“Second time and still a good place”

Sanibel Island Beach Resort
Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Frederick, Maryland
“Second time and still a good place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

This is my second time staying here. We stayed in a different building and on the ground level instead of the second floor this time. The room was very clean and spacious. The amenities were really great and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Hollywood, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

My wife and I stayed on this property in December 2013. I have to say that we were highly impressed with this particular Holiday Inn. The room was fine (nothing special, but definitely clean and very livable). The decor is very beachy (not in a 'Golden Girls' kind of way) but calming and island cheerful. The beds were comfy enough and quite restful. The grounds were likewise very nice--again nothing special, but definitely very clean, and very walkable. The sidewalks and parking lot were spotless and immaculately maintained. We would definitely come back and highly recommend this hotel for several reasons. First, the property is right on a very nice beach. It's right there. Not a long walk at all. The hotel has chairs and lounges set for the guests to use on the beach. There was never a problem getting lounge chairs. Secondly, the staff was so friendly and accommodating! Paulette at the front desk and Rosie and Jean Claude at the restaurant were very friendly and always willing to help. Third, a very nice pool area with a great Tiki bar. The pool itself is not luxurious or imposing but it is very clean and very well maintained. Fourth, a very good restaurant with a very helpful and obliging staff. The restaurant is pretty trendy and has some very good and well-prepared food. If you want a quiet, couples-style restaurant, this would be a good pick for you. Fifth, the Tiki bar had very nice and friendly servers. Between the pool and the beach is a small green area with hammocks--very nice area for anyone wanting to relax away from the beach (but watch out for the gnats at or about sunset). Overall, I would say this is a great place for couples or people looking for a casual place to stay, or to get away, but who still appreciate good food and a great beach. It's not the Ritz Carlton, or the Waldorf, but it is a great casual, down to earth option for couples wanting to relax. We can't wait to go back. Great job, Holiday Inn!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Julio G
Danny A, Director of Sales at Sanibel Island Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Thank you for staying with us. See that you discovered the Starfish Grille and thrilled you enjoyed the food and service. It's very nice of you to mention our staff(and Starfish's) as they really want to see folks make the most of their "getaway time". We appreciate you taking time to share your comments.
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

We stayed at this property in December 2013 with our two young children. We had an extra large room above the gift shop that had a family room separate from the bedroom (this is nice if you have a family or even a nanny/baby sitter traveling with you - but the bathroom is in the bedroom area so a person staying in the family room would still walk by the bed in the bedroom, so not totally perfect). We normally stay at Marriott properties (to give you a frame of reference). I have to say that I was highly impressed this particular Holiday Inn. I didn't expect a luxurious, posh experience at a Holiday Inn. In fact, I really just expected a fairly clean mediocre experience. The room was fine - it had a microwave and fridge (met our needs) - and basically what I expected. The grounds were nice, nothing special, but definitely nice and very walkable (great for people with walking limitations). Here are the reasons I would highly recommend this hotel, and why I would come back: 1) nice pool area with great Tiki bar; 2) fantastic restaurant; 3) right on the beach. The pool area overlooks the beach and ocean - amazing. Pool itself is just fine. Not an infinity pool, but it's nice. There are some very nice lounge areas (couches and umbrellas) around the pool - definitely a little nicer than what I expected for a Holiday Inn. The Tiki bar had very friendly servers and very solid food and drinks. Wait time for food was a bit long, so you need to plan on that when placing your order. Between the pool and the beach is a small green area with hammocks - very nice alternative area for kids to run around (and the only kids running around were mine). I also really liked this area. Then, there is the beach - it's right there. No long walk. The hotel has chairs, etc. set for the guests to use on the beach. There was never a problem getting lounge chairs. Then, there is the restaurant. I live in a big city, I am probably a bit snobbish when it comes to food. I was expecting a horrible family restaurant type of experience. Instead, the restaurant is pretty trendy and has AMAZING food. We ate there twice (and there are TONS of great restaurants in Sanibel so that says something). I was extremely skeptical of the sushi night, but I had some the best rolls I have ever had in my life (in Chicago, DC, San Fran, and NY). If you want a family style restaurant, this would not be a good pick for you. Overall, I would say this is a great place for families or people looking for a casual place to stay, but who still appreciate a good pool area and good food. It's not a W or the Ritz, but it is a great casual, down to earth option for families. I can't wait to go back (again and again)!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank KatieGJD
Very happy your family enjoyed your stay at our hotel and on Sanibel Island. Your comments really hit home with me because my first visits to Sanibel Island were with my parents, as a kid, and I fell in love with the island.
I will pass along your comments to the folks at the Starfish Grille, and really agree it's not a typical Holiday Inn restaurant(mean that in a good way, great sushi not usually found in hotel restaurants), very wonderful menu.
Thanks for your comments and hurry back!
Crystal Beach, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

While the beachfront location is nice our "gulf front " room faced a shed and was below the level of the pool deck. The air conditioner made a terrible racket all night long. I had requested a room with a nice gulf view and was told at check in that the room did have a lovely view but this was clearly not true. The hotel is older but you can tell that attempts have been made to update it with new furniture and drapes, however, it still feels dated. I do not think it was worth the money spent, particularily for the "gulf front" upgrade. The front desk staff was not helpful and appeared to care less about the problem with the air conditioner. The proximity to the beach was nice. Futuristically, when traveling to Sanibel Island I will choose another hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms all have outside entrances and a window facing out. If you want an inside corrider this i...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Danny A, Director of Sales at Sanibel Island Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for staying with us. Sorry we disappointed you! There is never an excuse for our staff not having a caring attitude and that is not our culture here. That disappoints me. We do have staff on hand for any maintenance issues, including A/C, very important here in south Florida. Thank you for sharing your comments; they will help us do better!
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Sanibel on family vacation (w/3 kids under 10) over New Year's week. Hotel was very full, but did not seem super-crowded and was (surprisingly) not that noisy. Having a heated pool with bar area steps away from a very well maintained beach with lounge chairs was super-convenient. We initially requested 2 rooms with adjoining door and did not get that, but they were able to change us after the first night, and moved all of our stuff to the new rooms seamlessly (even found a few items we missed and forgot to pack). Overall our experience was very positive. The only negatives were slow service in the Starfish Grille (we only ate there once as a result), and relatively high price of room(s).

Room Tip: I think 2nd floor might be better, as opposed to first, because you won't hear faint footfalls a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Hep
Danny A, Director of Sales at Sanibel Island Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thanks for your comments! You did pick one of the busier weeks of the year, but at a small property like ours it never really feels overwhelming. Wonderful place for kids to be outdoors and enjoy the beach and pool, all right there together! Thank you for staying with us, we do appreciate it.
Muskoka District, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

As far the positives go, this hotel has LOCCATION<LOCATION<LOCATION and therefore can charge well over $200 a night (as do most hotels on Sanibel) It is less than a minute walk to the beach.
There is not much more that is really positive or for that matter equal to a usual holiday inn express. The grounds are well maintained but the hotel has seen better days. It is clean but obviously aged.
Maybe it is just me but I was surprised to find that my room did not have a bath tub and there was no complimentary breakfast. I guess I take these things for granted at HI.
If I came back to Sanibel I would likely try out a different hotel to at least compare.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your comments!
Yes, we are an older hotel, but very well maintained, I think, our ownership has always been good at re-investing in the property.
Correct, no free breakfast, we have a full service restaurant, lounge, and beach tiki bar, that are privately owned and quite good and very popular on the island: the Starfish Grille. Very happy you enjoyed the island and the beach.
Neuchatel, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

I have stayed in so many hotels in Florida, this one is the worse... It feels like staying in a cheap motel in the 80's...In addition, the front desk staff is just terrible. Fortunately it is easy to find other much better hotels on the island.

Room Tip: well, choose another hotel on the island.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank arnaud l
Danny A, Director of Sales at Sanibel Island Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Ok, think it's safe to say: you did not like our hotel or staff. Very sorry we disappointed you, don't have any specifics that I can check, but sure hope you managed to enjoy your time on Sanibel Island.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanibel Island
Sanibel Inn
Sanibel Inn
#9 of 19 in Sanibel Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,253 reviews

Been to Sanibel Island Beach Resort? Share your experiences!