“Shalimar Cottages and Motel-Closest to the Beach in Sanibel!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Shalimar Cottages and Motel
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Tyler, Texas, United States
“Shalimar Cottages and Motel-Closest to the Beach in Sanibel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

After visiting Sanibel briefly a year and a half ago, I could not wait to bring my 7 year old for three days while spending a week in Florida on a whirlwind trip to Disney then Sanibel. I wanted to stay as close to the beach as possible being her first trip to the ocean. I spent a couple of months checking out every possible place to stay in Sanibel. I chose Shalimar because of the location to the beach along with the “extras” I read about.
I must say, I was nothing but satisfied! We were in the motel, third room from the water. The screened porch was fantastic. We ate all of our meals on the porch. We could see the water from anywhere in our room. The room was very spacious and included two queen-size beds with adorable updated decor. The kitchen was small but plenty big for the two of us. My 7 year old had the best time and did not want to leave!
There are plenty of beach chairs for the private beach, tons of shells and beautiful birds. We even saw a turtle nest right in front of Shalimar Motel waiting for the turtles to hatch. What a treat.
The pool was adequate with towels for the taking. The staff was very friendly and assisted with the remote when my daughter picked out movies, an extra bonus. Plenty of towels and kitchen supplies in the room.
Do be aware if you are on the bottom floor it is quite loud. You can hear the neighbors on top floor, so if there are people above you who stay in the room, it can be annoying. If you are a light sleeper, request a top floor. If you are in the Cottages, you will not have these worries.
I did speak with Romas, the manager upon checkout, and he was more than accommodating. I was very pleased with him and the rest of the staff at Shalimar.
After checking out, I did drive to the other places I had “shopped” online, and am very pleased with my choice just to check out the location. You can’t beat Shalimar Cottages! Certainly, “closest to the beach”. Such a Florida feel along with the extras. It’s like having your own beach! I was very impressed and will return for a much longer stay next year!
Robin Kelly, Texas

Room Tip: If you are choosing the motel and are a light sleeper, choose the top floor if possible or the cotta...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Robin K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

On a recent trip to Florida, we decided to check out Sanibel Island, after hearing great reviews about it. We went to the Chamber of Commerce and spoke with a man who was able to give us some accomdation options with vacancy and a map of where they were located. We checked out the Shalimar and 3 other places, and it was a no brainer, the Shalimar was by far the best choice!! We stayed in the Motel part, versuses a cottage, and we had a beautiful, big room. The screened in porch is something I still miss sitting out in every morning and every night. We had a direct view of the ocean and could hear the waves and see the sunset from the porch. Really, what else can you ask for?? The beach was literally about a 30 second walk away and it was just gorgeous! They provided colorful beach chairs to sit in and we met SO many lovely people who were staying there as well. The whole atmosphere of the Shalimar is what I really think I fell in love with. The openness of the property, the interior decoration of the beach themed rooms, the location of the beach, everything was just so relaxing and fun. They even have gas grills around the property you can use to cook up anything you would like. The only thing I would say that wasnt a five star rating were that the walls were a little thin, so you could sometimes hear the foot steps of the people above you, or the tv of the people next door, but it really wasnt that bad at all because it was so minimal. Most importantly, it felt like home there and I didnt want to leave!! I am already trying to figure out when I can go back here!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank summer140
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

My husband and I have been enjoying Ft. Myers beach for the past 7 years or more. Our original plan for this year's two week vacation was to take the Autotrain to Sanford and drive to Ft Myers Beach. We had been kicking around the thought of staying on Sanibel but I didn't do my Trip Advisor "homework" and just figured we'd scout out the area for next year.
We started in Ft. Myers at the Best Western with all good intentions (we really do love it there) but on our second night, realized that there were some College kids inhouse for late Spring Break. I wasn't wild about them talking outside our ground floor room to their friends two stories up at 230 in the morning and decided we better split. So, IPad in hand, we did some late homework and wrote down some names of hotels on Sanibel and went exploring.
On our way we saw a "vacancy" sign at the Shalimar. Did a quick U-turn and went in to look.
We looked no further.
This place was exactly what we were looking for. Romas (at the front desk) was extremely accomodating and walked us around. He showed us a one bedroom cottage that would be available the very next day for the remainder of our stay (10 nights). We were already locked in the Best Western for that Tuesday night so that was fine. Again-we love Ft. Myers beach and had a great dinner at Yucatan's but that's a different review, isn't it? LOL!
The one-bedroom was just perfect. Separate bedroom, two TVs (although the TV in the bedroom didn't get many channels), full kitchen (although a small room, had everything we needed). Living room had a table and chairs, easy chair and ottoman and a writing desk. The bathroom was nothing fancy but clean and the shower had good water pressure.
On-sight laundry room was great. Two washers, two dryers. The front desk can make change for you. I believe they sell detergent too. We already purchased some at Publix. The pool was very nice. Chaise lounges and chairs all looked new and the pool was always very clean. Warm too! We brought our own beach towels although there is a bin at the pool for towels. They are not the greatest quality but if you don't have your own, they would work. There was no need to sign them out and give a deposit. there were plenty to go around and the bin seemed to be replenished a couple of times a day.
They don't do maid service. However, because we were staying over a week, they did come in one day to change the sheets and do the bathroom. Other days we just did a towel exchange by the office (8a-1p). that room also had an abundance of bath towels, bath soap, dish soap, tissues, toilet paper, garbage bags, paper towels etc. Also had a great lender's library.
The only grocery store we went to was Bailey's. Prices were a teeny bit high but being from NY-I didn't think they were out of line. Also, the convenience of having it right there was great. We even bought two steaks and barbecued one night. (they had three or four gas grills on sight).
The beach was very nice. Tons upon tons of shells. As a matter of fact, we wound up purchasing rubber beach shoes at CVS for about 10.00 a pair. This way we could walk the beach and walk in the water without the ever-present "OW!"
Nice, plastic, colorful Adirondack chairs were also free for use.
I'll review the various restaurants we went to separatly and can honestly say that in all the years (20 plus) my husband and I have been going to different places in Florida (east coast, west coast, the keys, etc) this is the first time we didn't have a bad meal-anywhere!
All in all, Shalimar and Sanibel was a dream come true. We could NOT have asked for more wonderful accomodations. oh-they have bicycles to rent as well.
I can't wait to plan my next trip.

Room Tip: The cottages were worth it. Not all of them are directly facing the beach but they are all the same...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank teree521
Sanford, Florida, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

My wife and I had reservations for the last week in Sept. 2011 and had given a $200.00 deposit, but I ended up in the hospital having unexpected surgery and we were unable to go on vacation to Sanibel and stay at Shalimar. The management were unwilling to give a refund due to their 30 day refund policy or offer a credit toward our next visit. They just kept our deposit and we got nothing. We really like staying at Shalimar and have done so 3 or 4 times but I guess we will have to find another place to stay the next time we vacation on Sanibel.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Richard L
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012 via mobile

First impression while entering the resort is no less than "charming" It is a small resort snuggled up to the beach closer than any other resort on the island. The cottages were unavailable and so we stayed in the motel building which included a small kitchenette. We were on the ground floor with a screened in porch facing the ocean and it's beautiful sunsets. The building is older and you can hear those walking in the room overhead but overall a much more guiet area compared to other condo complexes due to it's small size. The beds and pillows are far superior for comfort compared to other places we have stayed. I would come back in a heart beat.

Stayed April 2012
8 Thank KH59
Stamps, AR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

I found Shalimar by looking at reviews, being that this was my first trip to Sanibel Island. I got extremely lucky, because this place was awesome. I stayed in the motel, and the room was just right for me or for a couple. It had a kitchenette and was very roomy. The only downside was that the bathroom was small, but how much time do you actually spend there? It was nice and had everything I needed and was laid out well, plenty of storage. The screened porch was awesome and at night, I could hear the sound of the waves from my bed. The rooms were also decorated nicely, I could have lived there. The bed was very comfortable. The staff and management was so friendly and accomodating. The people staying there were mostly return customers and had been staying there for years. It was a very family atmosphere and since I was traveling alone, they accepted me and were so nice. Gave me many tips about Sanibel and I felt that if I needed anything or any help, I could have asked any of them or the management. I left feeling that I made new friends and I will be going back and staying at the same place. Very quiet and not far from resturants, not one on premises, but Crap Trap right next door and it was great. From what I could tell, it was the closest to the beach on the Tarpon Beach than the other resorts. Shelling was wonderful, and that is what I loved. They have Friday night socials, so you get to know your neighbors. I don't think you will regret staying at this resort. I will be back and thank you for all the first memories of Sanibel Island.

Room Tip: I stayed on bottom floor and you do hear noise from upstairs, but since I am a night owl, it was bet...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Cathy D
Wheelersburg, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2012

We stayed here because it was billed as closest to the beach, and it is. We stayed on the second floor of the motel, and the efficiency was adequate. Everything was clean. The bed was comfortable. The TV was flat screen. The WiFi worked consistently.The screened in porch was fabulous and rather private. There is a very clean guest laundry, clothes lines, a warm pool. The floor creaked, so I was glad I was upstairs. It is an easy walk to the Bailey access Ding Darling refuge, which is free. The bird watching on this section beach is outstanding. I had the best luck shelling about 2 miles west, toward Captiva, and there are fewer people in that direction. I would certainly stay here again. I come here for shells and birds, and being this close to both is ideal.

Room Tip: 1 and 11 are closest to beach, then 2 and 12. Would chose 11, 12, 13, 14, in that order if cottages...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple