“Relaxing Retreat”

Waterside Inn on the Beach
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Reviewed June 11, 2006

The Waterside Inn is a smaller seaside inn. My family of 6 rented one of the condos for one week following our visit to Disney for a period of recovery. I had notified the office when making the reservation that my party would be 6 and they advised that we needed to book a condo. Upon arriving I noticed that there was one larger bed, two twins and one roll away. We did check the couch and it appearred to be a pull out bed so we tried to pull it out. We didn't even get it half way out and it stopped moving and became stuck. The couch was now unusable. We called the office and they brought up another roll away bed. They didn't know the couch was a sofabed. I found out later that the condos are not owned by the Waterside. They are owned by consumers who rent them out. The Waterside takes care of them I do believe.
It took about 2 days but they did replace the couch and for our wait and for the calm way we handled the wait they discounted us.
Other than this, the trip was wonderful. The room was clean, but so you know, housekeeping does not clean the rooms daily in the condos. They will change your garbage and bring you towels.
The owners host a small outing once per week that is very nice. The beach was right there so we went each day. Hope you like shelling. It is impossible to even get to the water without seeing and touching many shells.
Don't take this as a negative review. I enjoyed and so did my family. It was relaxing and enjoyable, but I also don't want to state perfection. If you are looking for the Hilton, you will not find that here, but if you are looking for family fun and relaxation in a quaint inn. This is your place.

8  Thank dbbohner

Reviewed May 16, 2006

We had the great beach front cottage and it was freshly painted. Other than that, we thought it was a very expensive stay. Someone came in and gave us fresh towels each day. The kitchen towel looked like a cleaning rag. Don't expect nice towels or sheets or shampoo and hand cream. We prefer a firm mattress but the one there was like sleeping on the floor it was so hard.

There was a lot of sea weed (I would imagine it is seasonal) so the ocean swimming was not good. The pool was full of kids all day long (the pool is very, very small, don't let the brochure deceive you) so swimming in the pool was not an option.

We enjoyed Sanibel Island but wound up driving to Captiva every day because the beach there is gorgeous. The dolphins came right in close to shore and the sunset is much better there.

It is a nice place to stay compared to what we saw around it but the leaky toilet, noisy fridge, neighbors air conditioners on 24 hours a day and having to sweep up sand everyday made us feel it was overpriced.

You must pay in full 30 days before arrival. I didn't mind that but noticed after I got home from vacation another charge of $20.35 was added to my credit card. It's not that it's so much money, it's the idea of being charged extra for what I do not know. I have to just eat it or go through the hassle of calling them and disputing it. I just don't care for gouging.

11  Thank ezcheezy
Reviewed May 7, 2006

My mom and I stayed at the Waterside for a week in March, and we are planning to return next year. The staff was friendly, the room was comfortable, the guests were pleasant and the view and location were peerless. I didn't see another property that I'd choose over the Waterside, and I can't wait to return.

• Stayed: March 2006
3  Thank Philly_Traveler1
A TripAdvisor Member
New York
Reviewed May 4, 2006

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Waterside Inn in a cottage suite, Kiwi 109 I believe, in mid-April and we loved it. We got a room without a screened in porch which was fine, but if I go back I would get the screend in porch cottages because they really looked like a nice place to chill out during the evening and grab a bite. The room and kitchenette were clean and spacious. The location was ideal. I had never been to Sanibel before and was worried that the location would be a problem. Turns out the Waterside Inn is centrally located and RIGHT ON THE GULF! The resort is very quite, romantic and comfortable. The employees were helpful and nice. There may be "nicer" places on Sanibel & Captiva Island, but none I bet as nice for the price as the Waterside Inn. You really can't get more bang for your buck than the Waterside Inn. Also I would recommend anyone who hasn't been to this region to definitely spend an afternoon on Captiva Island, it is beautiful and the beaches in my opinion were a little better (less shells than Sanibel).

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Tarboro, North Carolina
Reviewed May 4, 2006

This place was very quiet and very enjoyable. We stayed in the condos and thouroughly enjoyed it! I would recommend this hotel to anyone!!!

• Stayed: June 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 29, 2006

More than we expected in every way! Everything about the Inn was great. The beach. The view from our room. The staff. The pool. My wife and I stayed in Pineapple 121, right on the Gulf. The room was very clean and well furnished. The beach was clean and uncrowded. The large picture window gave us a great view of the gulf. The staff was excellent; we asked for both breakfast and dinner recommendations, and they were spot on! We can't recommend the Waterside Inn enough!

4  Thank Charles_Calabritto
Reviewed April 25, 2006

My husband and I stayed for a few days in April to extend our vacation. Our room was on the second floor in the Pineapple building. It was a nice size, very clean and the bathroom had plenty of elbow room (two sinks!). The office staff were very friendly and accomodating. It was truely relaxing just sitting on our balcony with our coffee in the morning and looking at the water and the beautiful landscaping all around us. If you enjoy long walks on the beach (bring you beach shoes as there are many shells), beautiful sunsets and a tranquil atmosphere then plan a stay at the Waterside Inn.

5  Thank Cindy936