Casa Ybel Resort
Sunset Beach Inn(Sanibel Island)(Great Value!)
$189
$151
Island Inn(Sanibel Island)(Great Value!)
$219
$158
West Wind Inn(Sanibel Island)
$228
$169
Sanibel Inn(Sanibel Island)(Great Value!)
$239
$191
$252
$196
Seaside Inn(Sanibel Island)(Great Value!)
$199
$159
Anchor Inn & Cottages(Sanibel Island)(Great Value!)
$120
$105
Kona Kai Motel(Sanibel Island)(Great Value!)
$109
Song of the Sea(Sanibel Island)(Great Value!)
$339
All reviewsthistle lodgerecommend casapool barthe kitchentime shareliving roomgrouper sandwichscreened in porchlarge poolan umbrellaone bedroom unitfirst floorbeautiful view of the gulfpool siderented bikesgulf of mexicobeautiful grounds
Reviewed December 4, 2006

Spent a weekend at this hotel for a wedding and was very under whelmed. Considering the price of the place I would have expected a friendly welcome instead I got a sour faced teenager who was about as happy to help me as I was to see all the kids running around. The suites are perfectly fine but don't expect any resort like amenities…I almost felt like I was at camp with the 2 towel limit for the beach (like I would actually want to keep the threadbare towels for myself) and the extra charges for chairs and umbrellas. If you are looking for a place where you can eat meals in and kids will have a blast this is the place for you but if you are looking for a relaxing resort getaway stay clear!

• Stayed: December 2006
6  Thank travel43
Reviewed November 12, 2006

My husband, 2 year-old son and I stayed at Casa Ybel on November 2-5, 2006. and had a wonderful time. Our one-bedroom suite was beautiful, spacious and extremely clean. All the furniture looked brand new and there was a full kitchen with a stove, microwave, refrigerator, toaster, dishwasher and lots of plates, cups, pots/pans and utensils. We enjoyed sitting on the large screened-in porch, which had stairs leading down the back towards the Gulf (some of the suites only had access from the front). The bed linens were the only thing we didn't like in the room -- they were 50% polyester and a bit rough. The staff was very nice and accommodating. They took care of a wasps nest on the stairs and replaced dead batteries in our TV remote as soon as we complained. The grounds were lovely, as were the pools. They have a large pool, a smaller kiddie pool and a Jacuzzi. The pool-side cafe was nice, but a bit expensive (which is typical for upscale resorts). The main restaurant, The Thistle Lodge, had decent food, but was overpriced and noisy on the weekend. There are many great, kid-friendly resturants on Sanibel (The Bubble Lounge, The Island Cow, etc), which I would recommend exploring instead. The resort also has several grills for guests to use. Last, but not least, the beach was beautiful. Unfortunately, while we were there a bunch of very stinky red tide washed in, so we could not swim in the Gulf. The resort does provide chairs and umbrellas, but at a hefty fee. We ran down to the local CVS and picked up our own for a fraction of the cost. Nevertheless, if you want to get away from it all and relax in style, then Casa Ybel is a great choice.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank TW&DAA
Reviewed October 29, 2006

We just returned from a vacation of 10 days at Casa Ybel Resort. Our two daughters (2 and 3 yrs old) LOVED the huge toddler pool. The beach was SUPERB. Lots of white sand and spectacular shells. I would highly recommend this resort for young families. But we aware of the following:
- few units have a washer or dryer. (When the resort staff tells you on booking that they "cannot guarantee a washer/dryer in your unit", they mean YOU WILL NOT HAVE ONE). Be prepared.
- the toddler pool has NO UMBRELLAS OR SHADE/SHELTER FROM THE FLORIDA SUN AT ALL. It gets VERY hot and there is no way (we asked) to get an unbrella put up.
- there is only one restaurant that your kids can enjoy on site (the pool BBQ -- Coconuts); they also serve no breakfast and nothing past dusk -- so you will have to leave to eat (or cook in your suite). The Thistle Lodge restaurant is too fancy for little ones.
- to get chairs or an unbrella for the beach you must pay a service charge (per day). Very costly. I suggest you go to the local hardware store and BUY a couple of chairs, a beach mat and an umbrella -- all for $50 (rather than pay $60/day to rent from the hotel).
- there are no "added-value" items -- no shampoo, no toiletries, etc. provided to you in your suite (just bars of soap). Come prepared.

We really enjoyed our trip -- a few side trips to Captiva are a MUST...we will return...

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
6  Thank MontrealMommy
Reviewed October 20, 2006

My family, 2 adults, 2 children 9 & 5 stayed at Casa Ybel 10/7 through 10/11.

Best parts of CY are the grounds and pool area. Well maintained grounds with beautiful lawns, palm trees and hammocks. Pool is a good size with a separate kiddie pool. Ample chairs, umbrellas etc around the pool area.

Previous TA reviews noted the beach chair / umbrella service. While the brochure they gave us at check in said each unit was entitled to one umbrella and two chairs, we had $65 dollars in rental charges on our bill. When I showed the desk manager the brochure, he said "that's not supposed to be there." Really? You printed and gave me the brochure.

The rooms are generally nice but not in the greatest condition. The bedroom was on the small side with very little room to operate. The bath towels provided were VERY small and in poor condition. Kitchen was in good shape and well stocked.

For a hotel that advertises itself as being "a T&L top 500 hotel" and charges $250+ a night, I didn't see it.

The property is well located, quiet and overall nice, but I would not consider it a premium property or worth the price. We finished our vacation at the Hyatt Regency Bonita Springs which was less expensive and MUCH nicer.

Casa Ybel is decent but not great. I do not expect to visit again.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
7  Thank tboyerpa
Reviewed September 9, 2006

For the past two years we have rented a 2 bedroom/2 bath condo in building K from a Casa Ybel time share owner. The only thing lacking is a view of the beach......foliage hides the view of the beach as seen from the lanai..... but the gulf waters are visible from this lower floor unit. The upper units do have a wonderful view of the beach and gulf. The beach is gorgeous at this section of Sanibel....and really not crowded.

The unit itself is beautifully furnished, CLEAN, and wonderfully stocked with kitchen utensils and appliances. These units were totally refurbished after Hurricane Charley in 2004.

Another reason we like Casa Ybel is because of the beach chair and umbrella service. We stayed at Golden Beach (next door) for 2 years also.....and grew tired of lugging beach chairs/umbrella to the beach each day. ALthough we are beach--not pool--people, I must say that the pool area is very beautiful.

We used to stay at Southseas, but I really did not like the long drive to the restaurants and stores on Sanibel. The units at Casa Ybel seem to be pretty comparable to the Plantation Beach Villas we would rent at Southseas. The outside grills are very nice and usable. Any maintenance problems were solved quickly and professionally.
We stock up on groceries before we cross the bridge to Sanibel, and then restock at Jerry's or Bailey's. We only eat out maybe 2-3 times a week, but have never tried the Casa Ybel restaurant or poolside cafe.

M.