Sanibel Moorings Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Song of the Sea(Sanibel Island)
Sanibel Inn(Sanibel Island)
Very Good 4/5
Sunshine Island Inn(Sanibel Island)
Seaside Inn(Sanibel Island)
Great 4.5/5
Anchor Inn & Cottages(Sanibel Island)
Good 3.5/5
Parrot Nest(Sanibel Island)
Seahorse Cottages(Sanibel Island)
Very Good 4/5
All reviewscanal sidegarden tourconference centertowel exchangecourtyard viewgrounds are beautifulthe kitchenoffice stafftwo bedroom unitbeach chairs and umbrellaswonderful stayeasy access to the beachlaundry facilitiesgreat family vacationplenty of chairshome away from homesecond floor
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We were at the Moorings Dec 19 to Dec 31, 2012
Our Unit was #1121, 2 B/B, ground floor, with direct Gulf view. It was a perfect location.

The reception office personnel were friendly, but not entirely "engaged"...think Christmas/holiday preoccupation.

These buildings are quite old...upwards of 40 years, I was told. Many families have a yearly tradition of happily returning to this property.

The beach is wonderful...and indeed shell-covered! Sunrise/sunsets are spectacular. The beach lounge chairs are adequate in number when not confiscated by the neighboring resort. Each condo is charged a $40 "resort fee", so this should be monitored somehow. "No-seeums" are everywhere,..even indoors, but that's par for a beach location.

I agree with Shelly K regarding absence of the items I usually found in past vacation rentals. The entire unit was very clean....just tired.

Our unit had living room furniture which was comfortable, but old and dreary and a TV which frequently went "black"

The small bedroom was attractively furnished and had a nice wall mounted TV. That bath was attractively painted/ cute shower curtain and mat. It had a tub and hand shower.

The Master bedroom was indeed sad. Drapes and coverlet were a dingy brown. The walls were only a tad lighter.That bath was a sort of plastic "box" with a door and hand shower. No bath mat. The ceiling was peeling. Otherwise, it was very clean.

All beds were comfortable. A/C fine.

The drapes were sheers and in good condition. There was beige shag carpeting throughout, while old, seemed quite clean. There was ceramic floor tile in the kitchen/nook area.

The kitchen was galley-style with older fridge, stove and dishwasher...all of which were serviceable.. Dishes and silverware/cooking utensils were adequate.

The WiFi was fine and easy to access.

The pool was clean, but very small considering the size of this property. It was heated which was great on chilly days. Sadly, it was much too small for the number of guests present and it was also frequented by "non-guests". The pool is surrounded by walls of other buildings which shelter it from the wind. Again a good thing during our visit.

The adjoining "kiddie" pool was too small for anything but the smallest 2 or 3 toddlers...who seemed to prefer the big pool with their parents.

The grounds are neat and well-kept, but nothing spectacular.

The lanai view saved this unit IMHO. The lanai was screened-in and had a great view of the Gulf. It had two plastic chairs and table and a "drying" rack. The sliding doors didn't "slide" easily. I was told the entire complex would have the doors replaced this year.

I did preview this unit on the website. It looked great. I agree with others that it was not at all up to the usual standards of the price range. I completed and turned in the evaluation form we were given.

I might return to this property due to it's wonderful location but would not use this unit again.

Room Tip: It is definitely a View VS Value decision.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
14  Thank Gnf
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We very much enjoyed our stay the week of Christmas in 2012. The unit was clean, nicely furnished and decorated and generally well maintained. The location was excellent, with very good beach access and proximity to the main strip for dining and shopping. However, for the price, the level of service and property management practices were odd to say the least. I didn't expect the unit to be cleaned (it wasn't), and I guess I can understand the office closing early on Christmas Eve, and not being open on Christmas - though perhaps being completely closed from 2:00 on the 24th through the 25th is a bit much for a high season period. This was problematic because they don't provide beach or pool towels except from the front desk - which was closed the for the afternoon and first full day of our stay. But stranger still was the lack of basic supplies. The kitchen, was well stocked with pots and pans, plates and utensils, but had no supplies whatsoever. I've stayed in a lot of medium and high end house and condo rentals all around the US, and have never been in one before that didn't even have salt or pepper or a sponge. There was soap in the bathrooms, but no shampoo. The tissue and toilet paper was industrial grade. There was no communication of these atypical management practices in advance, so we didn't come prepared, and had to pay very high convenience store prices to supply ourselves for our stay. Also - the unit was right on the road, which would have been nice to know in the rental description. It really wasn't a problem, as the roads are not heavily traveled, but for the price, it would have been nice to know. That said - the place was very nice, the people were very pleasant and, had we known to expect the relatively low level of service provision (to be clear - not bad service, just a low level of planned service), we would have been fine with it.

9  Thank Shelley K
Reviewed December 31, 2012

My family and I have been visiting the Sanibel Moorings for years. The condo is fully fuctional as your own home would be. The staff is very friendly and very accomodating.
We always get a room on the ocean and it is clean and comfortable. It is very common to see Dolphin swiming in the ocean right next to you. The Moorings offer a great value.
They have movies to rent at the front desk, complimentary bikes to use and kayaks.
Don't miss out!

Room Tip: My only suggestion is to view the room online with the tour first, not all rooms are as up to date.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Stephanie K
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Sanibel Moorings itself is a great place. The location is great: all restaurants are within 5-10 minutes, the beach is right outside your door, there are docks for small boats, and it is extremely quiet. The grounds are well maintained every day and the rooms are kept as clean as humanly possible.

The downside (and reason I can't give it 5 stars) is that you just don't know what to expect from each individual unit. Our apartment was spotless but there were several things that I fault the owner for. The twin beds were hard as rocks (yet the king was soft and comfortable). The fridge was very old and it didn't keep the fish cold enough causing me to get sick the next day. Again, these are minor things but when for $400 a night (tax and activity fee included) I expect perfection.

Nonetheless, I highly recommend this place. The views are great (on either side of the road) and you will be on Sanibel beach in a minute or two. The grounds are extremely clean and the cleaning service is great. Just don't expect it to be like a hotel where they clean your room every day and make the beds (they don't).

TLDR: Great apartments, great location, good value. Your experience will depend on which room you rent (some are probably kept better than others). I had some minor faults with our apartment but I would return there.

Room Tip: Look at pictures of the actual room on their website before you book. Either side is perfectly fine. Bring soft foam for the hard mattresses on the twin beds.
5  Thank Donna S
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed in #1311, Dec. 19-25, 2012. The unit was very clean and very quiet. This is a court yard view. The ocean side would be more spectacular but all is within walking distance to the beach and this unit is very close to the docks and canal view. We were able to see a young dolphin in the canal and viewed them playig in the ocean. Up early EVERY morning to view the sunrise and search for shells. The shelling is unreal and addictive!!! The birds are everywhere as well! I can not say enough about the island. The community takes great pride in the cleaniness of all areas and have taken great strides to protect the island and the wildlife. The resort also has many gardens with incrediable flowers and trees. I will plan to return to your beautiful property and beautiful island. It is magical!! Thank you!

1  Thank IslandLover57702