“Very personalized service at the Visitor's center” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sanibel and Captiva Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Center

Sanibel and Captiva Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Center
More attraction details
Owner description: The Sanibel & Captiva Islands Chamber of Commerce Visitor Center is your official source when visiting our beautiful islands. Stop in for information on lodging, restaurants, activities, shopping, attractions, and much more!
Phoenix, Arizona
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“Very personalized service at the Visitor's center”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

My family of 4 visited the Sanibel Island on a Saturday afternoon.
We drove from Weston, FL - took about 2 hours to reach Sanibel.
Though we had looked at Tripadvisor for potential spots to visit, we stopped at the visitor's center to get some pointers on spots to visit and places to avoid.

The person at the desk was very helpful. He asked some probing questions on how many were travelling and what we were interested in doing, upon which he suggested to visit Bowman's Beach. He indicated that we get some refreshments before we head to the beach as there were no eateries in the area. He also gave a few pamphlets on sea shells, which my girls loved collecting, and had fun trying to identify the shells collected with their names. He also gave a few coloring books to keep the kids occupied.
We took his advice, went to a nearby grocery store on Promenade Avenue, stocked up on fruits and water, bought some Subway sandwiches and headed to the beach.

We ended up going to Bowman's beach first. It is a slightly long walk from the parking lot to the beach, so please be prepared for this in case you have to take a lot of things with you.
We had fun playing in the water, and the kids (5&3) had fun collecting sea shells and chasing sea gulls.

The Sea Shell museum was closed, so we could not go there. But we could see the giant sea shell displays from the outside, which was beautiful.

Some general negatives:
There is a $6 entrance fee to the island itself. On top, parking is expensive at the beaches.
The pathway to the beach was full of water from the wayside shower water not able to drain anywhere. Food is slightly expensive within the island, so you might want to stock up before entering the island. There is a Walmart supercenter, outlet malls, plenty of eateries outside the island. For those not carrying a traditional map, the smartphone Yellow pages app does provide a good list of restaurants and places, so keep your phone charged at all times!

Overall, we had a fun filled 4 hours after which we headed back to Weston.

Looking forward to another trip in a few months.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Carrick on Shannon, Leitrim, Ireland
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Super helpful staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

Super staff and every brochure and piece of info about the island and the surrounding area that you could possibly want-- from food, entertainment, water sports, real estate, tides, history- they seemed keen to help and not hurry us along.

Clinton ,MA
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Wonderful information & staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

As I had done much of my research before my trip to Sanibel, either via Trip Advisor forums and reviews or other sites I was planning on stopping here as soon as I crossed the bridge onto the island. I was so glad I did. Tom, one of the staff, was very helpful and provided me with an array of resources to review and many coupons for places I had wanted to visit. I was especially grateful for the 50% off the Captiva Cruise I had booked for later in the week.
I have experienced a variety of visitor centers around the country, but these gentlemen just seemed sincerely interested in helping you find whatever you were interested in doing for your vacation. I am guessing it is the "island personality" as it seems to have the "don't worry, be happy" attitude. Or maybe they just are enjoying their retirement in a beautiful setting?
I was very appreciative of the tips Tom shared for dining and especially for the hand written list of local spots that were closed temporarily as it was off season.
I would definitely recommend to anyone coming onto the island for the first time to stop and visit with this fine staff. I was glad I did. This visitors center is a valuable asset to the tourists.

Columbus, Ohio
98 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 122 helpful votes
“First Stop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

The staff are extremely informative and helpful. There is a ton of information and coupons to take advantage of. The staff will also give you an opinion, when asked, about any given activity. Should definitely be your first stop when getting off the causeway.

Herndon, Virginia
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Excellent information”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

The staff at the Visitor Center know everything you ever wanted to know about the Islands. They have great information about activities, restaurants and are willing to answer just about any question. A must stop location as you reach the island.

Visited September 2013

Travelers who viewed Sanibel and Captiva Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Center also viewed

Sanibel Island, Southwest Gulf Coast

Been to Sanibel and Captiva Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Center? Share your experiences!