“Lots of Potential but Disappointing.”

Pointe Santo de Sanibel
Reviewed September 24, 2006

I booked this condo as a result of the generally positive reviews on Tripadvisor. I took the advice of several travelers and booked through VRBO dot com. Not only was I able to book for a partial week instead of the normal Fri-Fri requirement, I definetely saved a lot of cash!

I, my wife, my newborn and my mother stayed in unit E25, which is a 2 bedroom condo. Unit E is right on the water so the views were great! The owner was very accomodating when I called her and she directed me to Royal Shells, which charges a $35 booking fee (no biggie). Check-in is very easy when you get on the island. The Royal Shell office is on the way to Pointe Santo so there was no time lost in checking in -- it was very quick and they were helpful in providing brochures and suggestions for activities.

The unit itself is a little odd; the bathroom and guest bedroom appear to be fully updated but everywhere else appears dated, especially the patio furniture. The carpet is very old and needs replacing but the condo was certainly spacious and adequate. The complex itself is dated with that brown 80's decor but it is well maintained and landscaped.

I did not like that there is nowhere on the premises to get food. If you don't feel like cooking, you have to head to town which is a bit of a turn-off when you are on vacation. The pool is also failry small -- maybe only 50% bigger than your average pool at home.

Ok -- Sanibel/Captiva is NOT a place for a beach vacation in September/October. Apparently, the place suffers from Red Tide, which produces a reddish seaweed, kills fish and leaves them on the beach and renders the Gulf unswimmable. We were lucky that some nice folks on the beach told us about it before we went in to take a quick dip! The beach smells like fish because, of course, there are so many dead ones. Therefore, this is strictly a pool vacation and that is not great.

There is a pond in the middle of the property that boasts fish, birds, turtles and alligators! My wife was scared almost to death as she was taking a stroll with our baby in the stroller and almost stumbled upon an alligator on the grass leading to the beach (luckily, she was warned by a guest taking pictures). After that little adventure, we went back to the condo and sat on the porch overlooking the beach. What did we say but a 2nd alligator walking from the pond to the Gulf! An unsuspecting jogger almost ran right into the animal but for the screams of the guests. This is all cool to me but be forewarned if you are, like my wife, scared of animals that can eat you.

As for eateries, we ate at the Island Cow for lunch one day and that was very good. We also ate at the Bubble Room in Captiva and that was very bad. The food was bad and they have the nerve to charge $1.75 per soda with no free refills!! That's ridiculous. I can buy a 2 liter soda for less than that. The food is not good; stay away.

The island is very beautiful. We went to the Shell museum and the Wildlife Refuge, both of which were interesting. we also took the dolphin excursion on the Captiva Cruises ship. The dolphin boat from Everglades City was much better -- we only ran into about 4 dolphins this trip and they did not stay with the boat for long.

The beaches at Captiva looked tremendously clear and blue but, again, you can't swim in it so what's the point?

Overall, Pointe Santo is ok for a family; I think it's hit/miss with the rooms as you can't really tell how dated the place may be from the pictures. The pool is too small and you can't swim in the Gulf during certain months so please check the Red Tide forecast before you book the trip. There are also really no amenities so make sure you stock your kitchen with everything you need; there is a nicely stocked supermarket around the corner. I may go back to Sanibel/Captiva but Pointe Santo did not make me a lifetime devotee.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
12  Thank AlphaMan
E25, owner at Pointe Santo de Sanibel, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2006

As the owner of E25 I welcome the opportunity to respond. Since the purpose of traveller's ratings is to rate the property, it is unfortunate that much of the criticisms cited refer not to Pointe Santo or my unit but rather aspects of Sanibel itself.

With respect to red tide, this is a phenomenon that can affect anywhere along the Gulf Coast of Florida, not just Sanibel. It is very sporadic and usually not long lasting. The gulf is almost always swimmable and is not off-limits for "certain months" as the reviewer states. Of course bad timing can ruin a vacation in many ways anywhere (i.e. bad weather) but this should not be overstated in a review.

Similarly, alligators are a fact of life throughout all of Florida and the Gulf Coast states. Their occasional presence at Pointe Santo has never been a problem and if any aggressive behavior was observed, they would be removed by local officials.

It should be noted that there are dozens of fine restaurants and grocery stores within a five minute drive (or ten minute bike ride), so going to town is not a big trip.

As far as my unit is concerned, I am of course interested in guest feedback. Due to a personal injury, I have not been down yet this year; however our patio furniture was replaced one year ago; the carpet is three years old. I take great pride in my unit and almost always get very favorable reviews and a high degree of repeat visitors so I am not sure about what this reviewer found objectionable. It is possible that since Fall is the slow period just after the busy season that the unit was ready for it's annual "deep clean" when all carpets and drapes are shampooed. This is usually scheduled in September/October in preparation for the upcoming high season. But otherwise, the unit is cleaned regularly and updated frequently. In any event I will be visiting soon and make sure that all is up to my standards.

Reviewed September 21, 2006

Clean, ground floor 2 bedroom condo, seconds from the beach and pool, convient and great for kids, lots of biking, sunning, shelling, crafting, swimming...not crowded and just an amazing trip. My husband hates Florida, but LOVED Sanibel. We will spend a lot more time there.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank Kataronie
Reviewed September 7, 2006

We returned to this great beachfront resort once again. This time we stayed in the 3 bedroom beachfront condominium (A-44)with the penthouse. It was outrageous!. The view was fabulous. The furnishings were more than we could have ever expected. We love this place. It is awesome. Last year we stayed at A-36, a 2 bedroom beachfront unit. It was very nice ,too. This year, we returned with 12 family members at 3 different units. You have to try this place. The beach, the pool, & the location makes it all worth it.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank Linleedo
sara434, Management at Pointe Santo de Sanibel, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2008

Premier Properties is very pleased to hear that our condominium A-44 was found to be so superb for our guests. We make every effort to update and maintain our condominiums to the highest of standards. We strive to be the best in accommodations and service and feel that reviews such as this one confirm that we are achieving our goals.

Reviewed August 17, 2006

We booked our stay through VRBO. We stayed in unit #C5 which is a 3-bedroom, 2-bath, ground-level unit. Great view of the lagoon and you can also see the ocean from the unit. We were very impressed with both the condo unit and the property. There were a couple of minor problems with our unit, but nothing major - minor problems are to be expected with condos. Our condo was at the rear of the property and was just a 2-minute walk to the beach. We would definitely stay here again. We were here in August 2006 so it was way past the end of the high season so things were very crowded. There were maybe two or three other families on the beach with us. Yes, it was very hot, but there was a constant breeze, so it was very bearable.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank plcitv

#19 of 20 in Sanibel Island
West Wind Inn
West Wind Inn
#5 of 20 in Sanibel Island

Been to Pointe Santo de Sanibel? Share your experiences!