“Wonderful except for night time people upstairs.”

Sanibel Moorings Resort
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Reviewed June 28, 2010

We recently spent a week at the Sanibel Moorings with our three young children and extended family. We spent the extra money and had an oceanfront room. This place really is wonderful. It is beautiful, friendly atmosphere during the day, clean, and the grounds are wonderful. My only complaint is that the people above us were up most of the night. The first night 4 am - very loud and fighting - the second night 1 am. I went to the office and told them of the situation. Nothing was done and the third night at 2 am my husband was going to call the cops but they settled about 3 am. I went to the office again and that night it was 12 am and our final night was quiet. On check out I was told that these people have come there for the past four years and stay a month. If we had trouble again "we" were to call the cops - they actually said they have had to call the cops before. I realized then that my complaints meant nothing when they were getting a month's worth of ocean front rent out of these people and they keep letting them come back even though they have previously caused problems. The complex has a night time quiet rule as it is noted as a family place -- it is to be quiet from 10 pm until 8 am but that doesn't mean much when it is not enforced to all the renters. We were not compensated or discounted for our troubles. They just shook their heads and said they were night people and again "we" were to call the cops. I would recommend this place but I would either make sure I was on the second floor or ask who is renting above you.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank FjordHorse_10
There are newer reviews for Sanibel Moorings Resort

Reviewed June 8, 2010

My boyfriend and his sister spent every summer at Sanibel Moorings as children but haven't been back in about 10 years. When we arrived we were welcomed by the office and we inquired about the location of our room in comparison to our travel companions. On the map it looks very far but in reality it was less than a minute walk across the street (we were in building 14 and they were in building 9). Our room (room 1441) was very homey. You can tell that the owners really put a lot of love into the place with all the small details they added. We were on the dockside and our screened in patio (equipped with a fan) looked out onto the canal and the pool which was to the right of us. We had no issues with noise; in fact the pool on our side was empty most of the time. The grounds are maintained very well and there are bike paths outside of the hotel that go around the island. The beach is located just across the street and chairs are available free of charge. We ate out for every meal and didn't really utilize the kitchen except for the refrigerator to store snacks. The grocery stores on the island were a bit more expensive then usual but very nice. We would absolutely go back to visit and request the same room that we stayed in.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MiamiVicky
Reviewed May 23, 2010

We flew into Fort Myers airport and rented a car (AAA had the best rate) to begin our week's vacation with our two children ages 28 and 19.
Sanibel Moorings are privately owned condos managed by a company. Therefore each one is decorated differently by the owners.
We shopped at Walmart for our food before crossing the bridge (toll $6) which was much cheaper than the two grocery stores on the island. Buy your pool toys too!
There is also an outlet mall before the bridge.
We had an ocean front 2 bed/2 bath condo. Beautifully decorated. The kitchen had every utensil imaginable. Dishwasher also. Our unit had a washer and dryer too. Some units may not but there are laundry facilities on the property.
Two nice pools. The conference center has half a dozen computers, a printer and paper.
The beach is very nice. Lounge chairs are on the way to the beach as are umbrellas (in a storage box). You take what you want and return when done.
High tide/low tide changes daily. There is a schedule by the office. Shells are very plentiful during low tide as are crabs, star fish, sand dollars. A pail and shovel are helpful for shelling. We wish we had brought binoculars as there some interesting things in the water. Dolphins, various birds, wind surfers, etc.
You can rent bicycles to ride all week. Pedestrians have the right of way!
We ate several meals on the island (there are over 40 restaurants) but that got kind of pricey.
We walked every morning on the beach. One way leads to the lighthouse and the other way leads to an area with mammoth shell piles (both maybe a mile away).
Bring bug spray for the no seeums.
It's a great relaxing place. Not too much activity but then we have enough of that the other 51 weeks of the year!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 23, 2010

Our group of 13 included a 7 year old and a 7 month old. We were celebrating an 80th birthday. We had two units. Our three bedroom unit was a minute from the beach and 30 seconds from the pool. It was our base of operations. We also had a two bedroom off the beach. All we wanted to do was swim, relax, and enjoy the family. Mission accomplished. Our unit was clean, well appointed, and fairly well stocked with equipment for cooking. The master suite was comfortable and faced the beach. We fell asleep to pounding waved. One niece went on a tour of a nature preserve and loved it. One night, we walked along the beach and the animals out on the nearby sandbar were incredible. Shopping was nearby, and for an Island, was not outrageous. The staff was courteous and helpful. All in all, we had such a great time that we are planning a return next year with even more family...provided BP has not destroyed the beaches.

• Stayed: May 2010
Reviewed May 12, 2010

The Moorings is an absolutely perfect family place to stay. The grounds and gardens are impeccable. The first thing you notice upon parking your car is the sweet scent of honeysuckle! The place is quiet and they have thought of everything. We stayed in a beach front unit #1112 and the balcony views were fantastic. This was a two bedroom unit and they even had everything from beach chairs to fishing rods and sand toys for the kids. The moorings offers free kayak and canoe rental to explore the canals with. This was our first trip to Sanibel and we were so fortunate to have gotten it "right" the first time. It definitely won't be our last either. The pool is centrally located and easily accessible as is the laundry and office. We didn't find time to take the guided garden tour but will do so next time. The sun rise is incredible, be sure to get up early to see it. The shelling was fantastic right at the Moorings. We walked to the light house and back while shelling but we discovered that the best variety of shells was right in front of our unit. We drove to blind pass to watch the sunset-picture perfect every set! We purchased groceries before coming onto the island and only ate at one local establishment called Cheeburger Cheeburger. They have great burgers and the best rings I have ever eaten. Nice vacation! The bait box will hook you up with bait or a chartered fishing trip. I recommend Whitney Jones....he is a fun guide and good fisherman. Ding Darling is a must see for the bird enthusiast. Too many good things to say....Don't miss out on a real keeper

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 6, 2010

This is an older property on a lovely beach. You can book beachside or dockside rooms. Dockside rooms are on the other side of the road but it is only a couple of minutes from the lovely beach. It was misleading as we booked a dockside room expecting to look out over the dock but this wasn't the case, we were on the dockside but looked out over the car park which wasn't what we had expected. After I complained we were offered a room looking out over the dock but it wasn't as nice as the original one so decided to go for the nicer room.
Nevertheless the condo, although old, was very clean and nicely decorated with a very comfortable bed and was extremely quiet at night.
There are two small pools which are quite old and I think the property does need some updating.
I also pre-paid when booking and didn't then expect to pay a resort fee on arrival, but was asked for this at check-in. We did pay this as it was insisted upon.
We will definitely go back to Sanibel Island as we fell in love with it but will look for a more modern property to stay at.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank EnglishLady
Reviewed May 3, 2010

My husband and I and our 10 year old were at Sanibel Moorings from April 19-23rd. We flew into Fort Myers - rented a car - and stayed overnight at FM (Airport Hampton Inn - excellent) and went to the Moorings the following morning (Visited the Edison & Ford Winter estates, a must see - Edison was more than the inventor of the light bulb! - and Sun Harvest Citrus -caould have skipped this-). We did stop at the Publix that was closest to Sanibel before crossing the bridge (next time I'll shop at Jerry's in Sanibel - has better variety but you have to pay a little more). This was our first time in Sanibel and also renting a condo/apt for a vacation and we loved it. We were in Building #9 - Apt. 941 - 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms - with a garden view. It was fine not having the beach to look at. The Apt. was immaculate - well stocked with all the utensils, crockery and cutlery. You name it they had it except a pot scrubber - a dishcloth didn't do it for me. You need all your food items, even the salt and pepper. The pillows were a little too soft for me, but if you like soft pillows they should be fine. The courtyard had grills available. I used the laundry. Did not use the fitness center - which was housed in a tool shed like building. When there is a beach and bike/walk paths from one end of the island to the other I did not see any reason to use the fitness center. The grounds were well maintained with lots of tropical flora. Loved sitting in the porch and having my coffee in the morning, or a glass of wine in the evening. The first 2 days we walked, went to Ding Darling, Shell Museum, CROW and drove to Captiva (no bike paths to walk, I am glad I was not staying there). My son was happy to be in the pool the last two days. He made lots of friends - and during the day our condo area was noisy because the pool was so close to it, but once the sun went down and all the kids were in bed, there was quiet. I did not want a noisy place with people partying and keeping us awake. The Moorings had a wonderful mix of grandparents who are residents, visiting family members and tourists like us. I walked four miles a day on the beach - saw sting rays, dolphins, great blue herons, white egrets, and lots of shore birds. The beach was the site of four protected snowy white plover nests. And of course there were shells and more shells. We ate out one meal a day - more about that in my restaurant reviews. We could have done a better job eating at home - I cook and everything I ate was good, but not wow for the amount of money I paid - except the Mad Hatter - amazing meal and sunset, but it costs an arm and a leg. As I told my husband - I don't have to go to the Caribbean anymore - Sanibel & Sanibel Moorings is just fine. I really don't want too many people to know about this place! I would recommend this place even to our friends in their 50's who don't have children.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
#10 of 20 in Sanibel Island
West Wind Inn
West Wind Inn
#5 of 20 in Sanibel Island

Been to Sanibel Moorings Resort? Share your experiences!