“Great condo- E36”

Pointe Santo de Sanibel
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We have just returned from a week in unit E-36 at Pointe Santo de Sanibel, on Sanibel Island. We had not been to Sanibel before but had heard wonderful things about how laid back the island is and without the hassle associated with other far off islands that are hard to get to as Sanibel it is just 45 minutes from the Fort Myers Airport.

What we were not expecting was the ideal location of the unit we stayed in and how well appointed the condo was for our group of 4. The decor is tasteful and very comfortable with nice linens ( I am a sheet snob and hoped we would not be met with rough and scratchy sheets and we were not.) The patio is private with your own unrestricted view of the beautiful gulf right outside your window. The master bedroom and 2nd bedroom ( each with their own bathroom) are separated enough so the privacy of a nap or sleeping in late could easily be accomplished without disturbing the other guests in the unit.

We rented chairs at Billy's as many had suggested but found the owners had chairs waiting on the deck along with a closet full of water toys/beach umbrella which we added a few to the collection as we left. If you are lucky enough to rent this unit, do not make the same mistake we did and buy a wine opener or other kitchen items as you will find it is well stocked down to darling white coffee mugs with seashells on them to enjoy your morning coffee as you watch the beautiful waves roll against the beach. We were right off the elevator for hauling groceries and other items but also had a stairway for running up and down quickly as we made our way to the beach.

We did elect to use the cleaning service daily ( you need to make this arrangement ahead of time with the cleaning service directly) just to keep things as nice each day as when we arrived and this additional amount was a bargain. Other surprises included the fact that each unit has a reserved parking space and the one for E36 was the second space in from the entrance so it was very convenient. We received a suggestion from the owner recommending we should stop in Fort Myers for groceries on our way in and this was an excellent idea as it was more reasonable than the higher prices on the island. There are two Publix grocery stores on the way and we stocked up and didn't need to make one run to the island store the week we were there (suggested items in addition to food- T.P.Mr. Coffee filters, extra paper towels, napkins, HE laundry detergent- we were spoiled with the washer and dryer and it allowed us to have fresh beach towels every day) .

You can tell the owners have taken great pride in their condo as you will see a darling sign in the kitchen to their guests that reads-'may you always have a shell in your pocket and sand in your shoes'. Overall- we will return and rent from the owners- Anne and Al and encourage you to do the same.

Room Tip: Building E seems to be the best unit by far- Building A is also beach front and appears just as nice...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank susanhuppert

Reviewed August 1, 2012

I have stayed at Pointe Santo de Sanibel the last three times I have been to Sanibel. The location is great...mid island and close to shopping and restaurants. The facilities here are awesome. There is a small pool with a clubhouse in the lagoon. The clubhouse provides awesome kids programs like crafts, movie nights and ice cream sundaes. The beach here is great and there are beach chairs set up on the beach. The complex is a little dated, but it is very well kept. There are two hard court tennis court on site as well. Would be great if there was another pool, or the main pool was bigger. The complex also has free wifi for everyone.

Room Tip: Building C faces the ocean.
1  Thank Poppy01_11
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We are repeat Pointe Santo C-27 visitors. The complex is beautiful; the beach is marvelous; the grounds are extraordinary. Unit C-27 is beautifully decorated, has upscale appliances, granite countertops everywhere, large flat-screen T.V.s in every room, lovely furniture, and an amazing view from the lanai. This is our "go-to" family vacation spot and we've never been disappointed.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MarinMac
Reviewed July 21, 2012

My sister and I just returned from spending a week at Pointe Santo de Sanibel condos. It was absolutely amazing. We stayed in D27. The decor was wonderful. Clean and great location. If you are planning a trip, I would suggest you look into Pointe Santo de Sanibel. The beaches are extremely clean. Great for couples and familes.

1  Thank HawgFan61
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I have stayed at Point Santo 4 other times. My family started going there when I was a younger and my now wife and I wanted to go their for our honeymoon. Point Santo was an easy choice as a condo. There is a beach view from almost ever room, adult swim in the morning and evening that's nice and relaxing, and the provided amenities are great and well taken care of. There are lounge chairs provided at both the pool and on the Gulf which are great to go relax in and has some in nice shaded spots if you don't want to cook all day.

My wife and I enjoyed the week being able to relax and had a wonderful time on the island. I wish the quality the complex was reflected in our unit. B 26 was horrible. The door lock was the first problem that greets you. It should have been replaced years ago and I honestly spent 15 minutes over the week just trying to lock and unlock it. You have to put the key in and then jiggle and pull it out just right in order to get the door to lock or unlock. The kitchen it well under-equpied and the Teflon on the pots and pans is peeling off. The faucet in the sink needs to be replaced and the rope lights that are supposed to provide up-lighting in the kitchen were burned out. There was holes in the ceiling were the paint was peeling off and in the master bathroom there is actually bare drywall above the shower (that's mold waiting to happen). The master bath also had wallpaper that was peeling off the walls and the faucet is corroding. The carpet needed to be replaced and the furniture has stains on it. My wife looked at the comforter in the master bedroom, which was also stained, and pulled it off the bed because it looked to disgusting to sleep under. We didn't use the second bedroom, but when we went in there was a big black spot in front of the closet (I don't know if it was mold or dirt and didn't get close enough ti find out). The second bathroom didn't even have non-slip stick-ons in the whole tub (definitely not kid friendly) and the towel holder was coming out of the wall. The TVs were both the old tube type and you can't watch the one in the living room without closing the blinds because of the glare off the curved screen.

The comment book left on the coffee table had some scathing comment from just this past year about mold in the unit. One major complaint that was mentioned over and over was no pull chains on the fans (I could reach them but my wife could not so I could see the need). I believe the most accurate comment was that the unit needed "a good scrubbing down." I would have to agree after the week that I spent there.

The decor in B 26 is also a taste of its own. It tries to have a jungle them, but there items with Chinese writing on it. The decor it unique and conflicting; it could definitely use a makeover.

I really didn't want our honeymoon to be about getting a condo fixed (I've fixed up a house and that's not what I wanted to watch on my honeymoon) so I sent in the survey with what's listed above, but I didn't call and want it all fixed.

My family has always used VIP Rentals and my wife and I found unit B 26 through Royal Shell. I don't know if this is the quality of condos with Royal Shell, but I would hope not. The sink backed up one of the first few days and Royal Shell was out quickly to take care of it so I wouldn't fault them for the poor quality of this condo.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Jacob S
RoyalShell, Manager at Pointe Santo de Sanibel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2012

After reading this post, a team of six managers from Royal Shell went over as a group to this unit to inspect each and every issue. We have not had negative reviews in the past regarding this unit and were somewhat surprised that this guest felt so strongly about the condition of the accommodations. While we understand the guest did not want to be bothered during their stay we would have preferred they would have brought their concerns to us so we could rectify what was necessary for them to enjoy their stay. Unfortunately in this case we were only alerted to any deficiencies after his stay and most of these issue could have been corrected quickly while they were enjoying the pool or beach. To describe this condo as “horrible” is completely inaccurate. While we strive to keep every aspect of our properties in good and clean working order, we cannot remodel after each guest. Every item has a life span and at some point is due to be replaced or repaired.

We started at the door, which was described as needing replacement years ago. Other than not having a new appearance as would be expected in tropical conditions, the lock and key worked just fine and ascetically are more then acceptable.

The Teflon pots could have been replaced and would have been sooner if the guest had requested. The main kitchen lighting was in good working order; however the accent rope lighting was inoperative and hidden by decorative trim. In this instance it appears that the guest exposed the rope lighting from the tray ceiling specifically for the photo.

There was a paint bubble in the master bath caused by moisture from shower steam, but it was not a hole and has since been repaired very easily. The peeling paint in the dining room was the size of a nickel and was located where the stress joint is. The paint sometimes peels due to the change in moisture causing the materials to contract.

There were no signs of wallpaper peeling off the walls in the living areas at all. The wallpaper shown in the photo is in a utility closet that houses the hot water heater.

All faucets in the condo are in perfect working order and are not in need of replacing.

The carpet is in good condition and does not need replacing as suggested in the rating. It does need some restretching in the master bath entry which again can easily be repaired. The second bedroom was also found to be in very good condition and the black spot on the carpet was from the bottom of the closet door which is metal and left a graphite spot on the carpet from the closet track which cleaned up quickly. The towel bar in the guest bedroom is mounted securely, but does show some pulling around the mounting screw where it has been possibly used as a grab bar, however it is securely mounted.

The bathtub is missing some of the after-market non-skid material and that will be replaced, however it is not a requirement.

The TVs were in perfect working order and accurately depicted on the website and in the unit photos.

The comment book was actually filled with all positive comments dating back to 2006 with the exception of one that this guest singled out. In fact, the guest who occupied the unit prior to this renter wrote in the guest book. “We had lots of Fun! My 4 year old LOVED the pool. Very lovely décor! Hope to be back next year!”

The condo theme is the choice of the property owner and a mixture of themes, but tastefully presented. Our terms and conditions clearly state, “All rental properties are individually owned and decorated. Items such as furnishings, appliances, equipment, style, quality, colors, etc. are provided solely by the owner.”

All in all, it was our finding this review was inaccurate and focused certain ascetic elements of the condo that can occur in any rental unit during a busy season. While we did not replace working items that still have useful life we have since corrected all of the minor issues that needed attention.

We took photos of our findings and are currently working with TripAdvisor to have them posted with our response.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

We had planned this vacation for 7 months and were not dissapointed. The owner Jacklyn and the management company Royal Shell were great to work with. The condo has granite countertops, stainless appliances, upscale furniture and a direct ocean front view to die for. Everything was provided like beach towels, beach chairs and umbrellas, a bucket for shelling and a shell book was on the bookshelf to help identify the shells you had found.
We loved it and plan to return. The only downer was the vacumn had no suction and the beds were a little lumpy....but it was paradise!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank xrtclarke
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I have stayed in many condos on the beach but this was by far my favorite! The grounds are extremely well kept with friendly and helpful employees. The security guards were great at introducing themselves and making sure we knew how to contact them if needed. This is a great place to stay for families as there are planned activities throughout the day and the beach and pool are all very will visible. I hope to return next year... the easy going atmosphere, beautiful beach and those staying there really made me feel relaxed and ready to enjoy my vacation!

Room Tip: The ground floor units have direct access to the pathways that lead to the beach. Those on the uppe...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanibel Island
#18 of 19 in Sanibel Island
West Wind Inn
West Wind Inn
#5 of 19 in Sanibel Island

Been to Pointe Santo de Sanibel? Share your experiences!