“Excellent Italian restaurant”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: San-Cap Road
Description: IL Tesoro Ristorante, the restaurant name which means ,"the Treasure" in Italian, features authentic Italian cuisine with a modern sophisticated touch using only the freshest seasonal ingredients. Enjoy a festive experience in a Bistro-style setting, with hundreds of Italian wines and dozens of original oil paintings decorating the walls. Open kitchen flair is added enjoyment of the evening as you can watch your dinner being carefully prepared. Our menu is the total creation of Chef/Owner, AJ Black, where his motto reigns supreme, “Fresh Ingredients, simplicity, love are the recipe for a treasured dining experience."
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This was our first visit to Il Tesoro and we had an excellent experience here. Our server Demetrio was very knowledgable and took the time to explain everything very carefully. I had the carpaccio toscana with arugula salad and shaved parmesan for my antipasti. It was wonderful. I had the octopus linguini for my main course. What a sauce! It was absolutely delicious and I enjoyed every bite. This was a special and very good value I thought. The wines are expensive but very good. Our fellow diners all seemed to thoroughly enjoy their dining experience. I can highly recommend Il Tesoro if you are visiting Sanibel Island.

1  Thank StanleyMcNabb
iltesoro, Manager at Il Tesoro, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Awesome,Thank you! It is our goal to perfect what we do in food and service, and we will always continue to do so in the future. We look forward to serving you again! We really appreciate the great feedback. Also when in NYC please visit our location in the IL Tesoro in the UES.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

My mom and I make a yearly pilgrimage to Sanibel and every year we stop by Il Tesoro. Every time has been delicious and delightful, but this year was especially so! We had an amazing waiter who was so happy and upbeat, seemed to be logng his job, and had no trouble making recommendations on what to order. (I hate it when waiters tell you "Everything is good and it depends what whether you would rather have pasta or steak.) He steered us towards the most delicious Italian food I've ever tasted - and I've been to Italy! We had the antipasti - which was truly special! I dont even like vegetables but those zucchinis and eggplants are to die for. (The cheese and meats were great too - you can order just veggies if you want!) We then split a lobster ravioli appetizer which was creamy and delicious - then we had an amazing paparadella pasta dish with an amazing bolognese. The waiter told us the bolognese actually takes two days to make because the meat is slow cooked - and trust me - the work paid off. The meat was so tender and delicious I'm drooling just thinking about it! The pasta - which was made in house, was perfectly cooked and magical. I then had "key lime tiramisu" for dessert - where the lady fingers are soaked in a keylime liquor instead of coffee...it was truly special. Everyone was so happy and friendly and my mom and I left laughing with very happy full bellies. It might be a little pricey for some - but well worth it! If you are on Sanibel GO HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also - there was a large family at the table next to us - they seemed to be having a great time and sharing dishes and laughing! (They also raved about the shrimp scampi pasta and meatballs to us - apparently those were the stars of their meal. They everything was truly fabulous.) The atmosphere of the restaurant was upbeat and festive without being loud. Fun instrumental Italian music played in the background, conversations flowed easily but it was easy to hear each other. My mom and I had a great time, and there were a few couples on a dates and a few families of varying sizes, all seemed be having fun.

iltesoro, Manager at Il Tesoro, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

We appreciate the great feedback, and the continued visits you make to the restaurant are really so special to us. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you again, and also thank you for the great comments on our facebook page!

Reviewed July 7, 2013

The food is amazing! We plan to eat at Il Tesoro every time we are in town The place is small and quaint. It remindes us of a small restaurant in Italy. The service every time is fabulous.
HEAVEN!

iltesoro, Manager at Il Tesoro, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

We appreciate the time you had with us. Thank you so much and we look forward to serving you again!

Reviewed July 7, 2013

My friend and I, we are locals, visited a year ago and we couldn't stop talking about our meal there. The atmosphere was fantastic. The food is beautiful and delicious. If this is like an Italian grandmother kitchen, I am now an Italian, you could feel the love in the food. It's an open kitchen and the night we were there Chef Jack Black and his wife, Jolie were working. They have the
IL Tesoro on the corner of 82nd street and First Avenue, New York City. We are talking world class here in our local community, how lucky can we be! Yes meals are in the $30 range, It's still beats buying a plane ticket to the Big Apple for fine dining. Oh, did I tell you how wonderful the food tasted! Why did they decide to open a restaurant here in our little piece of paradise? Yeah, I think we can share it with them!!!

1  Thank Cynthia R
iltesoro, Owner at Il Tesoro, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

We appreciate the great feedback Cynthia! what a beautiful review from a beautiful special lady. Thank you, thank you please come back and see us often at both locations, it is a pleasure to serve you the very best we can.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

While visiting Sanibel Island with friends we were looking for a nice Friday evening dinner. After checking TA we decided on IL Tesoro. Since we were out of season, we were able to just walk in without a reservation. The atmosphere is romantic and cozy because it's not a huge place. We enjoyed our dinners very much. I had the spaghetti scampi and my wife enjoyed the spaghetti with mussels. Neither dish was doused in olive oil or overly garlicky tasting as is the case in many chain or lesser quality restaurants. Our server Brett was excellent and the owner stopped by to ensure our satisfaction. This is a wonderful restaurant for a special occasion, romantic dinner or just a fine quality Italian meal. It can be a little pricey though. They also have a sister restaurant in New York City on 82nd St.

1  Thank GPDfinest