“A friendly low key vacation”
Review of Island Inn

Island Inn
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Sanibel Island
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 30, 2013

The Island Inn is fairly large, lots of rooms and a few cottages, but it was also very peaceful. I kept wondering where all the people were. I loved sitting on our screened in balcony looking out at the ocean. The room was very comfortable, the mattress anesthetic! I have never slept so well. Their long beach front was wonderful and walking the beach an incredible pleasure. I developed the Sanibel stoop as I picked up all kinds of shells. There were two lounges with books, puzzles, and games as well as several shuffleboard courts. The pool is small, but I never saw more than 7 people in it. Continental breakfast which is included was skimpy. The exact same food every day, no toast or other non sweet bread stuff, and no cereal. If you go, bring your own cereal, especially if you have children. You would not want them eating donuts or pastry every day.

Room Tip: Don't stay at Kimball Lodge, I want it for me!
3  Thank LNS72
Fishingflats, Manager at Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

The Inn’s peaceful, relaxing atmosphere can be credited to it having the lowest density on Sanibel. We have 10 Gulf front acres and 550 feet of beach, but only 49 total accommodations. This means there is space at the pool and on the beach year round!

Our Complimentary light Continental breakfast, which no other hotel on Sanibel offers, consists of fresh baked pastries, fresh cut fruit, hardboiled eggs, yogurt selection, coffee, tea and fresh squeezed juices. These items are listed on every page of the Inn’s website and numerous times on this site, to ensure guest’s expectations are accurate. Everyone of our accommodations has a microwave, refrigerator and coffee maker and many have full kitchens, so guests can certainly bring their own breakfast items or visit one of the many Sanibel eateries that cater to a full breakfast.

Again, thank you for your feedback and patronage. I hope your travels home to MA were safe and you are able to visit the Island Inn again soon! :-)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,394)

Reviewed March 21, 2013

We arrive kind of late afternoon and checked in. Very friendly front desk and very organized. WE had a room in the Kimball Lodge over looking the beach on the first floor, but when we walked in down the corridor first thing you notice a funny smell of old carpet mixed with some kind of powder to conceal it... like grandma's house... not too appropriated for a pricey resort.
The room was very clean and roomy. Bathroom little small.
We decided to go shelling that evening and walk on the beach, we walk down the corridor to a common room that had chairs, tables and couches that remind me "Golden Girls" tv serial décor. completely passé, such a huge space spared like that. There were books, board games and puzzles but it wasn't inviting to seat there at all... creepy I will say!
Since there is not much nite life we decide to get back into the hotel and watch a movie online... sure ! Wi fi was so sketchy that we got too frustrated, and had to abandon our idea... boring!
A hotel of this price and bad wifi? please !

Room Tip: First floor facing the ocean!
4  Thank Carla J
Fishingflats, Manager at Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Thank you for staying at the Island Inn and for leaving a review of your experience. I’m glad you enjoyed your room, but sorry you did not enjoy your surroundings.

The carpet in our Kimball Lodge hallway is 2 years old, but during this time of year receives a heavy dose of sandy, salty traffic. We do have it professionally cleaned regularly.

As for the common space at the end of the Kimball Lodge, we hope to have this room's furnishings updated next September. Different strokes for different folks, but many people enjoy the old Florida feel, books, puzzles and viewing the display cases of wonderful seashells.

If looking for nightlife, many of our guests come to our very own Traditions on the Beach restaurant, bar and lounge, where there is live music and dancing every night! Regardless, I’m sorry you had issues with our Complimentary Wi-Fi… usually this can be solved by contacting our helpful front desk staff.

Again, thank you for your stay and comments. I hope your travels home to Texas were safe and you are able to visit Sanibel Island again soon.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Service at the Island Inn was wonderful! We had a room in the Kimball lodge, first floor overlooking the gulf. Very private, but just a quick stroll to the beach.
It would have been nice to have a few more choices for the complementary breakfast, but overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Karenhoneybrook
Fishingflats, Manager at Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Thank you for your stay at the Island Inn and for taking the time to leave a review of your experience.

I’m so glad you enjoyed our hospitality, your accommodations and your overall time on Sanibel Island. Our Complimentary light Continental breakfast, which no other hotel on Sanibel offers, consists of fresh baked pastries, fresh cut fruit, yogurt selection, hardboiled eggs, coffee, tea and fresh squeezed juices.

Again, thank you for your patronage and comments. I hope you can find the time to return to the Island Inn and Sanibel Island again soon. :-)

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We only stayed 1 night....but I thought it was the best night of our 7 day trip to the area. Very friendly staff, our room was near the back of Kimball Lodge, but we had an unobstructed view of the beach and had the patio door open all night to hear the waves crashing on the beach. The room was very cute, nice and clean, comfy beds, a nice bathroom which was recently renovated, very good shower. It was very quiet on the property, not many people around, so it was perfect.

It was wonderful to stay right on the beach and take long walks. The pool is tiny, and luckily no one else was using it. The property is very nicely maintained. The location is also quite nice, the beach wasn't too busy. Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate, it was mostly overcast the 2 days on Sanibel so we didn't experience the sunset. Even after we checked out they made us feel welcome to stay on the property.

Also, bad luck for us, was the "red tide" problem the area has been having, lots of dead fish floating in the water and washing up on the beach, but it wasn't too bad here at the beach at the Island Inn. It didn't get in the way of enjoying our time at the Island Inn and I would love to return!! The sea shells on the beach are amazing!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Fishingflats, Manager at Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Thank you for choosing the Island Inn for your 1 night on Sanibel Island. I’m sorry you only had a brief stay with us, but I’m so happy you enjoyed your time at the Inn.

I’m glad you enjoyed the quiet and peaceful nature of our property. Having only 49 total accommodations on 10 Gulf front acres means our extreme low density ensures a relaxing stay, room at our heated pool and privacy on our 550 feet of pristine beach.

I’m sorry you were affected by the red tide, but fortunately all remnants have been cleared out of our area from quite some time now, leaving only the beautiful seashells on our beach.

Again, thank you for your stay and comments. I hope your travels home to Toronto were safe and you are able to visit the Island Inn on Sanibel Island again soon! :-)

Reviewed March 16, 2013

My fiance and I spent a week in March at the Island Inn. It is a beautiful place, the sunset from the Inn are amazing. The staff was very friendly and helpful, we even recruited one of the staff to be our photographer one afternoon. Cant wait to go back next year!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Fishingflats, Manager at Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Thank you for choosing the Island Inn for your romantic Sanibel getaway. We’re so glad you enjoyed your time at the Inn and were able to capture such a lovely picture of our Sanibel Island sunsets. We will be ready and willing to act as your personal photographer upon your return trip next year! :-)

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I just spent five days on vacation here and had a very relaxing time. I stayed in a Gulf View room at Matthews Lodge which came as advertised. There was a wonderful screened-in porch with a view of the property and Gulf. My room had a comfortable sleeping area and a fully equipped kitchen that served my needs. There were also charcoal grills on the property as well as a smallish heated . The beach was a short walk away with lounge chairs and towels available. All of the staff I encountered were professional and friendly. Bikes, kayaks, and paddle boards were available for rental. Close to Ding Darling. I can't wait to return next year.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Maureen H

Thank you for staying at the Island Inn and for taking the time to share your experience. It sounds like our Gulfview Kitchen in Matthews Lodge (2 double beds, full kitchen, screened porch) was a perfect accommodation for your needs and expectations. I’m also glad you enjoyed the amenities offered by the Inn and you were able to make a trip to the world-renowned JN Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge.

Again, thank you for your stay and comments. I hope your travels home to MA were safe and we will be anticipating your next arrival. :-)

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Excellent facility, nice old charm. Friendly helpful staff, great sunset views. Only thing I'd change is waiter "George" at Traditions, the restaurant on site, he was awful. Food was great though! Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you for staying at the Island Inn and I’m so glad you enjoyed your Sanibel Island experience. I’m sorry your experience with your waiter at Traditions on the Beach was negative and I will be sure to pass this onto restaurant ownership. I’m glad to hear you plan to return, as we will be happy to see you back at the Island Inn. :-)