“A little corner of Paradise”

Shalimar Cottages and Motel
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Niskayuna, New York
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,155 helpful votes
“A little corner of Paradise”
Reviewed August 22, 2003

My husband, two children (10 and 14) and I just returned from a nine-night stay at the Shalimar and could not have been more pleased with our accomodations in the motel efficiency. There was more than enough closet and drawer space (a pet peeve of mine), the place was absolutely immaculate, the decor lovely and the kitchenette with its full-size fridge an unexpected and welcome surprise. The screened balcony overlooking the beach was wonderful. The pool and the motel grounds were well-maintained and I cannot say enough complimentary things about the folks who staff the place--I was even provided with bug spray to combat the no-see-ums (the only bad thing about Sanibel).
My kids were happy with the video library and I was happy to be provided with a paperback selection. The lack of daily maid service was actually a blessing--no need to vacate the room and we didn't waste any towels. I cannot recommend the Shalimar more highly and we would stay there again in a heartbeat. The fact that it has so many return visitors is a testament to its excellence.

17 Thank Lori12309

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed August 18, 2003

My wife and I plus our two children stayed at the Shalimar for three days in August, 2003. I had never seen the property but observed the photographs on Shalimar's website. We booked over the phone. When we arrived I was the hero of the family for choosing such a wonderful location. Our cottage was close to the beach and to the pool. The cottage was extremely clean and well maintained. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. My wife lost a key to the cottage and we expected to pay a key replacement fee. The staff understood and didn't charge us a penny for another key. We would return to the Shalimar in a heartbeat if given the chance. It was one of the best places we have ever stayed in our lives. We have traveled to many states and also to many countries and stayed in many accomodations but we will never forget the Shalimar!

3 Thank JeffHayes
Reviewed July 2, 2003

My stay at the Shalimar was terrible, Sanibel is one of my favorite places to visit mainly because they allow dogs on the beach. I booked a three night stay through their website under the impression they allow dogs. There was no mention of a no pet policy at the website. To make matters worse we traveled all the way from North Florida a 5 hour drive. We stayed our three nights and four days with no complaints or mention of the no dog policy from management. Upon arival home we got a call from management saying they are charging an extra 100.00 dollars for our chocolat lab. This charge was compleatly unauthorised and is being disputed. I feel this whole expirence could have been avoided if the hotel policies were posted on the website that took my reservation. I will never stay at the shalimar again.....these people are crooks and should loose their business license

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 14, 2003

I stayed at the Shalimar about 2 years ago with friends and family. It was a great place to stay, the management was very night, the rooms were clean, it was a nice location. It doesn't have any restaurant or anything like that, but a nice living room, seperate bedrooms. If you want to enjoy the sun its a great place. The pool closed kind of early though. I have heard there is new management and rates have increased as well as it not being as hospitalable as it was. Only good thing I hear is the pool is open later.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 11, 2003

I'm a FL native and Shalimar on Sanibel is my all-time favorite place to stay. (I've been staying there since the 60's!) It's a wonderfully older motel sitting right on the beach facing the Gulf. Imagine relaxing on your private screen porch, listening the the gentle lapping surf. You won't find any fancy ammenitives ... the rooms are modest, but have everything you need for a beach experience, including kitchenettes and airconditioning. Fresh linens are self-serve but all rooms face the ocean! There's also a small pool ... plus plenty of wooden loungers and chairs on the beach for guests to soak in the sun. We think the location and setting is as good as it gets on Sanibel. It's the only place we know of where your room is located right on the beach itself.

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member