“Expensive, but worth it”
Review of Casa Ybel Resort

Casa Ybel Resort
Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We ended up here as every other place that looked decent was booked and we didn't have a reservation anywhere. It was one of the most expensive options on the island, but was top notch across the board.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bob W

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Fabulous staff, great amenities. We enjoyed listening to the surf from our balcony. Rooms were very comfortable. Great beach access. Loved the convenience of renting bikes at the hotel in order to visit Ding Darling National Park and the lighthouse. Great lunches / happy hour at the pool and great dining at the Thistle Inn

Room Tip: I believe all rooms face the beach, so each room is terrific
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Gretchen F
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Fort Myers beach really didn't have any resort that was really nice except for The Pink Shell.
We left Pink Shell for the day to check out Captiva and Sanibel.

The restaurants on these islands are MUCH better than what the Pink Shell area had to offer. There is a TON of traffic on these islands. Best bet, walk everywhere...Crazy traffic like Las Vegas or NYC. It was a beautiful area! Goodness, so much better than Fort Meyers beach. The beaches here seemed to be much smaller in width than Fort Myers by a landslide!

We should have stayed here because it was much more "couple" suited. The Pink Shell was fantastic but was certainly much more geared for families because it was very kid friendly and children oriented with almost everything.

Casa Ybell's property was green and lush. Very relaxing and quiet. They have taken very good care of this place. Tweens Resort offered a better beach, but this place was deserving of the price that it was aquainted with verses Tweens that was not...

The restaurant staff was perfect and food was delicious. Beautiful restaurant. This resort would be ideal for a wedding.

The beaches at both this resort and Tweens were far smaller than on Fort Myers but if I had to do it over again, my husband and I would have stayed here since we were here without the children.

Overall, this place was really peaceful and well manicured.

acker19@yahoo.com please feel free to contact me with any questions..

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank acker19
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Casa Ybel is beautiful. Beautiful grounds, nice pool, great pool bar, great beach. The condo's are a bit small, but clean, nicely kept and they all face the ocean. It really is a beautiful place that we return to every year. It's a great resort for kids. Lots of room to play and not worry about them. Volleyball, shuffle board, tennis, basketball, great pool, etc. Perfect for a family vacation.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Michael M
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Right off the bat the grounds of Casa Ybel are beautiful. You cross over a lovely bridge with gorgeous flowers throughout the resort. The individual buildings are set up nicely with every unit having a water view I think. I made a reservation for the four of us for a one-bedroom place that would have 2 queen beds but was upgraded to a 2-bedroom unit. I was a little wary at first and wondered what was the catch. The trade-off is that there is no maid service with the upgrade. I thought it a little odd but was happy for the extra room. I think another aspect of the upgrade was that the unit we had was in need of some updating. Our unit didn't look like the photos on their website but was still fine. The kitchen was pretty outdated.
All in all, the extra room proved quite a bonus with my mom getting her own room on the lower floor with its own bath. The tennis courts on the property were great and I was very thankful for the opportunity to reserve chairs and umbrellas for the week which were set up for us very near our unit every morning. That was a great perk, although pricey. Also, we were able to reserve our bikes for the week and they were waiting for us right by the pool. That saved a huge amount of hassle not going to the bike rental facility.
One thing I found hugely irritating was the chair saving situation at the pool. The pool isn't very big for the amount of guests and people must get there very early to save chairs. We only went to the pool one day and by 11:30 there wasn't an available chair. There were also no people sitting in them. I have no idea why a resort of this caliber would allow this to happen. There are attendants at the pool at all times who could very easily tell guests that is not allowed.
We found out during our stay that this is a Hilton timeshare property and on that note, I can only comment that as a Marriott Vacation Club owner, Casa Ybel doesn't compare favorably. As far as places go on Sanibel it is quite nice. But if I compare the 2 hotel companies I think Marriott has done a much better job of creating very luxurious properties. I think the prices are quite comparable so Hilton you have a ways to go. A nice week for the most part but I did expect a little bit more.

Room Tip: I think they're all pretty good with water views. I didn't have a complaint about that.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank pamalam
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Every year we go to Casa Ybel over Winter Break, and since it was re-done after the most recent hurricane, the facilities are nice, bright, clean. Everything you could want is in each unit, there is no need to buy anything but your food. The pool is huge, with plenty of lounge chairs. The island is loaded with great shopping, restaurants, walking.

Room Tip: There is no bad 'room' because every unit faces the beach and the Gulf. You might want to b...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I am here now and initial impressions are that it is a great resort. It is clean, welcoming and has that manicured American feel. The views all around are stunning. The appartments look very well maintained and have a luxury look. Disappointingly The longer I am here however, the more holes I find to not give it 5 stars.

Firstly the positives -
The one bed (garden room) is a great size for my family of 2 adults and 2 young children. We like to have the flexibility to cook basic food like pasta dishes that we know the kids will eat if they have been fussy in the day. The appt is equipped with a coffee / hot water machine, a huge oven with hob, microwave, fridge freezer with ice machine and dishwasher. There are plenty utensils, cutlery and crockery to ensure you won't need anything. Overall first impressions on this appartment were excellent.

The daily maid service is also EXCELLENT. Our maid comes in and runs the dishwasher, empties it, cleans the appartment thoroughly and Provides clean towels and bed linen. She is happy and friendly and comes across trustworthy.

The facilities are good - there are 2 swimming pools. An infant one which is 2 ft deep and the adults which goes from 4ft to 11ft. There are plenty of pool toys to keep the kids happy at the towel shack. The recreation guys giving out the towels are friendly and provide bike rent services and beach chair rental.
There are a number of shell washing stations dotted amongst the property for the kids to wash their treasures which is a great idea.
Pool bar - great guys providing a friendly service. The food menu is for me a real draw. I love wraps and salads and can highly recommend them. The kids menu is good too and this is a real weight off my mind. I find the general quality of food in the U.S poor however here I find it a pleasure to look through the menu.

Kids club - open 10am-1pm on most days. My 2 were very nervous about going in but after their first experience they loved it and are going back for more. The main reason we chose Casa Ybel was for the kids activities. My husband works hard and on holiday throws himself into playing with the kids. A couple of hours down time a couple of times in the week is a real treat. It also keeps the kids out of the sun for a little bit!
There are also some mini craft activities (parent accompanied unless you pay $10 supplement) which we haven't tried yet but sound great.

So the downsides?
The drinks - cheap alcohol just drives me crazy. I expect cheap brand when I go to an all inclusive resort. I get that the hotel won't give premium spirits away for free however here I am paying $10 for a cocktail and feel very short changed. Also the bar has run out of a few ingredients a number of times which is disappointing.

Beach chairs / umbrellas - there are just not enough of them. I haven't been able to hire any for 4 days. The beach is covered in shells and not really comfortable to lie on. If I was travelling to a beach I would take beach mats and towels. I didn't expect to need those here. The pool is busy and to escape to the beach isn't really an option at the moment.

Overall - very happy we came to Casa Ybel. Their website doesn't do the resort justice in my mind. It really is a stunning looking resort. It is an expensive holiday to come on which you know when you book and spending money just depends on how often you eat out and how many drinks you consume at the pool bar!

Would we come again? Having been to Barbados twice in the last 2 years and now here I think next time that Barbados will win. We like a holiday to feel a little 'edgier' and have missed the cultural variety that Barbados brings. However if we moved to the U.S and a short internal flight makes Sanibel an easy hop then without question we would visit again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
#3 of 19 in Sanibel Island
West Wind Inn
West Wind Inn
#5 of 19 in Sanibel Island

Been to Casa Ybel Resort? Share your experiences!