“Nice location, a little long in the tooth”

Sunshine Island Inn
Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We spent two nights here in December and enjoyed the proximity to the beach (although it wasn't exactly clear how to get to the beach without walking through private property.) We had a large room with 2 doubles and a futon (which my teenager loved). There was a small kitchen area and a separate bathroom.

We also brought our dog with us (no extra charge). Be warned: no shampoo is provided. Also, the beds were a little uncomfortable and the furniture was dated. The room was clean when we arrived and everything worked OK.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank pjs678

Reviewed November 18, 2012

My friend and I stayed there 6 nights. We stayed in the Palm Cottage. It had a king size bed, full kitchen, nice seating area and nice size bathroom. It was very clean. Pool was nice. You had the option of maid service. We opted out. They had a very nice laundry room also. The grounds were very well taken care of, with the canal in the back. We were only across the street to the beach. They had chairs and beach towels we could take over with us. The whole area was so nice and peaceful. VERY relaxing. Just what we wanted. Karen was a great manager. If we get back next year we will definitely be staying there!

Room Tip: We never saw any of the other rooms. So not sure what they had.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife Lisa and I spent the week that spanned Halloween 2012 in the Tropical Paradise room. We arrived just when Hurricane Sandy was pounding the North East and lots of rain and cold was coming to our home in West Virginia. The Sunshine Island Inn is not like the sterile- cookie cutter motels that can be found elsewhere. It is an older facility decorated in a nostalgic floridian decor. Everything was clean and functioned well. The staff was helpful and informative. The local wildlife is fascinating. Ospreys in the Norflolk pine. Small owls in holes in the trees, Manitee. A short walk across the street to the beach provides a treasure trove for the "SHELLERS" in your party. Each evening just before sunset the dolphins could be seen only a few feet off the beach herding fish for their evening supper. Pelicans spend the evening plunging head first into the sea after fish and the egrets, herons and gulls share the beach. My wife and I spent the days visiting local sights such as Gatorama, Jungle Erv's airboats, the shell museum, Ft. Myer Butterfly house and of course the Wildlife Reserve on Sanibel. The afternoons and evenings were spent exploring the local eateries (Never the same twice) and watching the sunset at the beach while the wife found every shell available.
John Murphy

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mike M
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I went to the Sunshine Island Inn for a few days of rest and relaxation last week, August 14-17. I went on my trip alone & was concerned that i'd be bored, lost and not know what to do or where to go during my stay. Upon arrival, I was met by Karen, the property manager & from our first meeting, she was absolutley warm & welcoming. Of course, I had tons of "tourist" questions, and based on previous trips , I expected to be handed a ton of brochures and sent on my way. This wasen't the case. Karen took the time to answer all of my questions & seemed actually happy to assist me. Before I had even settled into my room, I had been introduced to her daughter & son in law who were visiting from WV. They also, were very kind & welcoming. Karen & her family took me under their wings & I ended up spending most of my vacation with them, never feeling alone or lost. :) As far as my accomodations, I stayed in the Heron room, a studio that was very clean, & inviting. The bed was by far the most comfy bed i'd slept on, including my own. I felt very safe as wel. One of my concerns, prior to arrival was the pool being centered between the other rooms, that the noise would be intrusive & also result in a lack of privacy. It was quite the opposite. The evenings were so quite that you could hear a pin drop & the days, although not alot of people were out, created an envireonment to "meet the neighbors" . I also met the groundskeeper Cindy, who was also very friendly. All in all, I was very pleased with The Sunshine Island Inn & will definatly go back! I have made friends & that has never happened to me on a vacation. If you are looking for an inexpensive, tranquil place to stay in Sanibel, this is the place to go. You won't be dissapointed. My only complaint is that it was that my stay ended so soon. :) Thanks Karen for a wonderful trip & for your genuine kindness, you are the best ! :)

Room Tip: If you are going solo, the Heron Room is all you will need !
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Lorrie O
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Really enjoyed our first visit to Sanibel Island and the Sunshine Island Inn. Karen the hostess was super helpful and accomodating We stayed in the one bedroom Tropical Room with all the amenites we needed. Beach access was right across the street and the inn provides the umbrellas and chairs and beach towels. And if we needed anything else. all we had to do was ask. Quiet location and nice pool area too. Very family orientated. We enjoyed the Island Cow Restaurant for dinner and Jerrys Restaurant for breakfast. Affordable and deliicous. (We didn't shop at jerrys, went to publix before we arrived on the island) Maybe the beach chairs and umbrellas could be replaced but we were very pleased with our stay. Looking forward to next year. Thanks.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mm404
Reviewed July 8, 2012

This was our first visit to Sanibel. We loved the charm! This inn was cozy and comfortable. While it doesn't boast the perks of higher end resorts, it offers a less-crowded beach, more space, thoughtful extras like chairs and beach towels, and easy access to all of Sanibel. Highly recommend. Joy & Mark

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JoyB737
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We stayed in The Tropical Paradise room and it was home away from home. Jean was very friendly as well as all the guests. We will be going back soon! The pool isnt freezing cold like most are. Thats real important to me.
Mel and Bob

Room Tip: The Tropical Paradise room is closest to the river and a little separate from the other rooms. Its s...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple