Waterside Inn on the Beach
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Island Inn(Sanibel Island)
View Hotel
Sunset Beach Inn(Sanibel Island)
Beachview Cottages(Sanibel Island)
View Hotel
West Wind Inn(Sanibel Island)
View Hotel
Casa Ybel Resort(Sanibel Island)
Mitchell's Sandcastles(Sanibel Island)
View Hotel
All reviewspineapple lodgethe cottagesthe kitchenold floridashuffleboard courtlounge chairspalm treesliterally stepsrent bikesshort drivelaid backsmall poolwest gulf drivesecond floorair conditionerstaff was very friendly and helpfulbug spray
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I have always heard wonderful things about Sanibel Island so my husband and I decided to stay here for 5 nights after our June 23, 2012 wedding. The honeymoon cottage was nice, cozy and comfortable.

Our biggest complaint were the ants in the kitchen. We did ask one of the maintenance people about the ants and he told us they were sugar ants. They were not horrible but they were enough to be annoying and the maintenance gentlemen did inform us that they do spray but sometimes there is just not much you can do about it.

The Inn itself could use a little work as some of it does look a little bit rundown but overall it was a good stay. The shells were definitely to die for on the beach. I would definitely come back again, maybe with my kids for a second try, in a different cottage.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank falzon
Sanibelblondie, Owner at Waterside Inn on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Thank you for your kind review of Waterside Inn on the Beach. We appreciate you sharing your feedback and apologize for the inconvenience with the sugar ants. This “tropical island life” can sometimes have some very annoying pests. We do our best to keep them under control, but sometimes they just want to show up where there not supposed to be. We hope you will consider us again next time you plan your island vacation.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

From when we first arrived at the property, the staff was friendly and helpful. Our cottage was ready, very clean, decorated very nice and extremely comfortable! They were prepared to assist you with anything you needed, like beach umbrellas, lounge chairs while on the beach, restaurant guide and island information. The beach was close, beautiful and relaxing! We stayed three nights and had a great time. We would go back in a heart beat!!! A big thank you to everyone on staff at Waterside Inn!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brenda H
Sanibelblondie, Owner at Waterside Inn on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We take all feedback very seriously and appreciate it when we get things right! Honeymoon cottage (also known as Apricot Cottage) was just renovated prior to your arrival (new bed, new light fixtures, and a whole new “beachy look”) so you picked a good time to come. Hope your travels home were safe and I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again soon! Debbie

Reviewed September 8, 2012

We were there for one night on Labor Day weekend. We called late and got the last cottage available that accepts dogs. We would have like to stay one extra night but they were booked solid. Our unit had a small screened porch, and a modernized little kitchen and was painted with vibrant key west style colors. Made us feel very happy! The first thing I do when entering a hotel/cottage, is to check for clean sheets and bathroom. The bathroom was very clean and the bed was quite comfortable.

The terrazzo floors were nice and cool and we appreciated and used the ceiling fans.
All in all, we definitely enjoyed our short visit and could see spending a week there next time.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Susi T
Sanibelblondie, Owner at Waterside Inn on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Ahh, so happy we were able to accommodate you….even if it was for only one day. Now that you know about us, you can call ahead to make sure we have the number of nights available that you desire. Be sure to mention that you are a returning customer and get a 10% discount! Thanks for the kind words and the “thumbs up” for Waterside Inn on the Beach.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Spent a fantastic Labor Day weekend here for 3 nights. Having never been to Sanibel before, we really didn’t know what to expect, but now we’re hooked!

We stayed in Grapefruit 106, and really enjoyed this 1-bedroom space. The unit comes stocked with just about everything you might need, except a dishwasher. I guess we’re spoiled at home. We didn’t realize that the daily housekeeping service only meant that there would be a towel exchange and a trash pick-up, so after the first night we realized we needed to do our own dishes. Not a problem at all, but we just weren’t expecting it. We could have also used a cookie pan in the kitchen, as my husband is a freak when it comes to baking cookies at night when we go on vacation. Instead, we used a brownie baking pan, and just split the batter into two baking sessions. Other than that, all pots and pans, kitchen plates and utensils, along with necessary appliances were all provided. They even provide you with a vacuum cleaner and broom to help maintain sand-free floors!

The bathroom had a tub and shower, sink, and toilet. It was quite small, with no real space to place anything other than a couple of items on the counter. The best vanity space was the dresser with mirror in the bedroom, which is the space I used to get ready in the morning, and reserved the bathroom for just showering and brushing teeth.

While the cottages here are dated, they are clean! There is some rust in the bathroom and while the unit has a very old feel, the fact that it was Spic N Span clean really made all the difference. This was more than adequate for us, but if you’re looking for a 4 or 5 star resort, this is not it. These are beachy old Florida-style cottages.

You really can’t beat the location, right on the beach. No streets to cross, and you get to park your car right next to your cottage. Though Grapefruit 106 is a Gulf View cottage, you can really only see the gulf from the screened in patio, but that’s no big deal. If you prefer to stay in a Gulf Front cottage, I recommend Lime 101 over Mango 102 simply because we noticed several cars parked in the general parking area that were blocking quite a bit of the view for the people staying in Mango 102. Just something to think about. For the money, the Gulf View cottages are perfect!

It is without hesitation that I recommend the beach cottages at Waterside Inn if you’re looking to stay right on the beach in Sanibel!

Room Tip: For a small view of the gulf choose one of the Gulf View cottages that are forward facing -- Raspberry 105, Grapefruit 106, Kiwi 109.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TrvlGrl12

Hey there Travel Girl: You were so sweet to review our Waterside Inn on the Beach cottages. Sounds like you really had a great time and I know we’ll be seeing more of you. I wish you had come to the office to ask for a cookie sheet because we could have set you up with one. Maybe we would have scored one of your husband’s freshly baked cookies – YUM! Anyway, I’ve made sure that Grapefruit 106 is equipped with one now. Right now, we are in the process of painting, re-screening, and generally sprucing up all the units so hopefully next time the unit will have a new fresh look for you. We appreciate you business and hope to see you again soon. I’ll be looking for one of those delicious cookies!!

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Pros:
- Nice, clean, inviting, warm, relaxing small one-bedroom home.
- I found the bed and sheets to be very comfortable. That's where I spent most of my time!
- Inside the cottage is painted and well decorated with a beach theme. There was plenty of furniture and all the necessary appliances and amenities needed to live inside a home.
- I really enjoyed that the kitchen was filled with silverware and pots & pans. This place seemed very "move-in ready".
-The beach was literally in the backyard, only a minute away and no crossing of streets necessary.
- I woke up early, around 7 am, and got to see several jumping dolphins and different birds searching for their breakfast.
- Very close parking.
- The pool was a hop, skip, and a jump away.

Cons:
-The walls are kind of thin, I went to the bathroom and could hear clear as the day, the person on the other side releasing every sound humanly possible.
- I don't know what genius placed the washer and dryer above the bedroom but someone decided to do their laundry at 3:40 AM and I just could not sleep.There should be a policy against that.
-The entrance driveway is dangerous and tight. Every time we were trying to exit, we were worried about a potential on-coming vehicle.

Lessons Learned:

- Next time, I will go grocery shopping before arriving and stock up the kitchen. It would have made my stay more comfortable.
- I am not sure what the pet policy is here but I saw a few dogs which made me nervous. I will ask in a future booking, if I'm going to be staying next to a pet owner.
-The help desk was polite but don't expect a response if you need something delivered to your room. I was just told that I have to wait for the cleaning crew to show up, whenever that would be.
- The beach is littered with seashells which is a pretty sight but do not try to walk barefoot or you will feel like your walking on glass.
- No one mentions the dangers of the beach. Yes. Dangers. I was watching the sunset and tried to take a picture when all of sudden I felt like someone was setting both my legs on fire! I was being attacked by a swarm of "no-see-um's" or "sand-fleas". They thrive on beaches and on dead vegetation. BRING YOUR BUG SPRAY AND BATHE IN IT or you will regret it.

Overall, I will definitely return. There were some bumps but it's all a part of the experience. Thank you for a great, relaxing weekend. Minus the hazards!

Room Tip: The Raspberry Cottage did not have a beach view but I loved it because it felt secluded. I didn't feel like I was sharing with other people like the Kiwi Cottage for example, the two units are side by side.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank NoraSantiago
Sanibelblondie, Owner at Waterside Inn on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Hi Nora, and thank you for taking the time to describe your stay here at Waterside Inn. It sounds like you had a restful, peaceful time here with a few “hiccups”. Let me explain a few things to make everyone more comfortable about coming to Waterside Inn on Sanibel Island.
• Yes, Sanibel Island has No-see-ums that tend to come out at sunset and when there is no breeze. There is no particular season for No-See-Ums so someone coming a day after you were here might not even experience them. The good thing is that there are plenty of products on the market that will keep these little buggers away….the best we’ve found is No-Noseeum Spray. We sell it at our Office for your convenience.
• I’m a bit confused about your comment about the Washer/Dryer being above you. Raspberry is a single story building with nothing above you. The laundry facilities are located on the other side of the pool area.
• Your comment about the entry driveway is correct. We have a very narrow entry so I’m glad your were careful when you came and went. Nothing much I can do about that…..but it is a pretty driveway lined with native shrubby and stately coconut palms ~ drive slow and enjoy the tropical beauty!
• I’m sorry you felt nervous about the pets we had staying here. We are a “Pet Friendly” resort and we allow pets no larger than 30lbs. We are strict in allowing pets that are well behaved. With the 30lb weight limit, we mostly have pets that are friendly and well cared for. If a pet is a nuance, they are contacted right away so as not to disturb other Guests. Please feel free to contact the Front Desk personnel if you have any problem in the future and it will be handled immediately!
• Unlike a Motel Room, the cottages do not have daily maid service. The cottages are housekeeping units which mean that the towels are exchanged daily as well as picking up the garbage. I’m not sure what you wanted “delivered” to your room, but we have limited towels and toiletries at the Office which you are more than welcome to. In the future if the housekeeping is not on the premises, please ask our helpful staff and they will be more than happy to accommodate your needs.

Once again, we appreciate your business and are please that you will be returning to vacation with us in the near future.