“Spring Break Getaway”

Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Hudson, Ohio
“Spring Break Getaway”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

With so much to do in the area, I only wish we had had more time on the hotel grounds and lovely beach! Ding Darling, deep sea fishing, a day trip to Everglades National Park, fishing on the pier. Hotel room was very clean and really appreciated having a microwave and frig. A bit pricey, but not unexpected for the prime dates.

Friendly staff at the front desk and the Tiki Bar (poolside lunch and fruity drinks). David at the Starfish Grill was exceptional with his cheery attitude and offered some great local tips and "must do's". We were even able to bring back a grouper freshly fileted from our deep sea fishing day and the chef at the Grill prepared it for a nominal fee. Lush gardens and fountains near the front of the property, but many rooms have only a parking lot view. KIds loved the ping pong table and hammocks by the beach. Beach chaise lounges placed on the beach early with towels. Front desk gives $5.00 off coupons for meals.

2 Thank Laura B
Danny A, Director of Sales at Sanibel Island Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thanks for your comments! Now that you know some of what Sanibel & Captiva islands are all about, hopefully, you'll plan a longer stay.
danny@sanibelbeachresort.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Wisconsin
Reviewed March 29, 2014

This was our fourth stay to this property and we are already planning to go back next year. We rented two rooms to accommodate our extended family. Although they were unable to meet our adjoining room request, we were next door to each other. The hotel is not perfect, but there are so many positives, we can easily overlook the little things. The pool area is very nice, well-stocked with chairs, tables, towels and a couple of cabanas. The poolside bar and grill offer excellent lunches. We love the beach and the fact that the chairs and umbrella's are plentiful. The gentlemen, Rich, that puts the beach furniture out is very nice, friendly and accommodating. You can tell he loves his job. The outdoor areas at the hotel are so beautiful including a koi pond, hammocks, ping pong, tennis courts and more. The bathrooms in the room are very small but we don't really spend much time in the room, so that's not the end of the world. This is not an inexpensive destination but for Sanibel the price is definitely fair. This is really more of a resort than a hotel.

Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Pros:
Location on the beach.
Clean room.
Hammock.
Microwave and mini refrigerator in the room.
Friendly hotel staff.

Cons:
No elevator; therefore if you have infants please request a first floor room.
No view from your room. The window faces the parking lot.
Over priced; for $329 per night the resort should be nicer.
The sheets had stain marks and looked like they are worn out.
I left the sign requesting for my sheets to be changed and they were not. The same stain marked sheets with the paper my daughter was drawing on was within the "sheets" of the bed.
The bed spring made loud sounds every time you moved your body.
If you have a first floor room you will hear the sounds from the room above you. Every foot step and movement will be heard from below.
There were three bulbs not working in the room. My assumption is that facilities will review such things before a guest checkin.
The onsite restaurant was the least favorite of all restaurants we ate at on Sanibel Island. The Sushi was not exciting, the staff was not great, our server never brought rolls to our table, she seated us and only came back once to take our order, she did not check back to ask whether we needed anything. We kept asking the other waitress for assistance. There was a tall gentleman who was serving other tables, he seemed excellent.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank T S
Thanks for staying with us! Sorry that we made you feel you did not get a good value for your stay. I have no excuse for not having good clean sheets on your beds, it is a priority with us and I'm sorry we let you down. Regardless of the rate or season it is our job to provide excellent service. Thank you very much for sharing your comments we will use them to benefit all.
Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed March 28, 2014

We switched to this hotel a few days before arriving due to colder conditions at our original destination further north. I was skeptical because I have fairly high standards when I come to hotels and usually Holiday Inn is not on my list. However, our stay wasn't bad. I can comment that our room was extremely clean. You can tell their housekeeping staff does their job well (and I have a lot of experiences of housekeeping doing poor jobs at other higher brands!). The rooms are small and I was glad that we were only there for 3 days (anything more and we would need to rent a condo) as we have two teenage boys, but the beds were decent and it was nice to have a fridge and microwave in the room. My biggest complaint was that the bathrooms are cruiseship sized. You literally sit on the toilet and your toosh is sitting on the toilet paper roll and wall! I would recommend they switch to just a single sink and expand the "bathroom portion". The decorations are circa Miami Vice mid-80's, but like I said, the level of cleanliness outweighed the decoration.

The pool area is decent. The pool could use some updating and is rather small, but it was a nice environment. I appreciated that the pool was heated as it was chilly during our stay. Our kids were still able to swim and enjoyed the ping pong table that was in the area. The hammocks are a great plus and the beach access is right there. (with free chairs on the beach!) It was nice not to have resort fees added on.

The scenery is wonderful, it was relaxing to sit by the pool (although I can see it being easily crowded with nice weather) and I would stay again if we were going for 3 days or so. If we were staying longer, I think I would rent a condo instead that allowed us more room for a family of four.

As a FYI, there is a poolside bar that offers drinks and snacks. No one was bothered that brought in coolers or snacks poolside and there is also a restaurant onsite (which we did not try).

The staff could use some sharpening on their customer service skills. When we originally tried to check in, we were told to come back an hour later due to our room not being ready. We came back 2 hours later and it was ready, but it seemed like the two girls working the counter were not interested in helping us. I had the same problem during checkout. There were two women standing there, one walks away and says the other one will help me and the other one went into the office area behind the counter. It took several minutes for her to come back out and finally help me.
Also, expect to have one night charged to your card you held your reservation with. We left 2 days ago and there still has not been an adjustment to my deposit hold from 5 days prior. Additionally, usually I see the charge go through on checkout and my hold disappear from my credit card....still waiting!

Room Tip: Second floor would probably be best as I'm sure you can hear people above you if you're on t...
Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

We planned a one night stop over on our way back from the Everglades. This was the only hotel we could find that was available for a one night stay. I was a little hesitant due to some previous Holiday Inn experiences, but figured we could manage anywhere for one night. We were pleasantly surprised by everything! The hotel & grounds are like a private compound with a great pool and beach access, pretty areas with hammocks & chairs and even ping pong (which our kids enjoyed). Each day an attendant puts chairs on the beach for guests & beach towels are provided in guest rooms. They even have shell washing station for all beachcombers. There is a Tiki Bar that serves food poolside and a great restaurant on site, Starfish Grille. Rooms were cozy, tropically decorated and had all the necessary amenities. Bathrooms were a little small, but still manageable. Our room happened to be in the last complex facing the pool and beach area which made for easy access to everything. The staff was friendly and we enjoyed our stay here very much.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Ohiotraveler72
Danny A, Director of Sales at Sanibel Island Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Not a surprise to us. We work very hard to keep the grounds and the facilities nice and the beach, well, it's a great beach. We're glad we could accommodate you and happy you found us! Next time it won't be a surprise: you can expect great service and friendly smiles when you return! Thank you.
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

I tried to like this place. Really I did. But in the end, I couldn't get over the price I paid to stay here. For what I paid, I expected much more than I got.

ROOMS

Standard motel room with tile floors. Nothing special. Beds were comfy and there was a fridge in the room. Many of the fixtures could stand to be updated...especially given what it costs to stay here.

POOL

Very small, but clean. Nice seating and lounging area around it too....if you can get over the cigarette smoke. Yep, loved dodging the smoke with my 5 year old and my 17 month old.

The poolside bar is a ripoff. On our first day, we ordered frozen "margaritas". I put that in quotes, because what we were served couldn't qualify as a real margarita...since it had no tequila in it. It was basically blended ice and lime juice. Save time and money and go to the store down the road and get your own.

BEACH

I'm torn here. The beach could have been nice if the hotel had maintained its portion or even cleaned up a little. There was trash and cigarette butts everywhere. If you can ignore all of that, then you will really enjoy the shell hunting.

STAFF

The front desk staff was average. Not overly friendly, not at all rude. I can't really comment on the maids. I only saw them once the whole time I was there.

OVERALL

This place needs updating and facelift in the worst sort of way. It's been patched up but it needs way more TLC. For what you get, it's just too expensive. I've stayed in much nicer places for half the money during peak season.

I didn't hate my time at this motel, but I probably wouldn't return unless it's either remodeled or much cheaper.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank AUBeachPotato
Our intention is to be a good value for your hard-earned vacation time and money. I see that we fell short here, I am sorry for that. You mention: "average and okay", well that's just not good enough. Improvments will be made. Thank you for taking the time and effort to share your comments, they are appreciated.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Overall a nice facility but very modest, standard motel room. Location great on the island with direct beach access. Expensive considering nothing special about the room. Room appeared to have been freshend up with paint and new bathroom fixtures but only so much can be done in small rooms. About 90 % updating and some rough edges left like door trim that was freshly painted but obviously should have been replaced, additional other minor details, why cut corners and not do a complete job? Overall facility is maintained well. Nicely kept grounds, nice tennis courts. Really small pool. Never dined in the restaurant, which appeared to be nicely furnished, but no additional incentive apparent for motel guest to go there. Likewise the outdoor bar, no specials posted or extra incentive for hotel guests to buy food or drink. Considering price , it seems that bicycles could have been complimentary for a two or more night stay, at least for a day. One pays a lot for an average, basic motel room on the beach on the island.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Danny A, Director of Sales at Sanibel Island Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments, we appreciate them. Yes, I agree we are well-maintained and have very nice grounds and landscaping. As to "cutting corners" on some maintenance upkeep our guys do a great job keeping things refreshed until they are replaced during off peak season(late summer, fall) when our occupancy isn't so high so that we can take rooms out-of-service.
Sorry, you did not get advised on specials for guests at the Starfish Grille & Star Bar, that we will improve. Thanks for your helpful remarks, I do hope you come and visit us again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanibel Island
Sanibel Inn
Sanibel Inn
#8 of 19 in Sanibel Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,271 reviews

Been to Sanibel Island Beach Resort? Share your experiences!