective guests, our Complimentary light Continental breakfast consists of fresh baked pastries, fresh cut fruit, yogurt assortment, hardboiled eggs, coffee, tea and fresh squeezed juices. These items are also listed on every page of the Island Inn website.

Our restaurant, bar and lounge is open to our guests only for our Complimentary light Continental breakfast and then open to all for dinner beginning at 5 PM Monday through Saturday during off season. See the Island Inn website for detailed operation hours, menus, pricing and all pertinent specifics.

Again, thank you for your stay and review. I hope your travels home to Long Island were safe and you are able to visit Sanibel Island again soon.
Tucker, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

We had a wonderful three night stay at the Island Inn. I could not have been more pleased with my choice and believe me I do read TripAdvisor, study the the websites, and talk to front desks before I pick an accommodation. We traveled with another couple and they were also extremely pleased. We had two rooms on the first floor of Kimball Lodge(Gulfview deluxe rooms with screened porches). The beach and pool were great and the open areas between the different accommodations and the roof deck on the second floor of Kimball just gave everyone so much space to enjoy the beautiful property. The rooms are beautiful and the cleaning staff does a great job everyday.

We enjoyed the included continental breakfast in the lovely Traditions restaurant and we had dinner there too one night. Great food, great staff, great views and comfortably upscale yet still casual enough for families and couples to enjoy, even live music. At breakfast you can wear your bathing suit with a cover-up.

We will be back! Cottages, different types of rooms and full kitchen suites, something for everyone...we would like to try them all and will consult with the wonderful people at the front desk to decide what is best for our needs at that time. Three days is just not enough time to enjoy everything at the Island Inn and beautiful Sanibel!!!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carolyn K
Fishingflats, Manager at Island Inn, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Island Inn and for taking the time to leave a review of your experience. I’m so glad you enjoyed your time with us and nothing makes me happier then when a prospective guest does their research and finds that the Inn is exactly as marketed once they arrive. We will sincerely look forward to your call and will be happy to help you choose the accommodation type that best fits your next Island Inn vacation! :-)
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

Our family stayed in the Sandpiper & Seagrape cottage and it was great! We couldn’t ask for better accommodations! The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The complimentary breakfast was good, loved the pastries! We enjoyed going down to the beach in front of the webcam being goofy for our family members & friends to see us; fun times! Apparently the ice machine on the grounds couldn’t keep up with everyone; we could never get enough to even fill the ice bucket so we had to go to the store to buy ice.
Only complaint I can really make is the “sand fleas/no seeums” on the beach; they will eat you alive! Only noticed them in early morning and evening times. We bought spray but it didn’t contain deet because we had children and didn’t want to spray them with a deet product, so it did NO good keeping the pesky things away! Didn’t really notice how many bites we had until we got home and our legs and arms were covered with annoying, itchy bites! So other than the “sand fleas/no seeums” which the Island Inn has no control over, I would say our mini vacation was AWESOME!

Fishingflats, Manager at Island Inn, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Island Inn for your family’s vacation and I’m truly happy you enjoyed your time with us. I apologize concerning the ice machine, as this is being addressed to accommodate capacity usage. The no-see-ums can be a pain, but as you stated, they are worst at dawn and dusk, so knowing this will help prospective guests avoid these little buggers.

Again, thank you for your stay and comments. I hope you can return to the Island Inn and Sanibel Island again soon! :-)
Woodbury, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed at the Island Inn for a week with our two teenage children. Everyone from the front desk to the cleaning staff was professional and extremely friendly and accommodating. We stayed in the Matthews Lodge and it was lovely. Very clean with a great view. We enjoyed the beach, the pool and a wonderful meal at Traditions on our last evening. I would absolutely recommend the Island Inn and wouldn't hesitate to visit again in the future.

1 Thank Jody T
Fishingflats, Manager at Island Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Island Inn and for taking the time to leave a review of your experience. I’m so glad our Inn and restaurant was good fit to your needs and expectations. I hope you can return to the Island Inn and Sanibel Island again soon! :-)