After visiting Sanibel briefly a year and a half ago, I could not wait to bring my 7 year old for three days while spending a week in Florida on a whirlwind trip to Disney then Sanibel. I wanted to stay as close to the beach as possible being her first trip to the ocean. I spent a couple of months checking out every possible place to stay in Sanibel. I chose Shalimar because of the location to the beach along with the “extras” I read about.
I must say, I was nothing but satisfied! We were in the motel, third room from the water. The screened porch was fantastic. We ate all of our meals on the porch. We could see the water from anywhere in our room. The room was very spacious and included two queen-size beds with adorable updated decor. The kitchen was small but plenty big for the two of us. My 7 year old had the best time and did not want to leave!
There are plenty of beach chairs for the private beach, tons of shells and beautiful birds. We even saw a turtle nest right in front of Shalimar Motel waiting for the turtles to hatch. What a treat.
The pool was adequate with towels for the taking. The staff was very friendly and assisted with the remote when my daughter picked out movies, an extra bonus. Plenty of towels and kitchen supplies in the room.
Do be aware if you are on the bottom floor it is quite loud. You can hear the neighbors on top floor, so if there are people above you who stay in the room, it can be annoying. If you are a light sleeper, request a top floor. If you are in the Cottages, you will not have these worries.
I did speak with Romas, the manager upon checkout, and he was more than accommodating. I was very pleased with him and the rest of the staff at Shalimar.
After checking out, I did drive to the other places I had “shopped” online, and am very pleased with my choice just to check out the location. You can’t beat Shalimar Cottages! Certainly, “closest to the beach”. Such a Florida feel along with the extras. It’s like having your own beach! I was very impressed and will return for a much longer stay next year!
Robin Kelly, Texas
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Shalimar is an Old Florida-style resort of 33 units located directly on the Gulf of Mexico. Blending in with the natural beauty of the island, Shalimar offers many features without spoiling the natural atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Shalimar Cottages and Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shalimar Cottages Hotel Sanibel Island
- Shalimar Hotel Sanibel Island
- Shalimar Motel Sanibel Island