“Great vacation!”
Review of West Wind Inn

West Wind Inn
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Reviewed April 27, 2011

My wife and I recently returned to the West Wind Inn to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. We honeymooned at the West Wind in 1981. Ironically, we were given the same room! To our surprise, the room had been elarged into the only suite in the hotel. The room (235) was wonderfull with a full kitchen. The Inn has added a restaurant (great breakfast) and a pool bar since our last stay. The staff was very courteous, and the ability to rent bikes at the hotel lobby was convenient. One tip-if you want a beach set up (umbrella and two lounge chairs-$20 fee), you need to sign up early because of limited supply. We were lucky the days we wanted them, but others were fustrated. We found that many set empty as people had signed up for the entire week, but rarely showed up. The real star attraction of the West Wind Inn is the AAA+ location. The Inn is on the less traveled part of the island with a beautiful beach. I would recommend the West Wind Inn if you want a quiet, relaxing beach vacation.

Room Tip: I used the West Wind Inn website to reserve room.
1  Thank FWG1887
Write a ReviewReviews (2,061)

Reviewed April 26, 2011

Our room faced the Gulf right on the Beach. The room was super clean, beds were amazingly comfortable (pillow top mattresses).

There is a restaurant on-site, good food with great prices.

The value can't be beat!

We will go back!

1  Thank amh4959weston
Reviewed April 26, 2011

This is an awesome hotel - pretty grounds, great staff, great view from our room, wonderful pool and amenities and a very convenient location. We loved being able to rent umbrellas and lounge chairs for the beach, bikes, and we liked the fact that there were washers and dryers onsite. The restaurant next door had fabulous food, and the whole area is beautiful. The staff, including Iran, was fantastic - very friendly and helpful. The price we received was excellent as well. We stayed there five nights and we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Book before holiday break.
Reviewed April 22, 2011

Just got back from our 6 night stay on Sanibel Island. We had stayed at the West Wind Inn a few times before but it was before the hurricane so we didn't know what to expect. There were some updates but it really was quite the same. This is a terrific place for families to stay while on Sanibel. The rooms are not luxurious but they are clean and comfortable. The beach is wonderful and you can rent chairs and an umbrella if you want. The pool is clean and well maintained. Breakfast at the Normadie Cafe is wonderful and the staff is friendly. I would not suggest this hotel for a romantic getaway unless you are there off season. There are tons of families with kids. I would definitely stay here again and I would recommend to friends. Sanibel Island is the best!!

Room Tip: Ask for Gulf Front room (Buttonwood/Azalea bldg)
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2011

We just returned from our Spring Break trip to the West Wind Inn and we were pleased to find that the reviews seemed right on! Based on what I had read on this site, it had an "no frills" older motel feel, nothing fancy, great location, and right on the beach and it was just that...and we were thrilled!

We paid half the price that I saw of many other places on the island so we didn't mind that the room wasn't the newest and fanciest place we ever stayed in because the room was simple and clean, the screened balcony was wonderful with a view to the beach that was only steps away, a FANTASTIC pool that the kids just LOVED, a fabulous pool bar with good food and awesome smoothies, perfect beach front for shelling and all at a reasonable price...what more could we want?

Sure, the hotel we stayed at on the East Coast had fluffier towels, nicer pillows, bigger and more comfy beds with updated decor but for this casual and laid back family...it's about location location location...we don't spend much time in our room, we are out exploring!

The only thing I was wish was really different was I wish it had a hot tub for my skin and bones little girl to warm up at night in but we loved it!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 2, 2011

I searched online for a Sanibel or Captiva hotel, and though a little high for my budget, West Wind Inn was a decent deal for San-Cap. I booked through Expedia for a lower than published rate. When my husband and I arrived, he asked me to try for a ground floor room. I am forever grateful to Iran, the desk clerk, who talked me out of the only available ground floor room on the street side of the property, in favor of the second floor room on the beach side which he had us in. The place was at near capacity, and I got a room overlooking the Gulf of Mexico. The website promised me a microwave and mini-fridge, but I got a full kitchen. The room is clean, comfortable and has a screaming fast wi-fi internet connection. I should also mention the screened balcony where I sat in my pj's with my morning coffee. Oh, and speaking of coffee, there was a full size coffee pot waiting for us with half-and-half, sugar splenda, caf and de-caf coffee, tea bags, cocoa, popcorn. The bed gave us a comfortable night's sleep, and the a/c chilled the room down to my frigid expectations. My husband, who prefers a warmer sleeping environment was pleased to find an extra blanket in the closet. We both slept good!
This hotel is only two miles from the Darling Wildlife Preserve which has four miles of biking trails. Bicycles are the preferred mode of transport on the Islands.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the 101-108 or 201-208 range
Reviewed April 2, 2011

The only con was the size of our bed. We're used to a king and this wasn't, but we made very late reservations and had to take what was available. This was the only hotel we could find that would allow us to come for 5 days, most hotels require Saturday to Saturday and that wasn't convenient for us. Besides the bed, we were in love. Great location for us, brand new bikes on site to rent for $25 each for 3 days. The hotel has a restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch (and supplies lunch to the pool bar) and dinner (dinner is Fri and Sat in-season only). After biking to breakfast the first morning we decided to try the hotel for breakfast the next day. It was the best breakfast anywhere. White tablecloths, cloth napkins, and FANTASTIC food at great prices. So when lunch rolled around, we decided to order by the pool rather than go anywhere, since breakfast had been so good. Bingo, we've got a winner...lunch was excellent. Husband had a grouper salad, better than the grouper salad we had at one of the well known spots. I had a BLT wrap with avacado and edamame salad. Wow. From that day forward we had both breakfast and lunch right at the hotel. Much more relaxing that getting out with the crowds, and better quality and price. What a find. Besides that, we loved our room location #243 with a view of the pool and the gulf. The laundry facility was spotlessly clean and convenient. We would go back here in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
#18 of 19 in Sanibel Island
Sanibel Inn
Sanibel Inn
#8 of 19 in Sanibel Island

Been to West Wind Inn? Share your experiences!