“Lovely beachside mini-resort”

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Los Angeles
“Lovely beachside mini-resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for 5 days and would definitely go back. We had a room with a view of the gulf. The room itself was fine -- it had a little kitchenette and screened-in balcony. The decor of the room was ho-hum and needed a little updating (e.g. the carpet was a little stained). However, it wasn't that bad. The grounds included a nice pool, private beach, tennis courts, outdoor bar, restaurant and on-site bike rentals. Unfortunately, there was no jacuzzi. The front desk staff was very nice. Great shelling on the beach. We had fun at happy hour. Beautiful sunsets and we saw dolphins once from the beach. Quite idyllic.

Stayed January 2007
6 Thank Yakkha & Zack

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Twin Cities Area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2007

I just returned from my wedding at the West Wind Inn. I arrived on Feb 7 and stayed until 12th with my wedding being on the 10th. My whole experience was wonderful. I had several friends and family members that stayed at the West Wind Inn with us. The wedding was right on the beach which is gorgeous. The rooms were nice and had been remodeled. I had a few guests stay in one building that hadn't yet been remodeled but they were still nice. The buildings were a little older, but the remodel was nice. The grounds, pool and beach were also beautiful. The beach did have some red algae and it would have been nice if it had been raked up, but it wasn't awful. There were so many shells on the beach that were beautiful. Even some of the guys that were making fun of us for shelling ended up doing it as the weekend went on. The people staying at the hotel were a little older then I expected, but it made for a very quiet and relaxing time. I only ate at the resturant on the property once for breakfast. It was fine, but nothing special. Plus the island, and Captiva, have so many wonderful, delicious resturants it is hard to compete. The staff was friendly from start to finish and I had been working with them for quite a while to get everything planned. The only problem I can say I had was with the person who was helping to book the rooms for my guests. Apparently she wasn't that helpful for the guests that wanted to stay extra days, which was something I was told was fine when I selected the West Wind Inn. I would absolutely go back again and would recommend the West Wind Inn to anyone looking for a beautiful location to relax. Just remember to get out and enjoy the island it has a lot to offer and some wonderful resturants.

Stayed February 2007
4 Thank soccergirl6
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2007

Second time, impulsive booking, just for four days...but it was again great. Friendliest staff, quiet non-crowded inn right off the beach at the far end of West Gulf Drive -- away from the other commercial venues.
We had a larger room this time -- nice, clean, full kitchenette with everything you need to eat in. Enjoyed breakfast at The Normandie restaurant on site -- alas, server, the Great Fabienne -- it was her last day, ---we were lucky to see her again.
Food there is perfect. Great Bloody Mary's and coffee.
Red algae from surf this January but no matter, shells (lots of calico scallops, some live and some not). It was cool the first day and a half, but it warmed up. The sunsets were brilliant. The pool was warm and refreshing, never crowded -- although I have to say, although cute to a point, sugar-laden over-excited preschoolers unnerve me -- there were a few. Oh well.
Saw some of the other regulars: Mr. Peterson, God Bless him and his lovely wife Anne and, of course, Janice the barmaid, always accommodating and full of info on island happenings.
The Friday night Happy Hour shindig with a folk singer was a bit lame, but we enjoyed it nonetheless with half-priced drinks and watching the small crowd.
Ate at The Sanibel Steakhouse one night -- very upscale and pricey, but wonderful food, wine and service. We also tried Gasparillas Grill this time -- there were some obnoxious people sitting nearby -- ya know the type who live in their own little bubble and were screaming across the dining room and running the servers to death. The food there was average. We were going to go to Ellington's for dinner and Jazz, but decided to keep dining expenses at a minimum.
And, Doc Fords -- can't beat there mussels and Shake Shrimp. Yum! Made many a trip to Bailey's General Store which people say isn't a "grocery store" but it is -- we bought nibblies and lunchmeats and stuff to the room, so we saved some money that way. We did do Timbers again on our last night. We had more fun the first time, but we did see Julie the waitress who is a hoot.

Did Ding Darling again -- the White Pelicans and the Rosette Spoonbills were fabulous to see. Drove into Captiva, meandered around the island via rental car -- we considered a canoe trip off Tarpon Bay but balked. ... Relaxing is the key in Sanibel -- there's really no reason to leave the island at all. They are still working on the road construction down there and it costs $6 each time you re-enter the island, so we stayed. We don't fish, the airboat rides through the channels to see wildlife seems stupid because of the noise the fans make just scare off the animals, but, It was so nice to see the green and feel the breezes and look at the stars.

We love the West Wind and, I was hesitant to write yet another review for fear the secret will leak out completely and it will never be quiet and accessible again, but I wanted to share and hope the owners will see how much we appreciate their good service and their beautiful inn.
Martin and John

Stayed January 2007
8 Thank MJDRN
seattle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2007

We booked the West Wind based on reviews on tripadvisor and the location on the Island. We were a little worried about red algae and this area of the island seemed to to be less affected. The pool was fantastic and my sons stayed in it for hours and enjoyed swimming at night with the changing color lights. It was very large with plenty of lounge chairs and could lounge in the sun until sunset. Our family (husband, sons 11 & 17) enjoyed playing shuffleboard and being able to walk out to the beach from our room and being able to run back to our room for anything. We found the grounds to be great with lots to do, pool, tennis, shuffleboard but felt a little "nickel & dimed" with charges to rent chairs and bikes when many other hotels on the island provide these free. I think staying at one of those hotels with slightly more charge/day actually would come out cheaper than renting the bike & chairs. We found many wonderful shells right on this beach but tried a few others on the island with little success. The staff were friendly & helpful in checking in online and printing out our boarding passes. We stayed in the Driftwood bldg which is close to the beach & pool and had a side view of the gulf. I think if we had not come from a condo-like hotel prior to our stay we would have enjoyed the room more. It felt cramped with the standard 2 beds and 1 TV. The rooms were not as clean as our prior accomodation though not dirty either. I would probably stay at either a cheaper hotel and have lesser expectations of the room and what's included in my room rate or more expensive and have more things included and a better room.

• Liked — The pool and the beach
  • Disliked — Cleanliness and size of the room, extra cost for renting chairs/bikes
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank goodsam_pam
florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2006

the beach was great, quiet and nice chairs to lounge around. il\ke to beachwalk, which I did right outside my door every morning and evening. No one bothered me here. The pool is clean and clear, and beach toys abound. yet it is big enough to swim around in, and open later in the evening for your enjoyment. there is a restaraunt on property which is reasonably priced, so you really do not have go leave. a bar is situated above the pool and looking out into the ocean there is heavenly. there is a gift shop for browsing and books, and a paper in the morning. all in all a great place to stay with good beds and a good night sleep with the lanai open to the breeze and the surf.

Stayed April 2004
7 Thank eveningtide
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2006

I researched my trip to find miles and miles of beautiful beach, and found it here. A few steps from your room, and you are at the sea. Walking morning and evening for seashells and dolphin watching, day trips to Sea Shell museum, and Ding Darling wildlife refuge. The rooms have a full kitchen for cooking, and are very clean. Everything is supplied so don't bring dishes like I did, save the luggage space for bringing home seashells.
The hotel was lovely, comfy and clean and very quiet. However, the sea is having problems with red tide and some enterococcus bacteria so there were swimming advisories posted. There is a pool however, for swimming. So very sad that our oceans are dying, because it is so beautiful. If you are looking for miles of uncrowded, unobstructed white beach covered with seashells, this is the place to walk for hours in beauty and clear your mind.

• Liked — close proximity to ocean
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
4 Thank solosojourn
Cape Coral, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2006

This was one of the best weekends I have ever spent on the island. I live 35 minutes away from Sanibel but needed a quick getaway. This was the most relaxing, enjoyable weekend ever. Room #202 Is so beautiful. Open your curtains to have the best view of the gulf of Mexico ever. Every morning and night, we would sit out on the screened lanai and listen to the waves crash. The lanai is not huge but who needs it to be when your sitting down in a chair. The hooks on the lanai are such a great idea to hang that bathing suit or towel. The beach is literally 10 steps away. The pool is so relaxing and clean. There are bathrooms right next to the pool please unlimites amount of towels for your convience. The poolside cafe is great. The food is fresh and the drinks are so refreshing on a hot day. There are plenty of lounge chairs that are very clean. Being a local, this is the best location on the island. As far as eating, Jerrys has the best breakfast but so does the Lighthouse Cafe. As far as italian restaurants, La Vigna is incredible. The server is so good but the food is even better. They make it fresh to order but you wouldn't even know it, hardly had to wait.

The West WInd Inn is the best place to go for the money and view. If you don't enjoy this place, you may be alittle to high maintence. Stay and enjoy, you won't be sorry..

• Liked — View of the gulf
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Tips/Secrets — As must see!!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
Sanibel Inn
Sanibel Inn
#9 of 19 in Sanibel Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,253 reviews

Been to West Wind Inn? Share your experiences!