Message from TripAdvisor:

“Great Complex Horrible Unit”

and 1 more site!
Pointe Santo de Sanibel
Florida
“Great Complex Horrible Unit”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

I have stayed at Point Santo 4 other times. My family started going there when I was a younger and my now wife and I wanted to go their for our honeymoon. Point Santo was an easy choice as a condo. There is a beach view from almost ever room, adult swim in the morning and evening that's nice and relaxing, and the provided amenities are great and well taken care of. There are lounge chairs provided at both the pool and on the Gulf which are great to go relax in and has some in nice shaded spots if you don't want to cook all day.

My wife and I enjoyed the week being able to relax and had a wonderful time on the island. I wish the quality the complex was reflected in our unit. B 26 was horrible. The door lock was the first problem that greets you. It should have been replaced years ago and I honestly spent 15 minutes over the week just trying to lock and unlock it. You have to put the key in and then jiggle and pull it out just right in order to get the door to lock or unlock. The kitchen it well under-equpied and the Teflon on the pots and pans is peeling off. The faucet in the sink needs to be replaced and the rope lights that are supposed to provide up-lighting in the kitchen were burned out. There was holes in the ceiling were the paint was peeling off and in the master bathroom there is actually bare drywall above the shower (that's mold waiting to happen). The master bath also had wallpaper that was peeling off the walls and the faucet is corroding. The carpet needed to be replaced and the furniture has stains on it. My wife looked at the comforter in the master bedroom, which was also stained, and pulled it off the bed because it looked to disgusting to sleep under. We didn't use the second bedroom, but when we went in there was a big black spot in front of the closet (I don't know if it was mold or dirt and didn't get close enough ti find out). The second bathroom didn't even have non-slip stick-ons in the whole tub (definitely not kid friendly) and the towel holder was coming out of the wall. The TVs were both the old tube type and you can't watch the one in the living room without closing the blinds because of the glare off the curved screen.

The comment book left on the coffee table had some scathing comment from just this past year about mold in the unit. One major complaint that was mentioned over and over was no pull chains on the fans (I could reach them but my wife could not so I could see the need). I believe the most accurate comment was that the unit needed "a good scrubbing down." I would have to agree after the week that I spent there.

The decor in B 26 is also a taste of its own. It tries to have a jungle them, but there items with Chinese writing on it. The decor it unique and conflicting; it could definitely use a makeover.

I really didn't want our honeymoon to be about getting a condo fixed (I've fixed up a house and that's not what I wanted to watch on my honeymoon) so I sent in the survey with what's listed above, but I didn't call and want it all fixed.

My family has always used VIP Rentals and my wife and I found unit B 26 through Royal Shell. I don't know if this is the quality of condos with Royal Shell, but I would hope not. The sink backed up one of the first few days and Royal Shell was out quickly to take care of it so I wouldn't fault them for the poor quality of this condo.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Jacob S
RoyalShell, Manager at Pointe Santo de Sanibel, responded to this review, July 22, 2012
After reading this post, a team of six managers from Royal Shell went over as a group to this unit to inspect each and every issue. We have not had negative reviews in the past regarding this unit and were somewhat surprised that this guest felt so strongly about the condition of the accommodations. While we understand the guest did not want to be bothered during their stay we would have preferred they would have brought their concerns to us so we could rectify what was necessary for them to enjoy their stay. Unfortunately in this case we were only alerted to any deficiencies after his stay and most of these issue could have been corrected quickly while they were enjoying the pool or beach. To describe this condo as “horrible” is completely inaccurate. While we strive to keep every aspect of our properties in good and clean working order, we cannot remodel after each guest. Every item has a life span and at some point is due to be replaced or repaired.

We started at the door, which was described as needing replacement years ago. Other than not having a new appearance as would be expected in tropical conditions, the lock and key worked just fine and ascetically are more then acceptable.

The Teflon pots could have been replaced and would have been sooner if the guest had requested. The main kitchen lighting was in good working order; however the accent rope lighting was inoperative and hidden by decorative trim. In this instance it appears that the guest exposed the rope lighting from the tray ceiling specifically for the photo.

There was a paint bubble in the master bath caused by moisture from shower steam, but it was not a hole and has since been repaired very easily. The peeling paint in the dining room was the size of a nickel and was located where the stress joint is. The paint sometimes peels due to the change in moisture causing the materials to contract.

There were no signs of wallpaper peeling off the walls in the living areas at all. The wallpaper shown in the photo is in a utility closet that houses the hot water heater.

All faucets in the condo are in perfect working order and are not in need of replacing.

The carpet is in good condition and does not need replacing as suggested in the rating. It does need some restretching in the master bath entry which again can easily be repaired. The second bedroom was also found to be in very good condition and the black spot on the carpet was from the bottom of the closet door which is metal and left a graphite spot on the carpet from the closet track which cleaned up quickly. The towel bar in the guest bedroom is mounted securely, but does show some pulling around the mounting screw where it has been possibly used as a grab bar, however it is securely mounted.

The bathtub is missing some of the after-market non-skid material and that will be replaced, however it is not a requirement.

The TVs were in perfect working order and accurately depicted on the website and in the unit photos.

The comment book was actually filled with all positive comments dating back to 2006 with the exception of one that this guest singled out. In fact, the guest who occupied the unit prior to this renter wrote in the guest book. “We had lots of Fun! My 4 year old LOVED the pool. Very lovely décor! Hope to be back next year!”

The condo theme is the choice of the property owner and a mixture of themes, but tastefully presented. Our terms and conditions clearly state, “All rental properties are individually owned and decorated. Items such as furnishings, appliances, equipment, style, quality, colors, etc. are provided solely by the owner.”

All in all, it was our finding this review was inaccurate and focused certain ascetic elements of the condo that can occur in any rental unit during a busy season. While we did not replace working items that still have useful life we have since corrected all of the minor issues that needed attention.

We took photos of our findings and are currently working with TripAdvisor to have them posted with our response.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Springdale, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

We had planned this vacation for 7 months and were not dissapointed. The owner Jacklyn and the management company Royal Shell were great to work with. The condo has granite countertops, stainless appliances, upscale furniture and a direct ocean front view to die for. Everything was provided like beach towels, beach chairs and umbrellas, a bucket for shelling and a shell book was on the bookshelf to help identify the shells you had found.
We loved it and plan to return. The only downer was the vacumn had no suction and the beds were a little lumpy....but it was paradise!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank xrtclarke
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

I have stayed in many condos on the beach but this was by far my favorite! The grounds are extremely well kept with friendly and helpful employees. The security guards were great at introducing themselves and making sure we knew how to contact them if needed. This is a great place to stay for families as there are planned activities throughout the day and the beach and pool are all very will visible. I hope to return next year... the easy going atmosphere, beautiful beach and those staying there really made me feel relaxed and ready to enjoy my vacation!

Room Tip: The ground floor units have direct access to the pathways that lead to the beach. Those on the uppe...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Just came back from our first trip to Sanibel Island and Pointe Santo and LOVED it! We rented our condo thru VRBO and had a ground floor unit. Since we were traveling with our 3 year old we thought we would like the convenience of being able to enter and exit straight thru our patio. If you are traveling with small children, this definitely made things easier so I would recommend. I had contemplated renting a penthouse unit with the roof top patio. Some friends of ours did and I ultimately was glad I didn't as I would have been too nervous to have my son up there. I really can't say enough good things about this property. They have security on the grounds at all times. Thankfully so, as my husband and daughter got locked out of our unit and security was able to let them back in! The pool is very warm! My husband said almost too warm. I,however, say boo! I never swim in pools when we go places because they are always too cold for me. It was great finally being able to swim in a pool where the water temperatures were enjoyable for me. The kids club is great! Although my son didn't go (he is 3), some friends of ours kids went and they had a blast! They were able to make a shadow box and some other crafts that were really nice! If your kids are old enough, you should definitely make sure they are able to participate in the crafts! Additionally, our friends loved the kids club staff as well!

The location of Pointe Santo was great. Not too far from Periwinkle drive, where all of the restaurants and shopping are located. So never a long drive to get to anywhere. You are also very close to a part of Ding Darling (Bailey Tract) for people who are interested in that. The beach was great (although we really LOVED Bowman's beach and Lighthouse beach). Any of the beaches in Sanibel are great as the waters are not too deep or rough for the little ones. We could go out quite a bit and my 3 year old was still able to touch!

The actual grounds of Pointe Santo are beautiful and very well maintained as well. If you are thinking of going here, you really can't go wrong! We really loved it!

(please ignore my additional ratings below didn't mean to click on them and can't remove my ratings) The resort is great! As far as rooms are concerned, I believe they are all privately owned so those ratings will vary by unit!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jamey_mj
Ironton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012 via mobile

We could not be happier with our choice of lodging for vacation. Everyone is super friendly, the place is very well maintained and overall we are very happy. Although we have no children it's a great place for kids. They have daily activities for the children in the club room. The beach is beautiful! We stayed in D-1 and the condo is very clean, updated and comfortable. We plan to return next year!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

it was the best trip i have ever had, the pool and the hot tub were amazing. teh most important thing was the beach, it had little shells everywhere you walked on the beac. IT WAS TOTALLY AMAZING

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Winter Springs, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

If you're looking for a relaxing, stress free vacation look no farther than C-36 at Pointe Santo de Sanibel. The condo itself is beautiful and it is obvious that the owners take great pride in making sure that their visitors have a wonderful time. The kitchen is stocked with just about everything you could need to cook for yourself during your stay if you want. There are games, books, and DVD's for evenings spent indoors. The balcony views are amazing. We spent every morning there for breakfast enjoying the sight of the lagoon with the ocean beyond. Lots of mornings we heard osprey and watched them flying around one of the palms near the pool. Beach chairs, umbrellas, fishing poles, and toys of all kind are available for your use and beach towels can be found in the master bathroom closet so you really only need to bring your family and clothes and you are set for the week. My favorite spot was the oversized, amazingly comfortable chair in the master bedroom. You can enjoy a great view while reading or just relaxing from this spot. As for Pointe Santo itself we really loved the beach and pool. We saw dolphins and on our last day a manatee came up and greeted a bunch of beachgoers and my son which totally made his day. Before we even left we were talking about when we come back again and when we do we'll be looking to stay in C-36.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family