“Low Key Historic Property”
Review of Island Inn

Island Inn
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Sanibel Island
GreenLeadersGold level
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Low Key Historic Property”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

THe Island Inn dates back to 1895, though it has clearly been updated and renovated since its origins. The property sits on the beach and includes various buildings, with cottages and single room units. We stayed in Matthews Lodge, which is quite close to the beach and has gulf views. Our room had a king size bed, a spacious bathroom with a stall shower, a screened in porch facing the beach and the amenities of : small coffee maker, iron and ironing board, small fridge, microwave and safe.
The room was tastefully decorated, with a light beach feel to it. THere was ample storage space in the bathroom vanity and in a big dresser. There was a flat screen TV, with a DVD player beside it. The clock had an i pod dock. Unfortunately the clock did not light up so i couldn't use it to tell time at night.
I was disappointed in the bed linens. THe bottom sheet was skimpy and pulled off the bed and was almost scratchy to the touch.
The air conditioning unit was on the side above the bed, and blew strongly to that side of the bed---not very pleasant for my husband.
Breakfast is included in the room rate. I was forewarned by previous reviews as to the limitations of this buffet---mainly pastries ( freshly baked) with hard boiled eggs, yogurt, cut fruit, juice, coffee and tea. It was odd to have the eggs yet no regular bread to eat them with---croissants were the least sweet bread item.
THe Inn provides beach lounges---which you must drag out to the beach. They rent umbrellas for $8 a day. THey gladly give you extra towels for the beach---but they are bath towels. You can rent; kayaks, paddle boards and bikes by the hour or the day. THere is a volley ball net, two shuffleboard mats and a lovely small in ground pool. The Inn's beach is quite nice and has tons of shells!!!
There is a small coin laundry, a ice machine, a soda machine, free WIFI, free parking and a small library with books, puzzles, a computer and printer.
The restaurant is only open for dinner, and during off season only until 9PM. THere is a bar attached but I am not sure how late it stays open.
The place is very kid friendly. The pool was pretty much monopolized by the children---but their parents were very attentive. There are no lifeguards here---at the pool or at the beach.
ALl of the staff were very friendly and helpful. When the maid saw that we had bought coffee to use in the in room coffee pot, she left us a package of coffee filters.
I didn't give this hotel a higher rating because I expected better quality breakfast, sheets and more meal options at the price we paid per night. I did enjoy my stay and since it was our first time in Sanibel, I don't know how this Inn compares to other similariily priced resorts. It does get an excellant for location and for staff helpfulness~~~~

Room Tip: A cottage might be a very good deal for familes and/or groups of friends since they include full kit...
Green Features: THey did have recycling containers in the rooms and did remind guests about saving their towels.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LPE22
Fishingflats, Manager at Island Inn, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Island Inn and for leaving a review of your experience. I’m so glad you enjoyed your overall time at the Inn. Please allow me to address some of the concerns you expressed within your review so prospective guest’s expectations are realized.

The iPod/iPhone docking alarm clock has a large button on the top of the unit to adjust illumination labeled “dimmer”. Guests are encouraged to contact our front desk staff if they feel an item in their accommodation is not functioning properly, as it is usually something easy to fix, such as this.

I’m surprised the Complimentary light Continental breakfast expectations were not accurate, as you mentioned you had learned of the items available before your stay from previous reviews. To reiterate for prospective guests, our Complimentary light Continental breakfast consists of fresh baked pastries, fresh cut fruit, yogurt assortment, hardboiled eggs, coffee, tea and fresh squeezed juices. These items are also listed on every page of the Island Inn website.

Our restaurant, bar and lounge is open to our guests only for our Complimentary light Continental breakfast and then open to all for dinner beginning at 5 PM Monday through Saturday during off season. See the Island Inn website for detailed operation hours, menus, pricing and all pertinent specifics.

Again, thank you for your stay and review. I hope your travels home to Long Island were safe and you are able to visit Sanibel Island again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Polish first
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We had a wonderful three night stay at the Island Inn. I could not have been more pleased with my choice and believe me I do read TripAdvisor, study the the websites, and talk to front desks before I pick an accommodation. We traveled with another couple and they were also extremely pleased. We had two rooms on the first floor of Kimball Lodge(Gulfview deluxe rooms with screened porches). The beach and pool were great and the open areas between the different accommodations and the roof deck on the second floor of Kimball just gave everyone so much space to enjoy the beautiful property. The rooms are beautiful and the cleaning staff does a great job everyday.

We enjoyed the included continental breakfast in the lovely Traditions restaurant and we had dinner there too one night. Great food, great staff, great views and comfortably upscale yet still casual enough for families and couples to enjoy, even live music. At breakfast you can wear your bathing suit with a cover-up.

We will be back! Cottages, different types of rooms and full kitchen suites, something for everyone...we would like to try them all and will consult with the wonderful people at the front desk to decide what is best for our needs at that time. Three days is just not enough time to enjoy everything at the Island Inn and beautiful Sanibel!!!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carolyn K
Fishingflats, Manager at Island Inn, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Island Inn and for taking the time to leave a review of your experience. I’m so glad you enjoyed your time with us and nothing makes me happier then when a prospective guest does their research and finds that the Inn is exactly as marketed once they arrive. We will sincerely look forward to your call and will be happy to help you choose the accommodation type that best fits your next Island Inn vacation! :-)
Florida
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Our family stayed in the Sandpiper & Seagrape cottage and it was great! We couldn’t ask for better accommodations! The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The complimentary breakfast was good, loved the pastries! We enjoyed going down to the beach in front of the webcam being goofy for our family members & friends to see us; fun times! Apparently the ice machine on the grounds couldn’t keep up with everyone; we could never get enough to even fill the ice bucket so we had to go to the store to buy ice.
Only complaint I can really make is the “sand fleas/no seeums” on the beach; they will eat you alive! Only noticed them in early morning and evening times. We bought spray but it didn’t contain deet because we had children and didn’t want to spray them with a deet product, so it did NO good keeping the pesky things away! Didn’t really notice how many bites we had until we got home and our legs and arms were covered with annoying, itchy bites! So other than the “sand fleas/no seeums” which the Island Inn has no control over, I would say our mini vacation was AWESOME!

Fishingflats, Manager at Island Inn, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Island Inn for your family’s vacation and I’m truly happy you enjoyed your time with us. I apologize concerning the ice machine, as this is being addressed to accommodate capacity usage. The no-see-ums can be a pain, but as you stated, they are worst at dawn and dusk, so knowing this will help prospective guests avoid these little buggers.

Again, thank you for your stay and comments. I hope you can return to the Island Inn and Sanibel Island again soon! :-)
Woodbury, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed at the Island Inn for a week with our two teenage children. Everyone from the front desk to the cleaning staff was professional and extremely friendly and accommodating. We stayed in the Matthews Lodge and it was lovely. Very clean with a great view. We enjoyed the beach, the pool and a wonderful meal at Traditions on our last evening. I would absolutely recommend the Island Inn and wouldn't hesitate to visit again in the future.

1 Thank Jody T
Fishingflats, Manager at Island Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Island Inn and for taking the time to leave a review of your experience. I’m so glad our Inn and restaurant was good fit to your needs and expectations. I hope you can return to the Island Inn and Sanibel Island again soon! :-)
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed June 25, 2013

While the location of the hotel is right on the beach, in the middle of Sanibel, the older building of the hotel, while clean, has seen better days. Our room had also previously ben smoked in; I should have asked to move to another room, but we were only there one night, so I let it go.

The staff are very helpful and cordial, breakfast is okay, and the price, compared to other establishments on the island, is reasonable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Fishingflats, Manager at Island Inn, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Island Inn and for leaving a review of your stay. I’m sorry you felt as though your room had been smoked in. We have a strict No Smoking policy and usually do not have any issues concerning this. However, we urge guests to contact our front desk if they feel their accommodation is not up to standards, as we can usually rectify most situations immediately.

Thank you again for your stay and I hope you are able to return to Sanibel Island in the future.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 21, 2013

A friend who lives on Sanibel suggested we stay at the Island Inn. We arrived late in the evening after the front office had closed, but I made arrangements beforehand for our room key and a map to be placed in a lockbox outside the office. We stayed in a double queen room with a kitchenette on the second floor of the Starkey Lodge. It was perfect with a lovely view of the grounds and the Gulf! I expected the kitchenette to be much smaller than it actually was - it was more like a galley kitchen, just missing a dishwasher & garbage disposal. It had a full-size fridge and stove, a bar area with barstools, as well as a kitchen table with 4 chairs. It was outfitted well enough that we made breakfast in the room every morning before hitting the beach (my husband is lactose-intolerant, so the complementary breakfast really wasn't an option for us). And housekeeping even did the dishes that I rinsed and left in the sink (I intended to wash them in the evening)! Using the hotel's e-concierge, I was able to arrange for one of the local grocery stores to deliver groceries to our room on our arrival date. Super convenient! The room has been renovated sometime recently, so everything was fresh and very clean. The beds were extremely comfortable. The only suggestion I'd make - they need to install a clothesline in the shower or provide a folding drying rack in the closet so guests can hang up wet swimsuits and beach towels.

The staff was extremely friendly, as were the other guests. We were able to rent bikes on property. The pool area was great, and the beach had amazing shells. We'll definitely stay there again and recommend it to our friends & family. The property was struck by lightning during our stay, which knocked out the power, phones, cable, and internet service. But the staff did a great job of keeping everyone informed about what was going on and when everything would be back up and running.

We had a wonderful trip and can't wait to return sometime in the future!

Room Tip: Room 237 in the Starkey Lodge has a great view of the grounds and the Gulf, with windows on 2 sides...
Fishingflats, Manager at Island Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Island Inn and for taking the time to share your feedback. I’m so glad you enjoyed your time at the Inn and our facilities, accommodations, amenities and guest services.

I’m also glad you took advantage of our E-Concierge service, which is exclusive to Island Inn guests. It is a wealth of information and truly the best Sanibel vacation planner I’ve seen.

Our Complimentary light Continental breakfast consists of fresh baked pastries, fresh cut fruit, yogurt assortment, hardboiled eggs, coffee, tea and fresh squeezed juices.

Again, thank you for your patronage and comments. I hope your travels home to CO are safe and you are able to visit the Island Inn again soon! :-)
Greenville, North Carolina
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Beautiful, clean, reasonable property right on the Gulf. Superb service, well kept. Provides the charm of "old" Fla. with all of the conveniences and amenities of today. Gourmet restaurant for evening meals. We went to several sites for shelling and none were any better that the beach right outside our room.

Room Tip: We stayed in Kimball and loved it.
Fishingflats, Manager at Island Inn, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for leaving a review of your experience at the Island Inn and for choosing us as your Sanibel accommodation location. You’re review summarizes what we strive to provide to our guests and I hope you are able to visit the Island Inn again soon! :-)