“Our Second Home” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Farmington Hills, Michigan
“Our Second Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2011

My family has owned a 3-week timeshare with Casa Ybel since 1979 and we never miss a trip unless necessary. My brother was married in front of the resort in 2009 and the ceremony and reception were breathtaking! Many of my favorite childhood memories took place here and I look forward to sharing this experience with my children someday. Shelling right out on the beach is my favorite past time, but swimming laps in the amazing pool is also a pleasure. Even when traveling through Europe last year, I could hear the waves from the golf calling us back and I will be returning shortly and hopefully every year thereafter!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ZamyZ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Philadelphia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2011

I stayed here with my family for 5 days in may. We were in a one bedroom condo, which was adequately furnished, though the mattresses were terrible. I've never slept on a mattress where I woke up with neck and back pain before this! Our shower was backed up the first day we arrived. Essentially, standing in 3 inches of water for a shower. Maintenance arrived quickly to respond to the call and somewhat cleared the clog, but noted that they would need to call a plumber to snake the drain. A plumber did not arrive during our stay. Secondly, the toilet did not flush properly and would either back up with each flush or require multiple flushes. From conversations with a few folks who regularly stay at Casa Ybel, I think we were just put in a condo that hadn't been well maintained (far end away from the pool).
We traveled with our 3 young children. The pool is lovely as are the grounds. I agree with the other reviews about the lack of shade poolside, so you should be prepared for that. We had ordered an umbrella package for the beach, but did not take advantage as the kids preferred the pool area.
Upon check-out, I was surprised to see that my original deposit had not been applied to the account ($800). When I questioned this, the woman indicated that she had just printed it wrong. My only concern about this is had I signed it, I would've been charged an extra $800!
I would recommend doing your grocery shopping prior to crossing the bridge into Sanibel. The costs of groceries and alcohol is crazy!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank CathyPhiladelphia
Durango, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

We loved this resort. So low key and beautiful. Our upstairs one bedroom was SPOTLESS and kept that way by the friendly and efficient staff. We had an ocean view and could walk out to the amazing beach in a matter of minutes. We loved our screened in veranda as a place to relax. The shell washing stations were pretty funny but very educational- you could match up your found treasures with the pictures to see what your shell was called. The front desk was very friendly and helpful. There was plenty of free parking and some spots were even shady!! They had a great special offering a free night if you stayed a certain number of days. We wished we would have been able to stay longer!! We didn't go to their restaurant-although we heard it was good. We loved our big kitchen in our unit!

Room Tip: check the resort website for specials-we did!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank bonnieU
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2011

Have to agree with a highly-negative review I just read about the treatment of a wedding party at the resort in May 2011. My Wife and I were staying at the resort around the same time (for a birthday getaway) and my experience with the staff was absolutely horrible. We have been travelling US and international destinations for about 20 years in all price ranges and this was one of my top 3 worst experiences in that time. That's saying something since our trips in those first 10 years were generally on the low end of the budget spectrum while Casa Ybel is in the upper end of the budget spectrum (we had spent 4 days at the Ritz in Naples FL prior to driving to Sanibel and prices were comparable). Also, this is the first negative review I have ever posted on-line.

I have 2 issues with this property. One relates to amenities and the other relates to the way staff treated me and my wife. Our stay was 3-days in late May, 2011. Daily weather was about 92, mostly sunny, and humid (probably typical for this time of year). I chose the resort because the web site makes the property look nice, pool appeared to be within sight of the Gulf, and the location seemed pretty good (private but convenient to Sanibel restaurants). Our plan was to find a shady location poolside to relax during the heat of the day, enjoy some beach walking in the late afternoon, followed by excursions into town in the evening for dinner. We discovered that the pool area offers virtually no shade. There are 2 umbrellas next to the children's pool that shade a total of 4 chairs. For a resort of this size, that does not give you good odds of scoring one of these 4 chairs (we were unable to do so on any of our 3 days). There are 2 trellis structures next to the main pool that are intended to provide "shade" to guests. We tried sitting under the trellis and, with summer-season sun that is nearly directly overhead, found that you get pretty direct sun exposure and lots of heat. My solution was to move an unused patio umbrella that had been folded up next to the poolside restaurant to a nearby secluded location on the pool deck. For me, this solved the problem and we would have been happy to just relax and read. We were quickly confronted by a staff member that did not identify herself (she seemed to be working the (shaded) towel booth, but I learned later that she is the director of activities (pool, tennis, etc.). We were told that we could not use the umbrella (my Wife was told, I had not been present at the time). I suggested that we stay put because we didn't really have an alternate option and I would talk to anyone who came by again to take issue with the situation. Well, all seemed ok until around 20 minutes later when a second staff member arrived and told us that "I guess I have to be the bad guy". We were told that we could not have an umbrella on the pool deck. I described the trouble we had finding shade and that I had never been to a beach resort where we could not find a place to sit out of the sun. He told us that we could get shade at the beach. I told him that I did not feel it was reasonable to expect guests to have to rent chairs and an umbrella at the beach. I understand that this is typical but, again, for people who don't want to pay for a beach rental there should be some type of no-cost alternative at the pool. This person, who I understand is the facility director (grounds, etc.) told me that he would take care of us and provide us a place on the beach at no charge. Seemed like a reasonable solution so we spent the day at the beach and were happy. Umbrella and chairs were taken away at 5pm as noted in the other review and it was still around 90 degrees and sunny. I thought this was very poor policy and, had I paid $30 for the chairs and umbrella I would have been very disappointed.

We checked out the next day (checkout at 11am). When I reviewed the bill, I discovered a $30 charge (actually $26.50) for the beach rental. I brought the issue to the attention of the desk attendant and explained that this was an error. I was told they could not remove the charge. I asked to speak to a supervisor. To my surprise, the person that responded was the activities director. She recalled our incident from the previous day and told me that the facility director told her nothing of our arrangement and that she would not reverse the charge. I asked her to speak with the facility director who would confirm our discussion and she told me he was not working that day. I asked to speak to her supervisor. She told me she was the supervisor. I insisted there must be someone at a higher level she could speak with. She said her supervisor was not working today. I reiterated all of the concerns I raised above, assured her that the discussion with the facility director did indeed happen and that I was not trying to get out of paying a $26.50 charge for no legitimate reason. I expected that, after laying out the background, that someone in her capacity who was running the resort that day would go ahead and reverse the charge. She said no. I told her I was not going to sign off on the charge and insisted she contact her supervisor. She made the call and I insisted on speaking directly to this person (resort director). The resort director told me that she was not aware of the situation and would not reverse the charge. I asked if she could contact the facility director to confirm our discussion. She said she would try. Again, I would have expected the charge to have been reversed at this point, but gave them the opportunity to follow up. When I returned 15 minutes later to confirm the outcome, I was told that the facility director indicated that he had told us we could use the beach chairs and umbrellas for a "couple hours" but that we had used them all day and would therefore have to pay. First, that was never the arrangement. Second, that does not make sense when the whole reason for our initial confrontation was due to the fact that we could not find shade. Had we been told we could only sit for a couple of hours, I would have taken issue with that at the time. Again, I could not believe that this $26.50 charge had turned into such an ordeal. I told the activity director that she was going to force me to elevate the dispute with American Express and it was going to turn into a huge ordeal. At this point I was obviously agitated. It was not about a $26.50 charge, it was about the way I was being treated...essentially told I was a liar. After all of this drama, the activity director said something about it "being sunny in Florida" as if I should have expected this and not booked my trip if I was looking for shade, took the charge off without another word. How upsetting.

Our flight out was not until 6:30pm and we had planned to stay at the resort and enjoy a little more relaxation time. We have done this at most every beach resort we've ever been to. Checkout, put the bags n the car or hold them at the desk, and be told by resort staff to feel free enjoy the day on property. After our experience, there was no way this could be done, not to mention that there was nowhere to sit due to the lack of shade. I was so upset by this whole experience, that I even called the resort back to try and speak with someone who might understand why I was so upset. I was not looking for any concessions, just wanted to let someone in a very high place know what happened because the type of service I received is bad for business. All I was able to accomplish was speak again with the resort director and I felt like I was just getting some artificial sympathy. Nothing will be done, I'm certain.

As far as alternative recommendations, I regret that we did not stay in Captiva. After exploring the island for a couple nights, I found the far end of Captiva to be very nice. Best beaches, sunset viewing (can't see the sunset at Casa Ybel as it must face too far south), and a really charming street (Andy Rosse Lane) where we found a great little restaurant (RC Otters) with patio seating, live music, and amazing cheap food. I'd check into the Tween Waters Inn or the South Seas Resort. I had looked at both when researching our trip but, for some regrettable reason, thought Casa Ybel would be a better option. These places actually looked pretty good and are in the best location on the island as far as I'm concerned.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
31 Thank Craig_SD
CasaYbel-Mgr, Manager at Casa Ybel Resort, responded to this review, July 29, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor and for sharing your comments regarding your visit to Casa Ybel Resort. I am terribly sorry to hear of the challenges you faced during your stay and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations. We are committed to restoring your relationship with Casa Ybel and would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience. I can be reached at 239.472.3145 I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Froilan Ramirez
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2011

I recently got married at Casa Ybel and the Jessica and Jennifer were fantastic. Our wedding was picture perfect, thanks to Jessica and Jennifer, as well as the beautiful grounds.
With that said, that was the only pleasant experience we had at Casa Ybel. My father is disabled and when my mother made the reservations in August, she clearly told the employee at reservations that he is in a wheel chair (he had back surgery and never fully recovered) and would need a disabled room that was on ground level. A week before my parents were to arrive, my mother called to confirm when they could check in to find out that they were not in a disabled room. After multiple phone calls and endless time wasted, Casa Ybel assured my Mom that they were now in a disabled accessible room.
When they checked in, the "disabled room" was up a flight of stairs that was 11 steps. My father struggled up those stairs (w/ the help of my brother-in-law) to use the restroom. Once he was in safely, my brother-in-law went to the front desk to see why my parents were in a room that required 11 steps to get to; after a discussion with the girl at the reception desk, she informed my brother, and I quote, "Well....Sanibel isn't really a disabled friendly island." I am still appalled at this comment. If your resort is not disabled friendly, then example that when a reservation was made months and months in advance.
My parents had to switch to a new room that did have a ramp 2 days later.
Overall, there were multiple families and couples who stayed at Casa Ybel for our wedding. More than half had to switch their rooms mid stay and were never told in advance that they would have to move. Not only did they have to move their groceries, clothes, etc (Casa Ybel did offer to help move), but check out time is 10:00 and check in time is 3:00. Our guests were "homeless" for those 5 hours. There was never an apology or explanation as to why they had to move rooms.
My husband's family (a total of 7) were in a suite that did not have maid service, which they understood. What no one understood is why a family of 7 would be given 4 bath towels and were told that they would have to pay for a "towel package" if they wanted enough towels for the family. There was no washer or dryer in the suite to wash towels, either.
You have to pay to rent bikes and you have to pay for beach chairs that they whisk away before 5:00. Ridiculous.
I've been traveling with my family to Sanibel for over 25 years and this was my one and only stay at Casa Ybel. Never. Again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
22 Thank SanibelSuggestions
CasaYbel-Mgr, Manager at Casa Ybel Resort, responded to this review, June 3, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your Casa Ybel Resort stay. We're glad to read your wedding and event coordination was a success and you find the property beautiful despite the error on our part with your parents accomodation. We apologize for not providing the correct accomodation for your father at the beginning of your stay. There are six two bedroom suites with no stairs within the suite and ramp access to only four of those suites. The reservation was created for one of these suites with no stairs inside but the error was on our part regarding the ramp access. As you noted, we corrected your accomodation location having been completely sold out for the first two nights of your visit. We remember you and were touched to see your father rehearse his walk down the aisle the day before your wedding. We hope you will reconsider and and allow us to regain your trust in the near future.
Ocala, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2011

condo view of the beach was wonderful - sound of the waves is so soothing. condo was comfortable, roomy - wifi was excellent, new flat screen tv's excellent. pool area is incredible (HUGE pool, + kids pool + hot tub) - all impeccably clean and no chlorine smell!

from casa ybel you can ride bikes down to the east end of the island (light house, fishing pier, GREAT breakfast place called the lighthouse), or 'north' up into the JN Ding Darling nature preserve (wonderful serene scenery and wildlife - birds, turtles, maybe a dozing gator - don't worry!), or just up to the terrific supermarket / hardware store called baileys.

the drive up to captiva is slow and takes a while (beware speed traps!) but it makes you just slow down in general and relax... and the homes and views on the way are spectacular. recommend doc ford's restaurant nearby - surprisingly excellent and innovative food for a 'sports bar'.

Room Tip: recommend condos on west side - better view
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank bitkahuna
CasaYbel-Mgr, Manager at Casa Ybel Resort, responded to this review, April 21, 2011
Thank you very much for your excellent reveiw of Casa Ybel Resort and for sharing your beachfront view and vacation tips. We've had FABULOUS weather this winter and are so glad you were here to enjoy it with us. We appreciate your visit and hope to welcome you again upon your next visit to Sanibel Island.
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2011

We stayed here 4 nights in March. Since we usually stay at hotels that have more "full service" than Casa Ybel, we were a little apprehensive. However, if you go in with the right attitude - Sanibel is essentially self-service condos not hotels, you will be just fine, as we were. The resort itself is on a beautiful stretch of beach and is landscaped nicely. The pool was fine, if a bit crowded owing to spring break (the Island was also very crowded). When we were not playing golf or attending spring training games in Fort Meyers, we stayed at the beach in the chairs and under the umbrella we had requested be set up near our suite. No breakfast at the resort? Actually, a benefit, because we went to some really great, cute places on the Island (Over Easy Cafe and Island Cow) that were no doubt better than any hotel buffet. We loved the laid back/"retro" feeling -- having bicycles available, playing shuffleboard, and having the little tiki bar for lunch. We never even made it over to the tennis courts -- one of the reasons we selected Casa Ybel in the first place! What else made my son happy? Two flat screen tvs and wireless internet. In addition, the staff is very nice and (special kudos to Amy and Lily) has been very helpful in helping me track down two packages of golf clubs that were misdirected there (by UPS and LaPlaya Resort in Naples) after our departure, and in getting them back home to us. (Let's hope we finally get them!!)

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor room -- easier beach access.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank nycmom1
CasaYbel-Mgr, Manager at Casa Ybel Resort, responded to this review, April 12, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time and leaving such a great review of your stay at Casa Ybel. We appreciate your visit and look forward to welcoming you again upon your next trip to Sanibel Island.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanibel Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,237 reviews
Sanibel Moorings
Sanibel Moorings
#1 of 19 in Sanibel Island

Been to Casa Ybel Resort? Share your experiences!