“Loved our visit to Island Inn”
Review of Island Inn

Island Inn
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Sanibel Island
GreenLeadersGold level
Woodbury, Minnesota, United States
“Loved our visit to Island Inn”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed at the Island Inn for a week with our two teenage children. Everyone from the front desk to the cleaning staff was professional and extremely friendly and accommodating. We stayed in the Matthews Lodge and it was lovely. Very clean with a great view. We enjoyed the beach, the pool and a wonderful meal at Traditions on our last evening. I would absolutely recommend the Island Inn and wouldn't hesitate to visit again in the future.

1 Thank Jody T
Fishingflats, Manager at Island Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Island Inn and for taking the time to leave a review of your experience. I’m so glad our Inn and restaurant was good fit to your needs and expectations. I hope you can return to the Island Inn and Sanibel Island again soon! :-)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Polish first
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed June 25, 2013

While the location of the hotel is right on the beach, in the middle of Sanibel, the older building of the hotel, while clean, has seen better days. Our room had also previously ben smoked in; I should have asked to move to another room, but we were only there one night, so I let it go.

The staff are very helpful and cordial, breakfast is okay, and the price, compared to other establishments on the island, is reasonable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Fishingflats, Manager at Island Inn, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Island Inn and for leaving a review of your stay. I’m sorry you felt as though your room had been smoked in. We have a strict No Smoking policy and usually do not have any issues concerning this. However, we urge guests to contact our front desk if they feel their accommodation is not up to standards, as we can usually rectify most situations immediately.

Thank you again for your stay and I hope you are able to return to Sanibel Island in the future.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 21, 2013

A friend who lives on Sanibel suggested we stay at the Island Inn. We arrived late in the evening after the front office had closed, but I made arrangements beforehand for our room key and a map to be placed in a lockbox outside the office. We stayed in a double queen room with a kitchenette on the second floor of the Starkey Lodge. It was perfect with a lovely view of the grounds and the Gulf! I expected the kitchenette to be much smaller than it actually was - it was more like a galley kitchen, just missing a dishwasher & garbage disposal. It had a full-size fridge and stove, a bar area with barstools, as well as a kitchen table with 4 chairs. It was outfitted well enough that we made breakfast in the room every morning before hitting the beach (my husband is lactose-intolerant, so the complementary breakfast really wasn't an option for us). And housekeeping even did the dishes that I rinsed and left in the sink (I intended to wash them in the evening)! Using the hotel's e-concierge, I was able to arrange for one of the local grocery stores to deliver groceries to our room on our arrival date. Super convenient! The room has been renovated sometime recently, so everything was fresh and very clean. The beds were extremely comfortable. The only suggestion I'd make - they need to install a clothesline in the shower or provide a folding drying rack in the closet so guests can hang up wet swimsuits and beach towels.

The staff was extremely friendly, as were the other guests. We were able to rent bikes on property. The pool area was great, and the beach had amazing shells. We'll definitely stay there again and recommend it to our friends & family. The property was struck by lightning during our stay, which knocked out the power, phones, cable, and internet service. But the staff did a great job of keeping everyone informed about what was going on and when everything would be back up and running.

We had a wonderful trip and can't wait to return sometime in the future!

Room Tip: Room 237 in the Starkey Lodge has a great view of the grounds and the Gulf, with windows on 2 sides...
Fishingflats, Manager at Island Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Island Inn and for taking the time to share your feedback. I’m so glad you enjoyed your time at the Inn and our facilities, accommodations, amenities and guest services.

I’m also glad you took advantage of our E-Concierge service, which is exclusive to Island Inn guests. It is a wealth of information and truly the best Sanibel vacation planner I’ve seen.

Our Complimentary light Continental breakfast consists of fresh baked pastries, fresh cut fruit, yogurt assortment, hardboiled eggs, coffee, tea and fresh squeezed juices.

Again, thank you for your patronage and comments. I hope your travels home to CO are safe and you are able to visit the Island Inn again soon! :-)
Greenville, North Carolina
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Beautiful, clean, reasonable property right on the Gulf. Superb service, well kept. Provides the charm of "old" Fla. with all of the conveniences and amenities of today. Gourmet restaurant for evening meals. We went to several sites for shelling and none were any better that the beach right outside our room.

Room Tip: We stayed in Kimball and loved it.
Fishingflats, Manager at Island Inn, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for leaving a review of your experience at the Island Inn and for choosing us as your Sanibel accommodation location. You’re review summarizes what we strive to provide to our guests and I hope you are able to visit the Island Inn again soon! :-)
Cedar Falls, Iowa, United States
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We really liked the set up at the inn. We stayed in the second floor of Kimball which gives you a mini kitchen and a screened in balcony from which you can see a bit of Gulf at an angle. The suite is a decent size for two people. We noticed people with kids in the other suites. Once you fold out the sofa bed, there is no open space left except on the balcony. There is no separate closet or space for beach stuff. So space could get interesting in a suite with kids, I think.

We stayed for five nights. During 4 of those night our AC squeaked and squealed making sleep problematic even with earplugs. Management did not have good follow through. They did nothing after our first complaint because they did not hear it and didn't bother to tell us. The next day we badgered them multiple times and they said they would have a professional look at it, they didn't. The next day professionals finally came, thought they fixed it, but they didn't. I wanted to go home just to get sleep. They refunded us 2 nights but the noise and dinking around trying to get it fixed spoiled the stay. They could not move us to another room because the place was fully booked. If we did not have an airline reservations, I would have been tempted to leave.

The breakfast was exactly the same all five days. It was fine. We avoided their restaurant because I did not feel like experiencing old time ballads from the past. There are numerous interesting restaurants in the area, not within walking distance.

Room Tip: Some cottages do not have a decent view of the gulf.
Green Features: There was a recycling container in the kitchen. They replaced the towels even though we hung them up. The other practices were not that obvious.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Patrick A
Fishingflats, Manager at Island Inn, responded to this review, June 19, 2013

I remember your stay clearly and I’m very sorry for the maintenance issues you experienced. We did address this immediately once notified and every day of your stay… we were as frustrated as you that we could not immediately rectify the issue. I do not recall having to be badgered multiple times, as we take guest satisfaction very seriously. Regardless, I’m sorry you felt as if we did not address your concerns.

As for your room tip, I urge prospective guests to look at the Island Inn’s website for an accurate description and pictures. The only cottage that does not have a view of the Gulf is our 3 bedroom Beach House.

As you stated upon check out, I’m glad you had an enjoyable stay besides the maintenance issue and that we were able to finally rectify the situation. I hope your travels home to Iowa were safe and you are able to return to Sanibel Island again in the future.
duluth,mn
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Very nice. Clean. Historic. Right on the beach. Very nice people working there. Shells galore. Pricey for the amenities.Nice free breakfast. Desk not open later in the evening. Relaxing spot.
Sanibel is a wonderful destination and there is much to do within a short drive/walk. I would go again but would try to find a time when the prices were more competitive.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Fishingflats, Manager at Island Inn, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Island Inn and for taking the time to leave a review. I’m glad you enjoyed your time on Sanibel Island and that you were able to find some shell treasures during your stay.

As for your comment concerning a time of the year when prices are lower, our lowest pricing seasons for 2013 run from early September to early October and between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Again, thank you for your patronage and comments. I hope you are able to visit the Island Inn and Sanibel Island again soon! :-)
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We were looking for a beach vacation spot to relax after hitting the theme parks in Orlando. We have only good things to say about the Island Inn! The room was large compared to our Disney Hotel and had a fantastic screened porch overlooking the water. Our room was exceptionally clean. The beach was perfect! We spent our evenings shelling and watching dolphins feed near the shore. Our kids never wanted to leave the grounds and were exhausted every night! Thank you Island Inn... We will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2013
Fishingflats, Manager at Island Inn, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Island Inn for your decompression after your trip to the theme parks in Orlando. Astonishingly, we hear from many of our guests that their children enjoyed their time on Sanibel’s beaches more than they did at Disney! I’m so glad your family had a pleasant stay at the Island Inn and we’ll look forward to your return. :-)