“Great place but lacks guest service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sanibel Island Beach Resort

Sanibel Island Beach Resort
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Sanibel Island
“Great place but lacks guest service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

I was a bit leary about using a chain hotel in sanibel since I usually stay in private rentals. I was surprised with a nice property including hammock areas, pool with bar, and of course the private beach. The room was a nice surprise also being this is more of a motel, it was clean and gave a large amount of room. The AC lacked a bit. Now my concerns: Don't rent bikes from hotel they are warm down and break down in you. My fiance and I were biking through the island when my chain completely broke which stranded us on the opposite side of the island. The hotel sent a man named Ivan to pick us and the bikes up. Ivan was a great example of what guest service means, he was amazing, he apologized, and offered insight into the island during our ride back to the hotel. Ivan should be promoted for his great guest satisfaction focus. Now that care seriously lacks at the front desk. When I checked it the female manager on duty was very rude and seemed like she did not want to be bothered by our questions about things to do around the island. She put a very sour taste in our mouths from moment one which is hard to forget. She needs some refresher courses on guest appreciation. So outside of the rudeness of the FD we made the most of our experience despite the bikes breaking but big kudos to Ivan once again for all his help!

• Stayed August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Danny A, Director of Sales at Sanibel Island Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Sorry to hear that our front desk did not seem attentive to your questions concerning things to do on Sanibel Island. I offer no excuse for that. That is not how we train and certainly not how our clerks normally act. I will share your comments at our daily staff meeting and we will learn from it.
Our contract with our bike provider includes maintenance and I am truly sorry your's broke down. We have had the fleet serviced thanks to your helpful comments. Ivan is wonderful, I do agree. Thanks for sharing your comments.
danny@sanibelbeachresort.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
Tarpon Springs, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

The only plus about this Hotel is that it is very close to the beach. The rooms do not match the price as, they are very much in need of upgrading (Rusty Bathtubs). There are no amenities whatsoever. The front desk staff barely greeted us when we arrived and seemed aloof. I emailed in advance that it was our wedding anniversary in hopes that they would offer maybe an upgrade or at least something extra or special. They did nothing except to make us wait until 3 pm to check in. This was the first time staying at a Holiday Inn for our anniversary and will be the last. In the past we hve stayed at a Marriott property and they have always recognized special occasions with upgrades and or a bottle of wine and a beautiful cheese or dessert plate. As a gold member of IHG Rewards I would assumed that they would of stepped up their game and been a little more accommodating.

Room Tip: Rooms have outside entrances like a motel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Danny A, Director of Sales at Sanibel Island Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Wow, sorry we did not make you feel special on your special occasion. Sounds like we missed the mark this time. I apologize for that. We really do appreciate your being an IHG Rewards member and your loyalty. Sorry we didn't express it.
I think we have some nice amenities here: the Starfish Grille, the Star Bar on the beach, tennis courts, table tennis on the beach, bike rentals, no charge cabanas, no charge lounges on the beach, no charge umbrellas on the beach, but I do understand all that doesn't mean much if we are not friendly. That we can correct. Thanks for your comments.
Mt. Tabor, VT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

I have stayed here five or six times as well as many, many others and have not found a better value on Sanibel. While I prefer Captiva, the prices are much higher for the same type of room. I love that this place does not nickel and dime you to death once you arrive like most of the places that I have stayed at on Captiva. There are free chairs shade cabanas on the beach for hotel guests. The pool bar offers an extensive selection for lunch as well as the typical frozen drinks. I have never eaten at their restaurant simply because there are so many restaurants that I always love to eat at in this area. Service from check in to check out is always flawless (and I am pretty picky).

Room Tip: Get a room facing the beach, it is worth the extra money.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for sharing your comments. Thanks also for being a repeat guest, that says a lot! I can't fight you on loving Captiva, it's one of the most beautiful places on earth. You really should try our restaurant, the Starfish Grille, especially on sushi nights(Tuesday & Thursdays), I think you'll add it to your list. See you next time!
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Booked a 3 night trip to Sanibel at the Holiday Inn. We got there early and the room was ready. Hotel staff was accommodating and helpful. The room was a good size, we had two queen/full beds and it had tile floors (first floor room). It was equipped with a refrigerator and microwave. This is where the positives ended. After getting settled in and unpacking my daughter was walking around in the room with her shoes off and complained about her feet being covered with sand. After taking my shoes off I realized that the floors were covered in sand even though we had not been to the beach and the room had been "cleaned" prior to us checking in. The bathroom was in disrepair. The exterior of the bathtub was rusting out and there was a black/brown substance in the corners near the floor. The tile grout was moldy and discolored. At night when we gave the kids a bath a white film (caulking or paint?) was peeling off the tub. Later that night when lying in bed a flying bug landed on my head. This was the breaking point for me. I called the front desk and informed them we would be checking out first thing in the morning. They didn't seem surprised and there was no fees for canceling the rest of our stay. We found another hotel and booked it that night. While the beach area is nice and the shelling is good, it is not exclusive to this hotel. The shelling and beaches are nice all over he islands. The hotel could be great but it needs a facelift and new housekeeping. There are better options for hotels on Sanibel and Captiva. Do your homework and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel. If not get a room with carpet and not tile.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Sorry that you and your family were not happy with your stay at our hotel. Housekeeping and cleanliness are usually a strong point for us, so we are disappointed we let you down. We will use your comments to improve our commitment to provide great guest service. Thank you.
Gilbert, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

I used to love this hotel. I live in Arizona and my family would have reunions every summer there. I booked again for this summer and unfortunately my mother fell and broke her hip and could not travel. I know the rate I booked was non-refundable but I didn't choose not to go on a whim, my mom had just gotten out of the hospital. The management did offer to rebook for a different date, however as I said, I live in AZ and can't get to FL to easily. I was hoping that management could at least refund a portion of the room fee which cost me over $600, but that was not an option. I only hope that this never happens to anyone else because $600 is a lot to lose, especially when I have hospital bills to pay. I guarantee I will never stay there again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AZmom2013
Danny A, Director of Sales at Sanibel Island Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
So sorry to hear of your Mother's fall, hope she is feeling better.
It was good to see we were able to offer you to book a future date, sometimes the option is not available to us if booked thru a third party, that way you don't lose your money. Thank you for sharing your comments.
Orange City, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

We had a wonderful getaway and it turned out to be a beautiful weekend. Sanibel Island is worth going and the SHELLING is worth the trip. The hotel is on the beach and all the extras are there without all the hassle like other hotels. Keep a eye on the little GATOR in the pond he will get big in time! The hammocks were nice and just chilling was a vacation to remember. We will go there again!

Room Tip: Rooms by the pool facing the beach are the best!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbia, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Had a great King room (get one on the second floor). It was clean, quiet and a great value for the money. ALL the staff was wonderful. Note this place is older but very well maintained. Room had a flat screen TV sat with HBO, free internet wireless, microwave and fridg. Older furniture although the mattress was newer and very comfortable.The setting is beautiful- great pool, easy access to beach and great landscaping. Rooms 242, and others on that side are best but hard to get. We had a room near the office but it still was almost on the beach. The restaurant has 5 star food although a little expensive but what isn't in Sanibel. Great pool and bar. Even though the place was full it was quiet - I did not find the 1 star reviews to be correct. If you are looking for a nice place to stay that isn't the Waldorf this place has it all. We would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sanibel Inn
Sanibel Inn
#9 of 19 in Sanibel Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,233 reviews

Been to Sanibel Island Beach Resort? Share your experiences!