“Location Location Location....”

Waterside Inn on the Beach
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Reviewed April 3, 2008

I rated The Waterside Inn above average BECAUSE of the location. If your the fussy type.. then don't stay here, I'm sure you would find plenty to complain about.. if you are visiting the area because you want to enjoy the beach and all the wildlife... then this is a good place for you. We just got back and stayed in the Kiwi cottage - mostly good. The bed & bedding is a small step up from tent camping (haha) The A/C unit was loud - but kept us cool at night :-) We weren't there to sleep the sunny days away anyway! The staff was friendly, our cottage was pretty clean and well equipped for our needs (we weren't traveling with children) and there was a nice TV in our cottage. The grounds were gorgeous and well maintained - I loved the intimate feel. We would stay here again - and probably will next year. My husband and I were traveling through the area and stayed 3 nights. The Waterside Inn was kind enough to accommodate us when several other places required a week minimum stay - so Thank You!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Beach-Cowgirl22

Reviewed March 17, 2008

We stayed two nights at the Pineapple Lodge. Upon entering our room, we discovered the carpeting was wet. We didn't complain so that is our fault. The room remained humid all that first day, but finally dryed out the next. I agree with the comments about the A/C units being loud and the bed being uncomfortable, plus the bedding consisted of just a small sheet and a thin, stiff bedspread. Some of the bed pillows smelled awful which I did mention to the office person upon checkout. We had no problems with the staff - they were very friendly. We had forgotten to bring beach towels so they let us borrow some. I had checked out hotel prices on Sanibel Island prior to our arrival and found most rooms in the $300 range. We stopped at the Visitor's Center on the island and made our room reservation from there. Since our room was half that price, we knew it would be just the basics. We were just happy to be out of NE Ohio and the snow and cold!

Stayed: March 2008
2  Thank frankaye
Reviewed March 16, 2008

We recently returned from a fabulous stay at the Waterside Inn on Sanibel. The service was warm, friendly and very accomodating. The rooms are clean and quaintly decorated. Hotel staff were very relaxed. Gas BBQs were available as well as beach toys and a shell washing station. The pool was very nice and the hotel is right on the beach. The Waterside Inn was very reasonably priced, considering the service, location and amenities. I look forward to a return visit to the Waterside Inn and Sanibel.

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank sanibelvisitor
Reviewed December 27, 2007

We spent the Christmas holiday at Breakers West and had a fabulous time! The condo was beautifully decorated, clean and inviting. All the amenities we could have needed were provided. Staff was helpful and knowledgeable.

The pools were warm and crystal clear. The condo was just a short walk from the beach - which was indescribably beautiful. White sands, FULL of shells, CLEAN! Chairs and lounges provided by Waterside Inn right there next to the beach - couldn't be more convenient!

I'd highly recommend the Waterside Inn/Breakers West for anyone looking for exceptional accommodations!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank ryaneliz
Reviewed December 23, 2007

I have stayed at the Waterside Inn on two occasions, in 2004 and again in 2005. Both times we stayed in the Pineapple lodge on the upper floor and the rooms were a good size with 2 large beds (one of which was used by our toddler) and a small kitchen area with fridge, cooker, worktop space and a small worktop/bar area with stools to sit at. The rooms are clean and nicely decorated (sea green walls and bedding, white furniture and typical floral curtains!) and the balcony was great, although I seem to recall someone else mentioning the AC unit noise outside which I vaguely remember. The view of the gulf from our room was obstructed by several large palm trees but that really wasn't a problem as you’re unlikely to spend much time inside with such a stunning beach on your doorstep. The location is fantastic; literally a few steps from the beach with wonderful sunrises and sunsets and superb shelling. I would often get up at 6.00am while the family slept and slink off to the beach, watch the sun rise and collect some lovely shells in relative solitude. To summarise - a great, no frills, peaceful resort with spacious, clean rooms and friendly staff.

• Stayed: August 2005
4  Thank Missvalda
Reviewed December 1, 2007

My husband, son and I stayed in one of the condos in the Breakers West
building at the Waterside Inn for 5 nights in Nov 2007. We loved it! The condo was larger than we anticipated with ample kitchen supplies.
The beach was beautiful and offered wonderful sunset views. My 11 year old son watched the clock each day so we didn't miss the sunset.
He also kept busy with a net we bought him at a marine store on the island, for net casting. He caught a crab, bait fish and sucker fish.
All were safely returned to the water. Our son also collected shells, swam and played in the sand. We also rented bikes that the Waterside inn had on-site as a satellite vendor of Billy's Bikes. Lots of biking
paths available. On our 3rd day, we had two elderly family members join us in our condo. There was still ample room. Laundry machines in the unit were new and were necessary for us. Condo had 2 bathrooms which worked out well for the 5 of us. Screened in porch was nice especially since we were on the 1st floor and could walk out of the porch to go to the pool. There was always a smiling face in the office and all of our needs were met such as beach towels, directions, toiletries, etc. I noted the condos were handicapped accessible. The walkway outside of the unit was tiled in a non-slip design and it was ramped at one end. There was an elevator for those whose condos were on the second or third floors. The bike paths were wide and could accomodate bikes, trikes and scooters. Handicap accessible restaurants were also plentiful despite some of the restaurants being built on stilts. The Waterside Inn offered motel-like and cottage accomodations but we did not see the inside of these units. We plan on returning in November 2008 to the Waterside Inn and beautiful Sanibel Island.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank HuntermomNewJersey
Reviewed November 27, 2007

We recently stayed at the Waterside Inn as returning customers - we previously stayed there in July 2007. However, I am sad to report that there seems to have been a drop in the service and overall quality of the property. The owner, is a crotchety old fellow, who pulls up in his white jag and proceeds to make his guest's stays a miserable experience. When I asked for his help (clogged drain in our bath tub, as well as no hot water in our room at one point in addition to my wife's finger getting a shock from turning on the TV in our room!), he told me that he was sorry but there was absolutely nothing that he could (or was willing to do) to assist us. Since I am an attorney, maybe I should have suggested a potential lawsuit in light of my wife's near electrocution due to the Inn's faulty ammenities - maybe that would have motivated him to assist us a bit more!
We also experienced bites on our legs after sleeping in the beds, which I can only assume to be bed bugs, which we did not experience on our last visit.
Besides the crotchety owner, the housekeeping ladies are extremely agressive and seem to want to just get home as soon as possible. On one morning, they were basically stripping the sheets off the bed with us still in the bed!
The bottom line is that I would not recommend staying here unless you are travelling with your dog (as we were) and have no other choice, since the Waterside Inn accepts small pets in some of their units.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family