“Just okay”
Review of West Wind Inn

West Wind Inn
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Hotel location is decent and beach is nice but room is very small and beds are uncomfortable. The pillows are the worst I have experienced; slept with three and it was still questionable. Fridge was noisy and the air conditioner was loud. I am glad it was cool enough to go without it. Hotel lacks amenities for its overall star rating. It might be a good choice for retirement age vacationers but if I could do over I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank Taceycakes
Janet F, Manager at West Wind Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and for letting us know about your experience. We try very hard to provide a quality stay at a reasonable rate. Your comments will give us something to think about and improve if possible..

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Nov. 17, 2012 in Room #214 which cost $165. Staying one night to visit friends on Sanibel. The bed was horrible...no sleep most of the night. KS broken down on both sides with big lump in the middle. Knew the experience was not going to be the best when we were confronted at the Front Desk by 3 sour faced women who could not have been less friendly or helpful with directions. The room itself was clean and cold (with A/C running at 60) and "micro" in size. But for $165 on Sanibel, the weekend before T'giving you are not going to get Ritz-rooms. I did expect a relatively firm bed. Breakfast was reasonable and very good at attached restaurant.
There are a lot better places to stay on Sanibel at the same prices. Many are not even listed on TripAdvisor so call the Sanibel Lodging central office for reservations.

Room Tip: Maybe the rooms with kitchenettes are better???
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank gwengineer

You are right that it is hard to beat Sanibel as a location. And we are happy to be right on the beach in a quiet area. We do appreciate yet your comments. If we don't learn about disappointments, we can't do anything to fix them. Thank you.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

but we were lucky to say yes to the price not knowing where we were going to stay due to a Hotel website and how lucky were we!!!! The West Wind Inn was amazing! Close to the beach/ pool and our room was big/ clean/ we had a screened enclosed patio and a place to eat breakfast and lunch.
When we asked if the room was available for another night, we were told it was. When I asked if, they would honor the rate we paid, the women asked her boss who looked at our price and said "NO". That was "NO" without any explanations or an apology. We all felt alittle akward,atleast I did/ maybe she was having a bad day ..... so we only stayed one night! But it was a great day and night! EVERYONE ELSE THERE WAS WONDERFUL ..SO THAT IS WHY I RATED SERVICE A VERY GOOD VERSUS EXCELLENT.
We would stay there again,...only after trying to get another great rate!!!!! :)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I called in advance to book. The conversation was chaotic, I had no idea whether I had booked for the dates I requested or not. The lady at the end of the phone was curt and unhelpful when I requested a quiet room...'well, all our rooms are quiet,' and a king bed (which was offered as a selection on their website), 'oh, a king bed? Well I don't know if we have a quiet room and a king bed.' I was staying for a conference but wanted to arrive a few days prior to it 'Oh you're arriving *before* it starts? Oh... .' - as if this was a problem.
Afterwards I left a voicemail to confirm the dates, to which I never received a response.
On the drive to the hotel from Fort Myers I warned my husband that we a) might have no reservation at all and b) We'd probably been put in some dark garret and c) the front desk staff was unhelpful.
It turned out we did have a correct reservation but we had indeed been put in a dark garret (#228) and the front desk staff - all three of them - went out of their way to continue to be unhelpful. When I saw where the room was on their map I asked to move to a room overlooking the beach.
I was told 'You asked for a quiet room with a king bed and that's what you've got.'
When I asked again to move I was told we could not as the hotel was full.
When we got to the actual room I could have cried. It was dark, dark, and more dark - all sun and sunlight blocked by a tree in front of the balcony. My husband went down to ask again to move and was told, again, that the hotel was full. He persisted, and was told there was a room further down the block (without a tree) but that was only available for a couple of nights, then we'd have to move back to #228. My husband explained that the room was dark and as I would be spending a good deal of time in it perhaps they could move me to one with more light - we'd be willing to pay more if necessary. Their response was 'What will your wife be doing in the room?'
We should have moved hotels but we didn't have time to look round for somewhere else. I also wanted to stay in the same hotel as the rest of the attendees at the conference.
I never got my room cleaned in the 8 days I was there - housekeeping works to an apparently inflexible schedule whereby my room was cleaned around 2pm - when I was always back in it. I ended up doing the cleaning and emptying the bins myself.
The bathroom was tiny - along the lines of 'if you open the shower door, it almost hits the toilet, if you open the bathroom door, it almost hits the toilet, so there's a fair amount of opening and closing of doors and stepping over the toilet. There's no bath but the shower is large and good. It also leaked all over the floor.
Other stuff -
We had breakfast in the Normandie restaurant once and it was good (omelette and oatmeal). We had dinner there once (only available on a Friday and Saturday nights) and it was indifferent/good. At dinner the waitress was lovely, at breakfast the guy was harassed.
Good things about the room - the a/c & heating appliance work effectively if noisily (you couldn't sleep through it), there are a small refrigerator and microwave. There are tumblers (2) wine glasses (2), cups (2), tea bags (Liptons, black) and coffeemaker, a large bowl but no plates or cutlery.
There is a boiler in the somewhat make-shift closet, along with an iron and ironing board. There are plenty of hangers.
There was a strong wireless signal around the pool but a poor signal in the room. There is a computer room (you get the key from the front desk; you're allowed in for 30mins - they time you at the front desk). You can print in the computer room (best to email docs to yourself and print from email); I tried downloading the printer software but the wireless signal was so weak it hadn't downloaded anything after 20minutes.
Overall, if the front desk staff hadn't been so lousy and my room so dark, I would have enjoyed the stay. As it was, when I checked out they asked me 'Did you enjoy your stay', 'I did not,' I replied. They didn't bother to ask why, which just about sums them up.

Room Tip: Avoid #228, pay extra and get a room that overlooks the sea. Or go somewhere else - there are loads...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank GeorgeEliot64
Reviewed November 7, 2012

the Family (2adults2kids) stayed here for 4 nights in October and the Hotel fit our need just great. We had never been to Sanibel so picked the hotel based on reviews for our budget range. Checking in the front desk lady was very nice and helpful. We requested the gulf front 2nd floor room. The full kitchen was very helpful-new oven/stove, microwave & fridge. Also new granite countertops and it came with all items we needed for our daily meals. We went to Jerry's & Baileys daily to get prepared & other food, very good & great prices on the prepared food so we did not try any resturants. The bathroom was small and had an old/humid smell, but I think that comes with the age of the property and the fact that it was very humid outside. The 2 beds were ok-we all slept so thats a bonus! They really should get new spreads though. The room also had a nice size dresser, chair and table with 4 chairs. Overall the room was not as big as we would have liked, but it did the job-if your planning on spending a lot of time in your room and have more than 2-3 people it might be tight. The Major bonus about this room location was that you can just stand in your room and watch the dolphins swim/jump on by all day long, also the sunsets.
We did not use the pool but did see it, looked very nice, we did use the shell hut to clean all the shells we picked up-AMAZING SHELLING! We all just spend hours walking on the beach & swimming. We took a boat Tour from Waterwoman Adventures 239-410-0064, it was the highlight of the vacation-Louise Alt is the captain and we just told her were we wanted to go and what we wanted to see, she was very nice and knowledgable(she does have her dogs on the boat-fyi) Her price was far better than any other tours we called and we just had our family on the boat which is just what we wanted. Did visit the Ding Darling Wildlife Ref, very interesting and informative-the kids loved it.
The hotel overall could use some improvements, but we were expecting that based on other reviews. I'm a very clean, don't like to be grossed out person and I did just fine there. We would stay again. One last thing - no-see-ums - get Skin So Soft b4 you even set foot on the beach at sunrise or sunset or wear long pants/sleeves - that really was the only bad part of our 5 day trip to Sanibel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Colette S
Janet F, Manager at West Wind Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2012

We re so happy that we fulfilled your expectations on Sanibel. It truly is the place for shells. Your advice about Skin So Soft for no-see-ums is well advised. It's just the way things are along the Gulf coast. "No No-see-ums" is another product, available on the island, that works. Please come and see us again. The unused pool is waiting for you.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stayed here in October 2012, the staff couldn't have been nicer, they gave us a wonderful room near the pool, and we couldn't have thought of anything that they didn't provide for us, from the completely furnished kitchen to the daily newspaper delivered to our door each day. The room was spotless and the pool area was clean as was everyplace we went at this Inn. We will defintely be back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Shirley L
Janet F, Manager at West Wind Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Thank you for your generous review. It gives us all, staff and management, great gratification to see all those "stars" and hear about how much you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

When we checked in the ladies in the reception was very kind, but it did smell of urin which made us a bit suspicious!
In the room we discovered that where was hair all over the floor in the bathroom and also between the the bags. We did complain and was offered a worse room, so we decided to clean the floor ourselves until the cleaning staff could finished it the next morning. When we returned from our trip around the island the hair was still there and we decided to leave the hotel a day before planned. When we complained about it, they did not take any notice or said sorry.
The hotel was old and the beach was nothing speciel. The water was stinky and kind of red, but that has nothing to do with the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
#9 of 20 in Sanibel Island
Waterside Inn on the Beach
Waterside Inn on the Beach
#7 of 20 in Sanibel Island

Been to West Wind Inn? Share your experiences!